Wondering about the Alabama middle infielders...

Josh Rutledge and Ross Wilson...

I've seen these guys play quite a few times and I have to say I have developed a man crush on Rutledge. How early is he likely to be drafted? Would taking him in the 3rd round be a reach?

Also, how far has Wilson's stock fallen? As an Alabama fan, I'm hoping he decides to come back for his senior year to try and bounce back but at the same time I think he would be a nice target around the 5th round or so...

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Any chance Holliday gets the start today? I would assume no…but he did have a good last game and came in for Gunnar and drew another walk.  Urias is 7-29 since coming back and one of those hits was a gift double yesterday.  To be clear, I’m not saying they should start Holliday, just wondering if they would consider it.
    • They are a better match up on paper than Ragans, but I don't think that's really the issue here. This offense has a puckered sphincter problem. They tense up at the slightest of pressure. The matchups probably don't matter at this point until someone will give them a lead and take off some of the pressure. Anytime this team gets behind they pucker up because the pressure is on. If they can get a lead early, it will take some of that pressure off and maybe, they can win the game. If they get behind though they are done.
    • He was very good.  Really hope to see him get a chance again this year.
    • He didn't carry us?  He pitched 8 innings of 1-run ball.  And newsflash - if he'd pitched 8 shutout innings, we very possibly would have still lost.  Was he supposed to also hit a home run to tie the game?  Talking about the starter not carrying us when he pitched 8 and we lost 1-0 is a wild take.
    • It’s 100% fair to wonder if players can calm themselves down and get their heart beat down.    I think Westburg can do this.
    • The key decision is (a) Mounty at 1B and O’Hearn at DH, or (b) O’Hearn at 1B and Kjerstad at DH. Weighing all of the considerations, I would go with (b). If the decision were just Mounty or O’Hearn at first base with the other on the bench, I think the clear choice would be O’Hearn.  Mounty is perhaps 15 runs better on defense over a full season than O’Hearn, though gap may have narrowed some with O’Hearn getting more reps over the last month.  To offset that, his wOBA needs to be ~30 points higher.  Since 2023, O’Hearn’s wOBA vs. RHP has been .47 better than Mounty and his xwOBA has been .41 better.     For Kjerstad, it becomes the same question - do you think his bat today will be in the neighborhood of .30 wOBA points than Mounty.  It’s a tougher question to answer given Kjerstad’s lighter track record.  However, when you factor in Lugo’s platoon splits, the Wall, and Mounty’s prospects against a pitcher with a 9-pitch arsenal, I’m inclined to go with O’Hearn/Kjerstad.   Further, I would prioritize getting momentum on offense - it’s really important to score early and there is a high likelihood that there isn’t a defensive play that Mounty would make and O’Hearn wouldn’t (I know there was one yesterday).  Additionally, Mounty off the bench provides more pinch-hitting flexibility.
    • The Os only have 32 at bats vs Lugo but they have been successful. No one than 6 PA vs him. Slater is the one with 6 at bats and he has 3 hits vs him. Mountcastle, Mullins and Westburg each have 2 hits vs him. Cowser and Westburg have a homer and Westy and Santander each have a triple.  Cowser has the only walk. The Os scored 4 runs, had 9 hits, 1 BB and only struck out once when they faced him in April. So again, like the one Ragans start, they had a lot of hits and a good approach…but can they carry that over?   Lugo had one bad start in September, vs Detroit. The rest of the month, he pitched 23 innings and gave up 3 runs. He shut down the Giants, Yankees and Cleveland. His last outing was 2 innings vs Atlanta and they didn’t store off of him.
  • Popular Contributors