SI ranks MacPhail the 12th best GM in MLB (but 4th in AL East)

Frobby

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what is "it?" Myself and others aren't bashing Cashman, we're just saying it's hard to evaluate him compared to other GM's.

You can take him as our GM if you like, but you have very little idea of what you'll be getting considering we have no clue on how he'd operate with our budget.

A bad GM would have run the Yankees into the ground...he hasn't done that. He has built the farm system and used his preverbial "power" within the industry to get what he needs/wants.

I'm not saying being the GM of the Yankees is the hardest thing in the world...hell, most of what brings the FA's to NY is the city, and the organization's history alone, he doesn't have to do much more than that.

But like Drungo said...compare the Mets and Yankees and see the difference, even though both organizations are pretty much on the same playing field...if anything the Mets have it easier.

Cashman could have easily forced Phil Hughes back into the rotation this year, even though he shined last year out of the pen....he could of listened to the media, and the fans and played around with Joba more. Instead he went out and got a proven starter as his #4 for a easily replaceable player, who has become a fan favorite. He also showed a lot this offseason by letting Matsui and Damon walk...and not take the 'bait' of keeping them as Yankees.

He does have an interesting conundrum on his hands though with Jeter...he's got probably the single most popular player in America on his team, who is ending a 10 year contract...but is getting older, and has no position to "switch" to.

A bad GM would have run the Yankees into the ground...he hasn't done that. He has built the farm system and used his preverbial "power" within the industry to get what he needs/wants.

I'm not saying being the GM of the Yankees is the hardest thing in the world...hell, most of what brings the FA's to NY is the city, and the organization's history alone, he doesn't have to do much more than that.

But like Drungo said...compare the Mets and Yankees and see the difference, even though both organizations are pretty much on the same playing field...if anything the Mets have it easier.

Cashman could have easily forced Phil Hughes back into the rotation this year, even though he shined last year out of the pen....he could of listened to the media, and the fans and played around with Joba more. Instead he went out and got a proven starter as his #4 for a easily replaceable player, who has become a fan favorite. He also showed a lot this offseason by letting Matsui and Damon walk...and not take the 'bait' of keeping them as Yankees.

He does have an interesting conundrum on his hands though with Jeter...he's got probably the single most popular player in America on his team, who is ending a 10 year contract...but is getting older, and has no position to "switch" to.

First off, I and most if not all others are not calling him a bad GM.

It's not hard to build up the farm system when you have a big draft and international budget.

How are the Yanks and Mets on the same playing field? I think it's funny that some are dismissing a 70 or so million dollar difference in payroll. Then consider what Cashman inherited talent wise vs what Minaya or Duquette did with the Mets. Not close. So how does the Mets GM's of recent years have it easier?

Considering what Damon and Matsui got paid, I think it can be argued that they should have kept one of them. So I'm not sure why he should be praised for letting them both go.

Again, he's done some good things, but I don't see how we can really judge him compared to other GM's who are operating ing under vastly smaller budgets.

Archived