Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

It's all in the eye of the beholder. You have no problem trading Liz but are against trading Olson or Loewen. I happen to feel that Liz is the guy of those three, I'd least like to deal. Others may think Olson and others may think Loewen. So I don't thinks it's so simple to say one is a horrendus idea and another is a good idea. It's a pretty close call I think. The O's track record, even under Duquette, is to hold out until the price comes down. They waited on Patterson and they waited on Benson. Actually, maybe it was Minaya who held up the Benson deal and the O's had to kick in Maine to get it done. I don't think the deal gets done with any of those three pitchers mentioned but we'll see. I think I would go in this order of who I'd be most willing to give up.

1. Olson

2. Loewen

3. Liz

Olson's lack of a good changeup and his H/IP this year give me cause for doubt.

Loewen's command in general give me doubts about him

Liz's command & durability give me doubts about him but I think he has the best stuff, his command isn't awful, and there have been comments from his own manager that he's already got an effective changeup. And he dominated in his 1st 5 starts like neither Olson or Loewen ever did at Frederick. BTW, coincidentally they are all 22 yo.

I'd be suprised if the Rox want Loewen...he'd have to be on the ML roster next year...an accelerated rookie with control issues learning in Coors...that's a disaster waiting to happen...

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Completely agreed on this.

But, I'm not so sure about Loewen. Obviously, he's got tons of talent, but I still worry about the contract clause. Sometimes I wouldn't mind making that someone else's problem.

We're thinking along the same lines...but not for a guy like Shealy.

I'm hoping we can try to get the DRays to accept Loewen as the centerpiece of a Crawford deal.

Probably right. And probably why SG is wrong about Loewen being able to bring back more in a trade. That option is a minus.

We already know that we could have had Jon Garland, coming off of a great year last year, for Loewen.

We can certainly get more than 26 y/o prospect with questionable defense and questionable offensive numbers.

Plus, Loewen is a top 40 prospect...That does play a part in this.

We're thinking along the same lines...but not for a guy like Shealy.

I'm hoping we can try to get the DRays to accept Loewen as the centerpiece of a Crawford deal.

I just don't think Crawford's coming here via trade...no way TB trades him within the division. But I see your point.

*First Post*

Well, I've been reading through this thread. I'm gonna have to agree that Shealy would be a great addition for our team. And think of this:

If we don't sign him, who's gonna play 1B for our team when Conine and Millar are gone?

Also, I'm gonna agree that we should deal from our strengths, which is pitching. If we have to deal Olsen for him, then I say we do it. Pair Javy with it and try to get a solid positional player. That positional player should be a catcher or be capable of player catcher...unless we can trade a pitcher like Chen or Lopez for a backup catcher and maybe a relief guy.

*First Post*

Well, I've been reading through this thread. I'm gonna have to agree that Shealy would be a great addition for our team. And think of this:

If we don't sign him, who's gonna play 1B for our team when Conine and Millar are gone?

Gibbons could play first if he was left alone there until Tex was available on the free agent market. Shealy would be a great addition, however and might give the team a boost like Chris Richard did in 2000. I would trade Loewen before I'd trade Olsen though if the Rockies would bite on that. Loewen wasn't even really dominant in the minors as Olsen was and is, it's just his potential that everybody is so high on so I'd look to trade him now while he still has some.

I would trade Loewen before I'd trade Olsen though if the Rockies would bite on that. Loewen wasn't even really dominant in the minors as Olsen was and is, it's just his potential that everybody is so high on so I'd look to trade him now while he still has some.

I would agree to trade Loewen...if the price was right. For Shealy though, I wouldn't trade Loewen away. If I were to trade him, I'd trade him for a proven player.

I would agree to trade Loewen...if the price was right. For Shealy though, I wouldn't trade Loewen away. If I were to trade him, I'd trade him for a proven player.

Or atleast for a player who is a legit prospect. Shealy would be a very nice addition, but he his age is a major setback in his value.

Or atleast for a player who is a legit prospect. Shealy would be a very nice addition, but he his age is a major setback in his value.

Yeah, his age is a bit of a setback. I'm sure if he didn't have Helton blocking him at 1B he would've been there a years or so ago. But if we get him and trade off Conine and/or Millar he won't have anyone blocking him.

If we get him, how would it change our lineup around? Would it be something like this [considering Jeff Conine and Javy Lopez is traded]:

2B Brian Roberts

3B Melvin Mora

SS Miguel Tejada

RF Jay Gibbons

C Ramon Hernandez

1B Ryan Shealy

CF Corey Patterson

DH Kevin Millar

LF Nick Markakis

Yeah, his age is a bit of a setback. I'm sure if he didn't have Helton blocking him at 1B he would've been there a years or so ago. But if we get him and trade off Conine and/or Millar he won't have anyone blocking him.

If we get him, how would it change our lineup around? Would it be something like this [considering Jeff Conine and Javy Lopez is traded]:

2B Brian Roberts

3B Melvin Mora

SS Miguel Tejada

RF Jay Gibbons

C Ramon Hernandez

1B Ryan Shealy

CF Corey Patterson

DH Kevin Millar

LF Nick Markakis

Probably close to it...

Altho, IMO, Nick Markakis should be our starting RF until at least 2008.

Archived