Mike Gonzalez

SammyBirdland

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are both lefties and yes they are both closers, but Gonzalez seems like he's in control, then loses control, THEN gets out of the inning? (well 1 out of 2 but its early) I don't know if I can take another season of this Sherrill-like closing.

And I think I'd rather have Sherrill if this were going to happen again...

I can't take any more of this guy. And I thought Sherrill was nerve wracking.

If he continues to struggle like this then he will cost us games. He greatly contributed to our first loss and looked mediocre tonight. The Orioles should have taken two of the three games.

While Sherrill always made it interesting, once we got used to him we had confidence he'd work his way through it, which he did most of the time. I just don't think Gonzalez has proven to us at this point whether he's the type of guy who can work out of jams regularly.

Brings back the memory of that Cubs game where Breezy had the bases juiced with no outs and struck out the side. No question ice was running through his veins that night.

As we all know, 2 innings prove everything there is to know about a pitcher. :rolleyes:

While I am sure he will have better nights on the mound, his rocking motion while taking signs and his crazy mechanics are always going to make me feel nervous, I'm afraid. It's gonna be a roller coaster with him.

As we all know, 2 innings prove everything there is to know about a pitcher. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

I'd just like to point out that this guy has 281 innings going into tonight with a 2.63 ERA and a 10.6 K/9 ratio. Does have a 4.16 BB/9 ratio though. The point is he's had a very good career and like you say, shouldn't be totally judged based on two innings.

But yes, it would have been nice if he looked better.

I remember that game so vividly. I lost all my fingernails that night. Sherill just looked more confident on the mound in the tough situations. Gonzalez licks his hand, takes off his hat and rubs his forehead, and he has that crazy, wobbly windup before every pitch. Sherrill didn't even blink when he was in trouble.

I remember that game so vividly. I lost all my fingernails that night. Sherill just looked more confident on the mound in the tough situations. Gonzalez licks his hand, takes off his hat and rubs his forehead, and he has that crazy, wobbly windup before every pitch. Sherrill didn't even blink when he was in trouble.

Breezy is the best. He bites the heads off rock lobsters.

Archived