Jones the last 16 games: .328/.359/.492

Frobby

Maybe there is light at the end of this particular tunnel. Adam Jones has hit in 10 straight games, and 15 of 16. Several of those were of the cheap variety, but in the Nats series hit did hit two homers (one crushed and one inside the park) and a double. Also, a manageable 9 K's in those 16 games. I don't feel like Adam is hitting on all cylinders just yet, but he's having some decent AB's now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noticed that as well. He started hitting balls hard in the Seattle series. It has started to reflect in his numbers now. His inside-the-parker was deep enough to be out at OPACY.

Now if we could just get Wieters uncorked...

Yeah but he should have had that ball last Sunday. :D

It's good to see Jones heating up. I doubt he ever gets his OBP above the .340-.350 mark consistently though.

Yeah, his OBP is going to be very dependent on his BA. Probably .340-.350 at best.

It's good to see Jones heating up. I doubt he ever gets his OBP above the .340-.350 mark consistently though.

I agree. But I can live with that as long as the slugging is up around .450.

So you could "live with" a CF who has an OPS in the .790-800 range?

Right now there are only 4 CF's in the AL at .790 or higher -- Wells, Rios, Hunter and Austin Jackson. In fact, there are 4 starting CF's with an OPS lower than Jones' -- Upton, Davis, Sizemore and Borbon. Despite all of Jones' struggles, there are 5 AL teams with a worse OPS out of CF than the Orioles. The median team OPS in CF is .697. We could very well end up the year with above average production at that position, if Jones can warm up only a little bit.

Right now there are only 4 CF's in the AL at .790 or higher -- Wells, Rios, Hunter and Austin Jackson. In fact, there are 4 starting CF's with an OPS lower than Jones' -- Upton, Davis, Sizemore and Borbon. Despite all of Jones' struggles, there are 5 AL teams with a worse OPS out of CF than the Orioles. The median team OPS in CF is .697. We could very well end up the year with above average production at that position, if Jones can warm up only a little bit.

No problem, if he could play above average defense. When Pie comes back, if Jones hasn't stepped up his game both at the plate and with the glove, I expect to see him in LF platooning with CPatt.

I am still teased by the AJ of last April and May...the one showed good patience at the plate and walked 13 times in those months as opposed to the one who's walked 5 times thus far.

I was being slightly droll, but Jones's first two months of last season aren't going to fade from memory right away, either. Until that proves to be a fluke, everything he does will be measured against it.

And rightly so: comparing him to his best sustained stretch is at least as reasonable as comparing him to a league standard. And in light of his own personal best, .790 or .800 will feel a little bit like settling.

There is definitely reason for hope here. Now he has to fix his fielding. That should be easier, right?

A .790 OPS centerfielder who is even slightly above average in the field is a piece we can build with in the future.

I really hope he keeps this up. The optimist in me says that a good part of his struggles this year have been mental, so maybe he's climbing out of his rut.

It's hard to overstate how much this team needs him to turn it around in the remainder of the season.

I am still teased by the AJ of last April and May...the one showed good patience at the plate and walked 13 times in those months as opposed to the one who's walked 5 times thus far.

You guys make way, way, WAY too big a deal out of walks. Give me a hitter versus a walker any day of the week. I am less worried about Jones and his lack of walks than I am about Markakis and his lack of home run power. That is what you should be worrying about. :rolleyes:

Until he starts walking more, there is always going to be a long slump right around the corner.

Though those numbers did surprise me. Hopefuly he can keep it going. It seems like he had alot of cheap hits though.

It also seems this hot streak coincided with him being moved down in the order.

Archived