MacPhail: Miggy won't play any SS

Frobby

Name another team that uses its starting thirdbaseman as a shortstop in anything other than an emergency situation. If 30 of 30 starting 3Bman don't play SS on a regular basis, then every team in baseball is wrong and guilty of poor roster management.

This is horrendous reasoning.

First of all, name me a team that is converting a SS to third base.

Then, name me a team that has a SS who can't hit who has another SS on the team that can...Then, on top of all of that, name me a team that has both of those things and a stud third base prospect.

You see, we can keep going with this but the end result will be that your reasoning here is so poor.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is horrendous reasoning.

First of all, name me a team that is converting a SS to third base.

Then, name me a team that has a SS who can't hit who has another SS on the team that can...Then, on top of all of that, name me a team that has both of those things and a stud third base prospect.

You see, we can keep going with this but the end result will be that your reasoning here is so poor.

Agree completely. While there are legit reasons to not want Tejada playing SS, the "nobody else does it" argument is about the worst argument anyone could be making.

Might as well say Tejada shouldn't play SS because he can't wear #10 anymore.

Name another team who's starting 3B actually can play a decent SS.

Its not exactly a conventional solution, but dismissing something as a bad idea primarily because it is non-conventional is obviously incredibly meek logic.

There are some legitimate reasons why Tejada shouldn't be the primary SS backup, and those can be discussed, but "nobody else does it" absolutely is not a legitimate reason to avoid using Tejada as the backup SS.

Off the top of my head - Peralta, Cleveland

I am sure there have been many more but that is the one that comes to mind.

Andino got 198 at bats last year. There is not reason to think that he will not get about 200 this year. And there is no reason to believe he will do better then his career 556 OPS.

Whether Andino gets 200 AB depends on whether Izturis goes on the DL for 5-6 weeks as he did last year. 99 of Andino's 198 AB came while Izturis was on the DL. So, if Izzy stays healthy Andino's probably getting more like 120 AB. I think he may do a little better than his .556 career OPS, but low .600's is about the most one could reasonably hope for.

What do you think Trembley would do in the following somewhat rare situation? Something like this will probably come up a few times. Suppose they've already pinch hit for Izturis and Andino is now the shortstop. They go into extra innings and Andino comes to bat, either leading off or with someone on base and not a bunting situation. Do they:

1) Let him hit so he can stay at SS;

2) Pinch hit for him, then send Wigginton to SS;

3) Pinch hit for him, then send Wigginton to 3rd, Tejada to SS.

4) Other?

If Wigginton is not available (presumably he pinch hit for Izturis, and then Andino came in), then Trembley might have to decide whether to pinch hit for Andino (Pie?), then send Scott to 1st, Atkins to 3rd, and Tejada to SS.

-Larrytt

Whether Andino gets 200 AB depends on whether Izturis goes on the DL for 5-6 weeks as he did last year. 99 of Andino's 198 AB came while Izturis was on the DL. So, if Izzy stays healthy Andino's probably getting more like 120 AB. I think he may do a little better than his .556 career OPS, but low .600's is about the most one could reasonably hope for.
Izturis won't play much more than he did last year most likely. Last year's amount of games played was in line, if not higher, than most of his past 4 seasons. He's not the most durable guy, he's gonna miss some time.

I'm not sure if Tejada is the guy we want filling in everyday for 3-4 weeks if Izturis is missing a large chunk time on the DL, but I do know he's the guy I want filling in once every other week to give him rest and every third or so game for 1-2 innings after we PH for Izturis.

And Peralta started 38 games at SS last year filling in for Asdrubal Cabrera. 102 starts at 3B.

And this is likely what we'd need from Miggy. If Izturis gets injured, we'll promote a guy like Davis to play SS on a regular basis.

I love the idea of having Tejada as the "5 times per month" shortstop. It doesn't sound like AM has that idea, though, so this is a moot point.

And this is likely what we'd need from Miggy. If Izturis gets injured, we'll promote a guy like Davis to play SS on a regular basis.

I love the idea of having Tejada as the "5 times per month" shortstop. It doesn't sound like AM has that idea, though, so this is a moot point.

Yeah, I don't even think I'd give him that many starts. 3-4 starts a month at SS while Izturis is healthy for rest, and then fill in for an inning or two 2-3 times a week after Izturis is PH for.

If Izturis is gonna miss a couple weeks with an injury, you dip down to AAA to find a replacement with a decent glove.

Izturis won't play much more than he did last year most likely. Last year's amount of games played was in line, if not higher, than most of his past 4 seasons. He's not the most durable guy, he's gonna miss some time.

I'm not sure if Tejada is the guy we want filling in everyday for 3-4 weeks if Izturis is missing a large chunk time on the DL, but I do know he's the guy I want filling in once every other week to give him rest and every third or so game for 1-2 innings after we PH for Izturis.

Interesting, I might have said the exact opposite. I might not want Tejada toggling back and forth, but if we needed to replace Izzy at SS for an extended time, I might prefer Tejada there, nothwthstanding that he's not be rangiest SS around at this point.

I realize Izturis has missed quite a few games in his career, but it's been for different reasons at different times. Getting appendicitis last season has nothing to do with being injury prone.

Interesting, I might have said the exact opposite. I might not want Tejada toggling back and forth, but if we needed to replace Izzy at SS for an extended time, I might prefer Tejada there, nothwthstanding that he's not be rangiest SS around at this point.

I realize Izturis has missed quite a few games in his career, but it's been for different reasons at different times. Getting appendicitis last season has nothing to do with being injury prone.

Interesting take on whether Tejada is better suited for spot duty versus a longer stint. I don't think he's got the glove to be a guy I want there every inning for weeks at a time anymore.

As far as Izturis, avoiding injuries and illnesses and staying healthy is a skill. He's not that great at it. I don't think he's weak or not tough or anything like that, some guys just get hurt or break down more often, and he happens to be one of them. He might make it the whole season without missing time, but I wouldn't be planning on it if it is my job to build this team.

Interesting take on whether Tejada is better suited for spot duty versus a longer stint. I don't think he's got the glove to be a guy I want there every inning for weeks at a time anymore.

As far as Izturis, avoiding injuries and illnesses and staying healthy is a skill. He's not that great at it. I don't think he's weak or not tough or anything like that, some guys just get hurt or break down more often, and he happens to be one of them. He might make it the whole season without missing time, but I wouldn't be planning on it if it is my job to build this team.

I'm not suggesting Izturis deserves any awards for durability, but I'm not sure that avoiding appendicitis is a skill. I am definitely not planning on Izzy making through an entire season without missing time, but then, I'm not sure that you should ever plan on any player making it through the season without missing time. Every player is just a random event away from an injury that will force them out of the lineup. Some guys are better at playing through nagging minor injuries or avoiding situations that are likely to lead to a major injury, but in the end, they are all vulnerable to a random event like the one that ended Tejada's streak.

I'm not suggesting Izturis deserves any awards for durability, but I'm not sure that avoiding appendicitis is a skill. I am definitely not planning on Izzy making through an entire season without missing time, but then, I'm not sure that you should ever plan on any player making it through the season without missing time. Every player is just a random event away from an injury that will force them out of the lineup. Some guys are better at playing through nagging minor injuries or avoiding situations that are likely to lead to a major injury, but in the end, they are all vulnerable to a random event like the one that ended Tejada's streak.
Let me put it this way, I'd be more concerned about finding a capable backup for Izturis than I would be about finding one for Markakis or Tejada.

You've only got so many resources, I think I'd focus them more on making sure I've got good contingency plans if someone like Izturis goes down than if someone more durable like Tejada goes down.

Archived