More evidence that Snyder's problem is Harbor Park

wildcard

The O's do need to change the dimensions of Harbor Park. There is no reason that it should be as deep as old Tiger Stadium.

The dimensions are exactly the same as OPACY. 333-410-318. The problem is the wind.

Ah. I always thought people were saying it was a very deep park.

They did bring the RF fence in 20 feet prior to 2009. But the winds blowing in off the water has always been the biggest problem.

The dimensions are exactly the same as OPACY. 333-410-318. The problem is the wind.

I've been thinking for a while that there's no reason why our parks should be so fringe-y from level-to-level. Instead of bouncing players from extreme pitchers' park to extreme hitters park, can't we find some kind of normalization?

I think the criticism is valid on two separate valences: first, you run the risk of players developing bad habits catered to their temporary home; second, it complicates your evaluation.

I've only seen Snyder play a couple of times, and that was a few years ago at Frederick. I remember in one game he hit a couple of laser shots, one off the center field fence and the other a low liner into left center that got caught. My question is: is Snyder basically a line drive/power alley type hitter? If so, I would think that neither the outfield dimensions or the wind would seriously affect his hitting method.

As for Harbor Park, I was there a few times back in the 80's when the Yankees AAA team played there.. And although the dimensions are the same as Opacy, how the park is laid out gives the illusion that the outfield is much larger.

I've been thinking for a while that there's no reason why our parks should be so fringe-y from level-to-level. Instead of bouncing players from extreme pitchers' park to extreme hitters park, can't we find some kind of normalization?

I think the criticism is valid on two separate valences: first, you run the risk of players developing bad habits catered to their temporary home; second, it complicates your evaluation.

I don't think that's true. A few years ago I wrote a piece that examined the park factors throughout the O's system, and the only hitter's parks were Bluefield and Frederick. Aberdeen and Norfolk are pretty extreme pitcher's parks, Bowie plays something like Memorial/OPACY (good for homers, not so much for anything else), Delmarva was a pretty good pitchers park IIRC, Frederick is a moderately good hitter's park, and Bluefield is kind of crazy for offense (very small park at altitude).

The overall effect was that throughout a player's time in the system they generally saw a run context half a run to a run lower than they'd see in the majors. And that you could expect a pitcher in Norfolk to add nearly two runs per nine to his RA upon promotion (given reasonable samples).

We don't have anything like Rancho Cucamonga, High Desert, or Colorado Springs in the system, although Bluefield trends in that direction.

As for Harbor Park, I was there a few times back in the 80's when the Yankees AAA team played there.. And although the dimensions are the same as Opacy, how the park is laid out gives the illusion that the outfield is much larger.

I've been there fairly recently, and I had the impression that the gaps were much deeper than OPACY, and I think I remember it has 10' or 12' fences all the way around.

I've only seen Snyder play a couple of times, and that was a few years ago at Frederick. I remember in one game he hit a couple of laser shots, one off the center field fence and the other a low liner into left center that got caught. My question is: is Snyder basically a line drive/power alley type hitter? If so, I would think that neither the outfield dimensions or the wind would seriously affect his hitting method.

Any ball with a little elevation will be affected by the wind. It's not hard to imagine Snyder seeing a couple of his gappers hang up in the right-center alley long enough for an OFer to run under them, and say to himself, "Man, I'd better stay away from there."

I don't think that's true. A few years ago I wrote a piece that examined the park factors throughout the O's system, and the only hitter's parks were Bluefield and Frederick. Aberdeen and Norfolk are pretty extreme pitcher's parks, Bowie plays something like Memorial/OPACY (good for homers, not so much for anything else), Delmarva was a pretty good pitchers park IIRC, Frederick is a moderately good hitter's park, and Bluefield is kind of crazy for offense (very small park at altitude).

The overall effect was that throughout a player's time in the system they generally saw a run context half a run to a run lower than they'd see in the majors. And that you could expect a pitcher in Norfolk to add nearly two runs per nine to his RA upon promotion (given reasonable samples).

We don't have anything like Rancho Cucamonga, High Desert, or Colorado Springs in the system, although Bluefield trends in that direction.

Interesting. I don't know enough about the run contexts, and was really only going off of the Frederick/Delmarva disparity.

Conceptually, though, does this the idea make sense? Wouldn't oscillation between poles theoretically create problems?

Interesting. I don't know enough about the run contexts, and was really only going off of the Frederick/Delmarva disparity.

Conceptually, though, does this the idea make sense? Wouldn't oscillation between poles theoretically create problems?

Maybe. I'd stress throughout the organization that you hit the way you hit no matter where you are, and not worry about park effects. But making that work in reality could present problems.

The park may be contributing to his problems, but if a .85 park factor causes a guy to lose half of his offensive value he's not a prospect. Just as Trea's mad ramblings about the inevitable implosion of any flyball-ish pitcher in OPACY, this has little or no merit. Good players are good players no matter what park. This isn't Griffith Stadium, 402 down the LF line and a 40-ft wall in right.

I'd leave him in Norfolk until he figures it out (within reason). Hopefully he's gotten over this mental hump, and he's back on track.

I have to agree. Not to mention he's not hitting on the road either. If he's so mentally weak that he can't hit in Harbor Stadium then he's going to meltdown in the majors during his first slump.

Let's hope it's more or an adjustment phase, but that K:BB ratio does not bode well for him.

The O's do need to change the dimensions of Harbor Park. There is no reason that it should be as deep as old Tiger Stadium.

We aint spending the money. No way we force the county down there to spend the money. It is all down to money.

We aint spending the money. No way we force the county down there to spend the money. It is all down to money.

What can a fence cost for Pete sake. Weigh the cost of a fence vs the development of prospects like Snyder or Bell and its peanuts.

Archived