Ok, I was wondering about that! Cowart's got a lot of tools and a lot of potential but I was curious how he had jumped so high on your list. Also, I know BA is down on Whitson, and there might be some cause for concern, but as of right now I consider him the second best prep arm on the board. Your list makes more sense now that you've clarified/corrected.

I was in a hurry and using Excel. I was dragging and dropping players from my Top 100 list from Draft America and, heck, I don't know. Whatever, I'm still very high on Whitson, despite the concerns. We will hear more as we near the draft, and those concerns may have us all going, "Now I get it."

I am a big advocate of pitchers who have multiple high-quality offerings and already show good command of them all. Whitson -for me- could be similar (albeit right-handed) to Brian Matusz, though Whitson may have a bit quicker fastball by the time he reaches the majors.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Any chance Holliday gets the start today? I would assume no…but he did have a good last game and came in for Gunnar and drew another walk.  Urias is 7-29 since coming back and one of those hits was a gift double yesterday.  To be clear, I’m not saying they should start Holliday, just wondering if they would consider it.
    • They are a better match up on paper than Ragans, but I don't think that's really the issue here. This offense has a puckered sphincter problem. They tense up at the slightest of pressure. The matchups probably don't matter at this point until someone will give them a lead and take off some of the pressure. Anytime this team gets behind they pucker up because the pressure is on. If they can get a lead early, it will take some of that pressure off and maybe, they can win the game. If they get behind though they are done.
    • He was very good.  Really hope to see him get a chance again this year.
    • He didn't carry us?  He pitched 8 innings of 1-run ball.  And newsflash - if he'd pitched 8 shutout innings, we very possibly would have still lost.  Was he supposed to also hit a home run to tie the game?  Talking about the starter not carrying us when he pitched 8 and we lost 1-0 is a wild take.
    • It’s 100% fair to wonder if players can calm themselves down and get their heart beat down.    I think Westburg can do this.
    • The key decision is (a) Mounty at 1B and O’Hearn at DH, or (b) O’Hearn at 1B and Kjerstad at DH. Weighing all of the considerations, I would go with (b). If the decision were just Mounty or O’Hearn at first base with the other on the bench, I think the clear choice would be O’Hearn.  Mounty is perhaps 15 runs better on defense over a full season than O’Hearn, though gap may have narrowed some with O’Hearn getting more reps over the last month.  To offset that, his wOBA needs to be ~30 points higher.  Since 2023, O’Hearn’s wOBA vs. RHP has been .47 better than Mounty and his xwOBA has been .41 better.     For Kjerstad, it becomes the same question - do you think his bat today will be in the neighborhood of .30 wOBA points than Mounty.  It’s a tougher question to answer given Kjerstad’s lighter track record.  However, when you factor in Lugo’s platoon splits, the Wall, and Mounty’s prospects against a pitcher with a 9-pitch arsenal, I’m inclined to go with O’Hearn/Kjerstad.   Further, I would prioritize getting momentum on offense - it’s really important to score early and there is a high likelihood that there isn’t a defensive play that Mounty would make and O’Hearn wouldn’t (I know there was one yesterday).  Additionally, Mounty off the bench provides more pinch-hitting flexibility.
    • The Os only have 32 at bats vs Lugo but they have been successful. No one than 6 PA vs him. Slater is the one with 6 at bats and he has 3 hits vs him. Mountcastle, Mullins and Westburg each have 2 hits vs him. Cowser and Westburg have a homer and Westy and Santander each have a triple.  Cowser has the only walk. The Os scored 4 runs, had 9 hits, 1 BB and only struck out once when they faced him in April. So again, like the one Ragans start, they had a lot of hits and a good approach…but can they carry that over?   Lugo had one bad start in September, vs Detroit. The rest of the month, he pitched 23 innings and gave up 3 runs. He shut down the Giants, Yankees and Cleveland. His last outing was 2 innings vs Atlanta and they didn’t store off of him.
  • Popular Contributors