The next Carlos Pena?

Sports Guy

The next Carlos Pena?

SG says:

".......the Orioles should be looking for a bat that perhaps is still young but hasn't reached potential."

"could be the perfect "change of scenary" guy that we can take advantage of...like Pie."

"can play first or third...Right now, Miggy is doing well at third and we have Bell as well...So, for the time being, we can put him at first and see what happens with Miggy and Bell..."

Ah.....doesn't Garrett Atkins sort of fit this description? Yet, almost everyone hated signing him.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The next Carlos Pena?

SG says:

".......the Orioles should be looking for a bat that perhaps is still young but hasn't reached potential."

"could be the perfect "change of scenary" guy that we can take advantage of...like Pie."

"can play first or third...Right now, Miggy is doing well at third and we have Bell as well...So, for the time being, we can put him at first and see what happens with Miggy and Bell..."

Ah.....doesn't Garrett Atkins sort of fit this description? Yet, almost everyone hated signing him.

Not at all.

Alex Gordon was a collegiate monster here at Nebraska. When the Royals drafted him the talk all over the midwest was the second coming of George Brett. Most believed it, including me. But injuries have killed the kid, and this year the Royals have strong options at 1st and 3rd. Billy Butler is at first, and the arrival of Chris Getz for second base has made Albert Callaspo available to play third. Look at the offensive numbers of Callaspo from last year, and you can start to see why the Royals have excersised zero patience with Gordon coming out of the chute this year. 40 AB's???? You gotta be kidding me. I would love the O's to get a buy low on Gordon, still gotta believe that he will hit and hit with power at the ML level.

I agree with SG here, this is a time and place where the Orioles could take a shot with a pitcher since we seem to have an abundance with Tillman and Arrieta knocking at the door. I would trade DH for Gordon, but would prefer to keep him for the pen and trade Bergy for him. Unlike SG, I really want Gordon for 3 base down the road because I am not that high on Bell. Gordon could go to first for now, then play third when Miggi moves on.

The next Carlos Pena?

SG says:

I'm not trying to call this or anything, but does everyone remember how much we hated Pie last year? I think Atkins just needs some time out of the lineup to work on his swing and then give him a chance again later this year. Maybe he can have a resurgence after he works on his swing, which would be pretty awesome.

Alex Gordon -IF KC would deal him- would be a risky acquisition, but one I'd make ten times out of ten for a guy like David Hernandez. FWIW I think KC says no to that offer... at this time.

Your probably right about the Royals declining Greg, but the cost for Gordon has clearly gone down. At this point I would think that if the Royals felt they were getting back a player that would be a significant upgrade to this years team, they would do it. Would DH represent a significant upgrade?? I am really not sure myself.

Would you trade Josh Bell for him even up? I would and I would trade DH for him even up and I like how DH has improved over last season. Could Bell be had in the right deal?

If KC is tiring of Gordon they might have interest in Bell. One prospect for another.

How do you think the experts rate Alex Gordon and Josh Bell in 2010.

There is some drastic underrating of Gordon here. I wonder if it is a case of people looking at the numbers without knowing the context. He had one minor league season (2006) after being drafted. He played his first pro game at AA and played the entire season there. He should have started 2007 at AAA; instead he was basically awarded the starting 3B job in KC before the start of ST.

He made nice progress in 2008 and a lot of people (me included) thought that he was in line for a breakout season in 2009. Instead, he had the hip injury that kept him out until mid-July--when the Royals probably rushed his rehab--and then a thigh injury that slowed him through the end of the season.

This guy can hit. He can also play a pretty solid 3B (to my eye). He has been mishandled by a bad organization, and he's been slowed by injury, and he has been unlucky. His rep has suffered somewhat from a failure to live up to expectations that have been just too high (no, he isn't going to have a George Brett career).

But I expect him to be a good MLB starting player... maybe very good. And although I have been a big David Hernandez fan, I would definitely trade DH for Gordon.

I doubt whether the Royals do that trade at this time, though.

Would you trade Josh Bell for him even up? I would and I would trade DH for him even up and I like how DH has improved over last season. Could Bell be had in the right deal?

If KC is tiring of Gordon they might have interest in Bell. One prospect for another.

How do you think the experts rate Alex Gordon and Josh Bell in 2010.

The O's would never do that. Josh Bell is still a promising prospect who has yet to even have a MLB at-bat. Gordon has been mostly a failure in the majors albeit in limited exposure.

Alex Gordon -IF KC would deal him- would be a risky acquisition, but one I'd make ten times out of ten for a guy like David Hernandez. FWIW I think KC says no to that offer... at this time.

You may be right...but I would also add to that deal as well.

Chris Davis might fit this description moreso than Gordon.

In the short time he's been sent down to the minors, he's got 2 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR and 10 RBI in 6 games...

I think the guy just needs a change of scenery.

With Smoak in Texas and Vlad in the DH role, I don't see him coming back up...

Doesn't want to DH, wants to play 1B, which is a challenge for him.
The Nats haven't extended him for a reason. He's not really going to have a serious choice when it comes to DHing imo.

As far as the original question is concerned (someone under the radar, not premium free agent, etc) what about Jorge Cantu? He certainly is not a premium name and is currently slugging .585 with 6 homeruns. He may be having his 'Pena' season a season early.

I don't think Alex Gordon is the next Pena. People keep talking about his upside, but he's a 26 year old with poor BA/OBP/SLG. Hitting coaches say that it takes about 1500 AB's to see what you have in a hitter at the MLB level. If there is any truth to that theory, Alex, who has had 1400 AB's to the tune of .249/.331/.413, just doesn't seem like he's still the rising star that was once thought to be.

I wouldn't trade Hernandez for him, but I wouldn't be opposed to a lesser arm. I think he's highly overrated on this site, due mostly to the fact that several years ago he was a highly rated prospect, and it never really translated to the big league level, which happens often.

Archived