MacPhail: Miggy won't play any SS

Frobby

I get the idea of not wanting Miggy to have to adjust to third and then leave to go play SS...there is merit to that idea...Ultimately though, it is wrong and just another example of poor roster management by this team.
I agre, ideally you'd like Miggy to just focus on 3B, but you don't essentially eliminate a roster spot to meet that ideal.

If Turner was a decent defensive SS then he'd be the guy I go to if we need to replace Izturis, but since he isn't, I take the hit of maybe slowing Tejada's development at 3B and use him at SS when needed rather than keep an extra roster spot for an all-field, no-hit backup SS like Andino.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agre, ideally you'd like Miggy to just focus on 3B, but you don't essentially eliminate a roster spot to meet that ideal.

If Turner was a decent defensive SS then he'd be the guy I go to if we need to replace Izturis, but since he isn't, I take the hit of maybe slowing Tejada's development at 3B and use him at SS when needed rather than keep an extra roster spot for an all-field, no-hit backup SS like Andino.

Its not like they signed Miggy to play third for the next 3 years and they need this year for him to really develop over there so that he is ready in 2011 and beyond.

The bottom line is he is a stop gap answer who may be more valuable at SS than third by July, if Bell is tearing up AAA.

I am surprised that AM would say he isn't playing SS this year..I know things can change but to totally dismiss is irresponsible on his part IMO.

Wigginton is actually a solid defensive 2B man. Scott Moore would be the non-Wigginton option.

Keep in mind also for you Turner fans, he's going to be riding the pine a ton as the 25th man, and it might be better to see him get regular playing time in Norfolk, just in case Roberts goes down for a period of time and they need him.

Somebody like Moore, who likely doesn't have the potential future of a ML regular, would be more suited to a bench role because that's the role he'll have anyway.

Really. Wigginton at 2B and Moore at SS. That'll work

... on planet Xephron in the Globula Galaxy of the 4th Dimentia.

I think you have to weigh the difference between the impact of Tejada's every day defense against the difference between Turners'/Aubreys'/Montimnez' etc., PH bat, and Andino's bat at SS. Miggy plays 3B every day and poor D could be more detrimental than the few times you have to put up with Andino's bat.

If the O's are saying that even in a pinch or injury situation that he wouldn't play short, I'd say that's a mistake. But beyond that, I really can't see Tejada playing much short, if any at all, in 2010. All of the other notable guys to make the transition to third didn't go back, even as on a really small sample size situation, to playing their old position(s). Ripken played a total of 5 innings at short in 1997, and then never played there again. Alex Rodriguez has played a total of 8 innings at short since making the transition in 2004. Mora played a total of 5 innings between short and second after making the switch to third in 2004.

I can completely agree with the rational that, and would argue, that Tejada shouldn't play, and won't play much, if any at short next season. If this is permanent, then he definitely shouldn't. As history has shown us, it's going to take a lot of time to get that transition down. But I will say that if he's not, I would feel much better if they got somebody, anybody rather, who can hit a lick over Robert Andino.

So many people on this board make the argument that a closer is worthless on a team thats not contending.

Well isnt the 4/5th guy on the bench also worthless on a team thats not contending?

The bullpen should be fine this year with multiple guys (Uehara, Berken, Hernandez, Albers, and possibly Hendrickson) all being former starters that can go multiple innings.

I just got real sick of watching Andino flailing away at sliders in the dirt last year with his hat cocked sideways.

THIS! :clap3:

I understand there is individuality and different cultures and all, but wear the damn uniform the way it is intended to be worn. Wear your hat straight anfd be respectful of the game!

I think the decision to not use Miggy to backup SS reduces the probability that the O's will score 800 runs. Between Izturis and Andino at SS it probably projects to at least 550 at bats at a 600 OPS. That is considering that they are pinch hit for at least 35 times during the season.

I think the decision to not use Miggy to backup SS reduces the probability that the O's will score 800 runs. Between Izturis and Andino at SS it probably projects to at least 550 at bats at a 600 OPS. That is considering that they are pinch hit for at least 35 times during the season.

If this is the plan, then I better read about Izzy and Andino practicing their bunting skills in spring training. If they cannot contribute with hits, then they need to be treated like pitchers and learn to bunt, move runners over, hit behind runners, etc. Make useful outs rather than just sucking!

This is just such a non-issue. How often did Andino even play last season, other than when Izzy was hurt, where he actually played well enough that there were a few "Is Andino our SS of the Future" threads.

I am glad this is our major issue going into ST as this is a great example of how far this team has come in such a short period of time!

The other thing is Tejada's defense at shortstop. It was pretty brutal at the end of his time here and I do not think it's gotten any better since he's been with Houston. The Orioles have a defensive-minded shortstop in Izzy and I don't think they like the thought of having Tejada over there for anything other than an emergency. Add in the fact that he's learning a new position and it makes sense not to move him around.

I'd prefer Turner to go to AAA and play three times a week at shortstop and one at third base so we can see if he's a viable backup next year or if Wigginton goes down for any length of time.

Moore can't play SS effectively and is only Wigginton level at second base, and with Bell entrenched at Third base, he's going to have to learn to play some outfield this year. That could add some value to him as well.

I think we need to use AAA this year to see how verstaile some of our future 25th man candidates are and that leaves Andino as the backup SS unless they acquire someone better. Andino couldn't hit himself out of wet paper bag but he did play a nice shortstop. Blake Davis if healthy could possibly give him a run as well.

The other thing is Tejada's defense at shortstop. It was pretty brutal at the end of his time here and I do not think it's gotten any better since he's been with Houston. The Orioles have a defensive-minded shortstop in Izzy and I don't think they like the thought of having Tejada over there for anything other than an emergency. Add in the fact that he's learning a new position and it makes sense not to move him around.

I'd prefer Turner to go to AAA and play three times a week at shortstop and one at third base so we can see if he's a viable backup next year or if Wigginton goes down for any length of time.

Moore can't play SS effectively and is only Wigginton level at second base, and with Bell entrenched at Third base, he's going to have to learn to play some outfield this year. That could add some value to him as well.

I think we need to use AAA this year to see how verstaile some of our future 25th man candidates are and that leaves Andino as the backup SS unless they acquire someone better. Andino couldn't hit himself out of wet paper bag but he did play a nice shortstop. Blake Davis if healthy could possibly give him a run as well.

UGH. THIS is why I was a proponant of signing Jerry Hairston for the utility role.

I get the idea of not wanting Miggy to have to adjust to third and then leave to go play SS...there is merit to that idea...Ultimately though, it is wrong and just another example of poor roster management by this team.

Name another team that uses its starting thirdbaseman as a shortstop in anything other than an emergency situation. If 30 of 30 starting 3Bman don't play SS on a regular basis, then every team in baseball is wrong and guilty of poor roster management.

This is just such a non-issue. How often did Andino even play last season, other than when Izzy was hurt, where he actually played well enough that there were a few "Is Andino our SS of the Future" threads.

I am glad this is our major issue going into ST as this is a great example of how far this team has come in such a short period of time!

Andino got 198 at bats last year. There is not reason to think that he will not get about 200 this year. And there is no reason to believe he will do better then his career 556 OPS.

I am not saying the MacPhail is wrong in keeping Miggy at 3B. I just think that between Izturis and Andino the O's have a drag on the offense in the SS spot. Miggy might have helped that.

Name another team that uses its starting thirdbaseman as a shortstop in anything other than an emergency situation. If 30 of 30 starting 3Bman don't play SS on a regular basis, then every team in baseball is wrong and guilty of poor roster management.
Name another team who's starting 3B actually can play a decent SS.

Its not exactly a conventional solution, but dismissing something as a bad idea primarily because it is non-conventional is obviously incredibly meek logic.

There are some legitimate reasons why Tejada shouldn't be the primary SS backup, and those can be discussed, but "nobody else does it" absolutely is not a legitimate reason to avoid using Tejada as the backup SS.

Archived