Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering the same thing...In his limited time last year, he had 100 rate by BP but that is not enbough time to gauge him either way.

Doesn't matter...Get Kotchman for first and Shealy for DH.:D

Sounds good to me.

Do you guys think the fact that he's been blocked by Helton plays into the perception of a "late developer"? Without Helton, it seems like he would have been called up at some point before now.

I looked at his MLB stats...he played in 36 games last year.

91 AB, 30 H, 7 2B, 2 HR, 16 RBI, 13 W, 22 K, .886 OPS.

I know it's a small sample group, but at a minimum he's intriguing. If the O's pulled the trigger for him and it was a one-for-one swap, I would see it as an attempt to improve the team now at the 1B position and for the future whether it proves to be right or wrong. At this point I'd take Shealy over Conine and/or Millar.

Do you guys think the fact that he's been blocked by Helton plays into the perception of a "late developer"? Without Helton, it seems like he would have been called up at some point before now.

I certainly do.

2006 is his second or third year in the bigs if not for Helton.

Here is a take on him from BP:

"A born DH, Shealy's hit at every stop along the way, often to the extent where you say "How come they're leaving this dude in the Cal League? Do they want to destroy the confidence of opposing pitchers, or do they just want to dent the fences of some field in the Inland Empire?" Shealy's something of an ox-boy, but he plays the role well, swinging at pitches in the strike zone with seriously bad intentions. He draws his walks, gets his hits, and yes, strikes out a lot. Definitely has the masher look; when he hits the ball hard, he looks like a right-handed Travis Hafner, creating the image of a pitch just getting creamed."

I'd love to try him at first but if his D is no good he can always DH.

I certainly do.

2006 is his second or third year in the bigs if not for Helton.

How do you feel about this trade if anything of this matter were to go through?

I think its another good idea by the FO.

The Rockies are in the NL, they can't use a guy like Shealy if he isn't great on D because of no DH rule, plus they have a AS calibur 1B.

Think poor man's Ryan Howard.

That is my impression of the kid.

The Rockies are in the NL, they can't use a guy like Shealy if he isn't great on D because of no DH rule, plus they have a AS calibur 1B.

Have you seen him play?

Because if this guy is anything like Howard, I'll pay for the flight to Baltimore myself.

IMO, Howard will be THE premier slugger in the NL for the forseeable future...well, if that Pujols fella wasn't around.

Have you seen him play?

Because if this guy is anything like Howard, I'll pay for the flight to Baltimore myself.

IMO, Howard will be THE premier slugger in the NL for the forseeable future...well, if that Pujols fella wasn't around.

I think AO brings up a decent comparison, one that i had thought of before but never really looked at the stats.

Howard is a big guy with lots of power and didn't get to the majors until his mid 20's.

My guess is that is where AO came up with Shealy being a poor mans Howard.

Makes some sense. Probably not as good as Howard but still, very productive with lots of power.

I think AO brings up a decent comparison, one that i had thought of before but never really looked at the stats.

Howard is a big guy with lots of power and didn't get to the majors until his mid 20's.

My guess is that is where AO came up with Shealy being a poor mans Howard.

Makes some sense. Probably not as good as Howard but still, very productive with lots of power.

I'm sold.

I hereby authorize this trade.

Make it happen Flanny.

I'm bullish on Shealy, for sure. You gotta like the Hafner comp, too.

I think the folks that think he can be gotten for Javy/Hawkins type of veteran rentals will be disappointed, though. Purely my speculation, but I would expect the Rox would want one or two of the O's top ten (or so) prospects.

I think the folks that think he can be gotten for Javy/Hawkins type of veteran rentals will be disappointed, though. Purely my speculation, but I would expect the Rox would want one or two of the O's top ten (or so) prospects.

Maybe...But the guy seems to be limited to just AL teams and if the Rockies are trying to win now, which maybe they are, this makes sense.

Perhaps.

But the Rockies don't really have much wiggle room here. He's probably their most expendable asset and if they want to make a run in the West, I think they'll be doing themselves/players/fans a great disservice by holding onto a 26 yr old 1B with nowhere to play for the next couple seasons.

They don't have much leverage to command a couple top ten prospects for a blocked prospect.

Javy and Jason Johnson should probably be able to get it done.

Archived