Trembley to be fired today?

Pedro Cerrano

a) That's not even true by your absurd methods of evaluation. The 1954 guy whose name escapes me had a lower winning percentage.

b) Measuring a GM by his winning percentage through an admitted rebuilding phase where he traded numerous vets for prospects is loopy.

I'm not really trying to defend JTrea, but unfortunately the Orioles deserve a lot of the criticism that JTrea and the other pessimists are dumping on MacPhail and the rest of the organization. MacPhail is the one that said this year was step two of the rebuilding process and that wins and losses mattered more. JTrea and the other critics didn't say that, MacPhail did. MacPhail was the one who signed Atkins and Tejada. Izturis was signed by MacPhail. MacPhail's managers and coaches at all levels are developing (or not developing depending upon perspective) the O's young players. MacPhail's team drafted Hobgood et al. I think most of us would agree that the organization is much farther away from competitive baseball than we believed before the season started and that all is not right with the O's ship.

I'm not trying to dump too hard on MacPhail, but the team he constructed is sporting a .283 winning percentage in June and many of the young players in the system are performing significantly below even pessimistic preseason projections. Many general managers have been fired for similar performances, maybe even significantly better performances. MacPhail deserves a lot of criticism for not signing better free agents (I didn't say "premium"!!), for not filling obvious holes in the O's roster, for wasting money on Atkins, and perhaps for taking too many fliers on former high round draft picks who are your typical AAAA players. I think he also deserves criticism for his relative lack of improvement in the minor league system, but I know that's always debatable. JTrea and the other pessimists on the board are taking a lot of flak right now. Some of that is deserved because of the way they deliver their message and the way it is incessantly repeated. But unfortunately, the pessimists like JTtrea have been far more correct about the O's this year (and for many years recent years) than any of us would like. Just because they are incessantly pessimistic doesn't make them wrong about MacPhail: .283 winning percentage.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This thread:

Page 1 - Talk of DT being fired replaced by Juan Samuel

By Page 7, we're talking about Andy MacPhail's deadline deals.

That makes perfect sense.

Of course, the same troll comes in and turns every thread into an AM bashing thread. It's getting ridiculous.

Is it MacPhail's fault re the following?

1. Felix Pie being hurt

2. Brian Roberts being hurt

3. Nolan Reimold being in the minors/ineffective

4. Adam Jones having a terrible season

5. Nick Markakis not hitting for power

6. Matt Wieters having a poor offensive season

7. Koji, Gonzalez, Simon, Johnson all being hurt

8. Brad Bergesen and Brian Matusz going on a downward spiral (Matusz did rebound his last outing)

Atkins was his fault, yes. I thought it was a dumb signing then, and it's an even dumber signing now.

I've said this before but the signs were there that Pie, Jones, Wieters, Reimold and Markakis might not live up to the expectations placed on them based on 2009 and MacPhail did little to prepare for that happening.

Roberts' injury was well known before ST, and MacPhail stuck with Robert Andino as his replacement despite the fact he was one of the worst offensive players in baseball in 2009. When Andino disappointed as it was known he would - MacPhail could only get Lugo to replace him. Meanwhile Felipe Lopez was available at the beginning of ST and Mike Aviles was blocked in KC. Yet we wind up with Lugo.

Simon was an afterthought and never should have been in the majors this season, Koji has always been fragile. And JJ has had injury issues before.

Gonzalez hadn't been a healthy successful closer for sometime, and only really had one good healthy year with the Pirates.

Welp, a thread about Dave Trembley has devolved into ANOTHER AM-bashing fest.

Go away, JTrea.

I mentioned something about MacPhail in a post and somebody wanted follow up - hence I followed up.

I'd rather do that than be accused of running away.

And if you'd look, I'm not the one starting 90% of these anti-MacPhail threads or trends. Others are seeing things the same way now...

I've said this before but the signs were there that Pie, Jones, Wieters, Reimold and Markakis might not live up to the expectations placed on them based on 2009 and MacPhail did little to prepare for that happening.

Roberts' injury was well known before ST, and MacPhail stuck with Robert Andino as his replacement despite the fact he was one of the worst offensive players in baseball in 2009. When Andino disappointed as it was known he would - MacPhail could only get Lugo to replace him. Meanwhile Felipe Lopez was available at the beginning of ST and Mike Aviles was blocked in KC. Yet we wind up with Lugo.

Simon was an afterthought and never should have been in the majors this season, Koji has always been fragile. And JJ has had injury issues before.

Gonzalez hadn't been a healthy successful closer for sometime, and only really had one good healthy year with the Pirates.

Funny how 20/20 vision works with you, JTrea. It's not like you're some visionary.

Scouts still think Jones and Reimold are going to rebound.

Pie, yeah, he's not a piece that people put too much stock into when you have guys like Reimold and Jones in there respective spots. But the kicker is here?

Did you know, going into this season, that everything on my list would happen? How about 25% of it? 50%? 75%?

I mentioned something about MacPhail in a post and somebody wanted follow up - hence I followed up.

And if you'd look, I'm not the one starting 90% of these anti-MacPhail threads. Others are seeing things the same way now...

No, people just need to point the finger.

I'm very pessimistic about this club right now, but aside from the Atkins signing, there's not much I can fault MacPhail enough to cause me to call for his head.

And if you'd look, I'm not the one starting 90% of these anti-MacPhail threads or trends. Others are seeing things the same way now...

You knew exactly what would happen when you posted about AM yet you ruined the thread anyway.

Congrats.

Sigh

Every one of these threads ends up the same way...

You mean with you getting so worked up about someone sitting in front of a computer in Maine? I agree.

Some people just can't help themselves when it comes to JTrea. Just ignore him. What is so hard about that?

I don't have him on ignore...hell I don't even really disagree with anything he says but it's so repetitive that my eyes just glaze over whenever I see his Snoopy avatar.

Why can't everyone else do the same???

Funny how 20/20 vision works with you, JTrea. It's not like you're some visionary.

Scouts still think Jones and Reimold are going to rebound.

Pie, yeah, he's not a piece that people put too much stock into when you have guys like Reimold and Jones in there respective spots. But the kicker is here?

Did you know, going into this season, that everything on my list would happen? How about 25% of it? 50%? 75%?

I had stated in the offseason I was concerned about the younger players and their ability to carry the offense.

Archived