Mike Gonzalez

SammyBirdland

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzalez started slowly in Atlanta last year and lost the closer's job and then was lights out. I could do without the heart attack in the ninth, but I expect him to perform well.

Maybe temporairly swap him and Johnson until Gonzo starts to hit his stride.

Indeed.

I'd just like to point out that this guy has 281 innings going into tonight with a 2.63 ERA and a 10.6 K/9 ratio. Does have a 4.16 BB/9 ratio though. The point is he's had a very good career and like you say, shouldn't be totally judged based on two innings.

But yes, it would have been nice if he looked better.

Yep...and I wonder why...I am very unimpressed with this guy.

Gonzalez started slowly in Atlanta last year and lost the closer's job and then was lights out. I could do without the heart attack in the ninth, but I expect him to perform well.

Maybe, like JJ, he just doesn't have it in him to be a closer but excels otherwise.

The command is a concern, but the deception mixed with two quality above-average offerings is what I'd look for in a closer. I don't think he was the right decision for the organization at the time, but he's a good ML pitcher and will be fine, assuming health.

My pitchfork is just about sharpened...I just need some time to fill in the "Atkins" I had etched into the handle.

His mechanics always made me nervous, but they nailed it on the head tonight on his lack of deception with every pitch delivery changing. Not to mention he wears his emotions on his face as much as Miggy does. That's fine for a hitter, but a batter should not be seeing your surprise or almost outright fear.

Glad it still got pulled through for Brian though.

Gonzalez looks like a deer in headlights. I am watching his awful mechanics where he falls way the hell off the side of hill. How can you consistently throw strikes like that? His facial expressions look like he would rather be anywhere but out on that mound in those pressure spots. He has been wilder than any closer I have seen besides Jorge Julio. He definitely is pressing and trying too hard to impress.

Now, some will point to his numbers and say they are pretty decent. Well, he wasn't a closer on a full time basis except for a season or two when he was in Pittsburgh! They don't play the AL East caliber of hitters. Pressure is obsolete playing for the Pirates.

I hope he turns it around. We are in deep crap if this is how he is going to pitch more often than not. We gave him $12mil plus gave up an early 2nd round pick for this? Wow.

You guys probably think so of us are overreacting....I certainly hope you are right on this one.

I watched him intently, his breaking ball is very average, not a lot of bite and hittable. Fastball has decent velocity but doesn't appear to have good movement. Although most of it is probably due to being up with everything. Even the ones down don't look like they move that much.

I think McPhail might have made a big mistake with this signing. I hope he proves me wrong.

Yep...and I wonder why...I am very unimpressed with this guy.

Probably because he hasn't pitched well as of yet. He's obviously been a better pitcher throughout his career than he's shown so far with us.

The command is a concern, but the deception mixed with two quality above-average offerings is what I'd look for in a closer. I don't think he was the right decision for the organization at the time, but he's a good ML pitcher and will be fine, assuming health.

Thanks...some reason in this thread.

Who cares about the rocking motion?? Jeebus!

Archived