BCS Bowl Games Set

ShaneDawg85

That's just not true. In 2004 Auburn ran the table in the SEC and got shut out. They were the best team in the country, but weren't in the "big draw" category of Oklahoma or USC, and Auburn is much higher in the pecking order than Vandy.

Fair point, but that was a year where there were two other undefeated teams who were both also considered to be better teams by the computers as the humans?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair point, but that was a year where there were two other undefeated teams who were both also considered to be better teams by the computers as the humans?

Well, that's the crux of why we have all this endless bullcrap about conferences. It's not gonna get minimized, much less go away, until we have an actual playoff of 8 or more teams. That's the only way to have a sane way of settling this stuff on field. Until that happens, it's just gonna be everybody's goofy biases, based on who they like and don't like, and those biases among poll voters and the dang bowl committees (who mainly care about renting hotel rooms) keep the whole thing screwed up.

You feel crapped on because you like the Big East. (BTW, how come you're a Big East person? If I ever knew, I forgot.) Just imagine if you were a fan of one the conferences that can count on getting absolutely screwed no matter what. Face it, right now there is absolutely no way to figure out how good TCU or Boise State really are, and the stupid BCS racket arranged to take away the 2 bowl game contests that might have told us something. I really want the politicos to stick their bribe-happy noses into this mess and make them cut it out this BCS-monopoly BS. In general, I'm in favor of fewer laws instead of more laws, but there are exceptions, and this is one of them...

Well, that's the crux of why we have all this endless bullcrap about conferences. It's not gonna get minimized, much less go away, until we have an actual playoff of 8 or more teams. That's the only way to have a sane way of settling this stuff on field. Until that happens, it's just gonna be everybody's goofy biases, based on who they like and don't like, and those biases among poll voters and the dang bowl committees (who mainly care about renting hotel rooms) keep the whole thing screwed up.

Agree completely.

You feel crapped on because you like the Big East. (BTW, how come you're a Big East person? If I ever knew, I forgot.) Just imagine if you were a fan of one the conferences that can count on getting absolutely screwed no matter what. Face it, right now there is absolutely no way to figure out how good TCU or Boise State really are, and the stupid BCS racket arranged to take away the 2 bowl game contests that might have told us something. I really want the politicos to stick their bribe-happy noses into this mess and make them cut it out this BCS-monopoly BS. In general, I'm in favor of fewer laws instead of more laws, but there are exceptions, and this is one of them...

My dad is a WVU grad - was there at the same time as the Logo. I grew up a Mountaineer fan and never changed my allegiance when I went to a where there were no major sports. I never cared one way or the other about the conference itself per se until the exodus when Swofford started trying stick the knife in saying that the Big East should lose it's bid. It was such sweet justice that for several years after the exodus it was the ACC whose teams were getting a bid to a BCS game that they never would have come close to qualifying for w/o the auto bid. Suddenly we didn't hear much from Swofford about eliminating unworthy conferences from the BCS while at the same time the Big East has done extrodinarily well in the BCS.

I know it would suck to root for a team in a non BCS conference knowing that no matter how well you play you're eliminated from playing for a NC from day one. And most schools from the BCS conferences will get near them for a regular season game. The way the system is setup it's a no win proposition for a team in say the SEC to man up and agree to a home and home with a team like TCU or BSU. It's a viscious cycle setup to protect the status quo.

AMy dad is a WVU grad - was there at the same time as the Logo. I grew up a Mountaineer fan and never changed my allegiance when I went to a where there were no major sports. I never cared one way or the other about the conference itself per se until the exodus when Swofford started trying stick the knife in saying that the Big East should lose it's bid. It was such sweet justice that for several years after the exodus it was the ACC whose teams were getting a bid to a BCS game that they never would have come close to qualifying for w/o the auto bid. Suddenly we didn't hear much from Swofford about eliminating unworthy conferences from the BCS while at the same time the Big East has done extrodinarily well in the BCS.

I agree Swofford is a snake.

My Dad's from a town about 30 miles S of Morgantown and, while he never went to college, his cousin (who was more like his sister than his real sisters were) taught undergrad math there for about a hundred years. I started following WVU because of that, and that's when I started following Bobby Bowden, who was such a hoot talking to the media. Plus, after the Marshall team got killed in the crash before the last game of the season, Bobby wanted to have the WVU team wear their green jerseys and play their last game for them, which I thought was a wonderful gesture, but the stupid NCAA wouldn't let him do it. (Too bad how Bobby got treated at WVU the end.) I also had some relatives in Salem, and I remember when Bobby's kid Terry (the one who coached at Auburn and then later was on TV for a while) coached at nearby Salem College...

I agree Swofford is a snake.

My Dad's from a town about 30 miles S of Morgantown and, while he never went to college, his cousin (who was more like his sister than his real sisters were) taught undergrad math there for about a hundred years. I started following WVU because of that, and that's when I started following Bobby Bowden, who was such a hoot talking to the media. Plus, after the Marshall team got killed in the crash before the last game of the season, Bobby wanted to have the WVU team wear their green jerseys and play their last game for them, which I thought was a wonderful gesture, but the stupid NCAA wouldn't let him do it. (Too bad how Bobby got treated at WVU the end.) I also had some relatives in Salem, and I remember when Bobby's kid Terry (the one who coached at Auburn and then later was on TV for a while) coached at nearby Salem College...

Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard about WVU wanting to wear green for Marshall. I guess the NCAA has been sticking it's nose in situations it shouldn't long before I started to follow the sport.

I figure the university must have made a positive impact on the Bowden family even after WVU hanged Bowden in effigy even if Bobby still has some bitterness. Younger Bowden did all he could possibly do to try and get considered for the position after RRod fled.

Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard about WVU wanting to wear green for Marshall. I guess the NCAA has been sticking it's nose in situations it shouldn't long before I started to follow the sport.

It wasn't just wearing green as a symbol... he wanted his WVU team to put on Marshall uniforms and go play Marhshall's last game of the season for them.

He wanted his WVU team to show up at game time and fill-in for the Marshall team who had been killed in the plane crash...

Archived