Reviewing Joe Jordan's O's Draft History... 2006

Noteworthy players are highlighted in red.

1 William Rowell 3B Bishop Eustace Prep School, NJ

1s Pedro Beato RHP St Petersburg JC, FL

2 Ryan Adams 3B Jesuit HS, LA

3 Zachary Britton LHP Weatherford HS, TX

4 Blake Davis SS Cal St Fullerton, CA

5 Bobby Henson SS Tuttle HS, OK

6 Jason Berken RHP Clemson U, SC

7 Joshua Tamba RHP Cypress Col, CA

8 Jedidiah Stephen SS Ohio St U, OH

9 Brett Bordes LHP Arizona St U, AZ

10 Emeel Salem CF U Alabama Tuscaloosa, AL

11 Anthony Martinez 1B Louisburg Col, NC

12 Brandon Tripp OF Cal St Fullerton, CA

13 Ryan Ouellette RHP Indian River CC, FL

14 Brent Allar RHP Texas Christian U, TX

15 Dustin Black C Cleveland St CC, TN

16 Justin Johnson C U Illinois Chicago, IL

17 Anthony Watson LHP U Nebraska Lincoln, NE

18 Nathan Nery LHP Stetson U, FL

19 Todd Davison SS U Delaware, DE

20 Zachary Dillon C Baylor U, TX

21 Luis Lopez CF Dra Maria Cadilla de Mart

22 Christopher Salberg LHP Florida Atlantic U, FL

23 Aubrey Miller RHP Arkansas Tech U, AR

24 Joshua Faiola RHP Dartmouth Col, NH

25 Donald Anderson RHP Southwestern Col, CA

26 Kipp Schutz RF Evansville Harrison HS, IN

27 Zachary Jevne RHP U Northern Iowa, IA

28 Michael Pierce C Fresno Pacific U, CA

29 Brandon Kimbrel RHP Cameron Yoe HS, TX

30 Chris Cassidy LHP Riverside CC, CA

31 Zachary Gerler SS Francis Howell Central HS, MO

32 Barrett Dail RHP Millbrook HS, NC

33 Andrew Conklin RHP South Mountain CC, AZ

34 Tyler Blandford RHP Daviess County HS, KY

35 Matthew Drummond LHP Paso Robles HS, CA

36 Patrick Egan RHP Quinnipiac U, CT

37 Michael Lane CF Daviess County HS, KY

38 Adam Urnberg RHP Col Southern Idaho, ID

39 Neal Davis LHP Catonsville HS, MD

40 David Cash 2B U Florida, FL

41 Scott Migl RHP St Pius X HS, TX

42 Jordan Durrance LHP Sierra HS, CA

43 Jose Kianes RF Martin County HS, FL

44 Travis Lamar RHP Evansville Harrison HS, IN

45 Isaiah Stanback CF U Washington, WA

46 Vincent DiFazio C Indian River CC, FL

47 Troy Burki LHP Gig Harbor HS, WA

48 Jason Mills RHP George Mason U, VA

49 Daniel Watson RHP Manatee HS, FL

50 Orlando Rodriguez C Dr Heriberto Domenech HS, NH

While there is still some hope that #1 pick Billy Rowell can turn his career around, he may be a footnote in history, as the player taken right before Tim Lincecum. At this juncture Rowell appears a bust. Appears.

Pedro Beato may or may not forge a path to the majors as a reliever, but thus far he has been a big disappointment.

Zach Britton was an excellent pick in the third round, and is our best minor league prospect in the eyes of many.

Jason Berken appears to have found a spot in the pen, and has a promising future there.

Neither Henson, Davis or Adams seem to have futures as major leaguers.

Pat Egan was a solid selection late, and he could find a bullpen role.

Overall Grade? As with many drafts, the jury remains out, though were one to ask for a grade at this juncture, I'd rate Jordan's 2006 Draft as a D.

That is a pretty awful looking draft. Britton is that only thing that makes this draft anything but a nightmare.

I'm contemplating asking Gregg Pappas to stop doing these posts as I don't know if I can handle anymore. What would really be interesting is to put the RSOX drafts for the same years side by side.

That is a pretty awful looking draft. Britton is that only thing that makes this draft anything but a nightmare.

I'm contemplating asking Gregg Pappas to stop doing these posts as I don't know if I can handle anymore. What would really be interesting is to put the RSOX drafts for the same years side by side.

It isn't pretty seeing how we compare to the rest of the AL East in '05/'06.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/draft-dish/2010/2610196.html

Here's an analysis of how the 2006 draft went compared to the rest of the AL East, in terms of major league performance so far:

Orioles: Berken -1.0 WAR

Yankees: Chamberlain 4.3 WAR, Kennedy -0.4 WAR, McCutchen 0.3 WAR, Robertson 0.4 WAR, Melancon 0.1 WAR

Sox: Bard 0.5 WAR, Masterson 2.9 WAR, Bates -0.1 WAR, Richardson 0.1 WAR, LaPorta 0.5 WAR, Reddick** 0.1 WAR

Jays: Snider* 0.1 WAR

Rays: Longoria 10.4, Butler -0.1

* Draft out of high school

** drafted out of juco

Longoria was the 3rd overall pick, so no regrets there. But our class has performed poorly compared to our competitors'.

I say its an F either way, as he missed a Cy Young winning pitcher in favor of a guy who peaked in HS.:rolleyestf:

Bad criterion. Every team drafts guys who don't make it, and every team fails to pick some guy who later becomes a Hall of Famer. You have to look at overall results.

Hypothetically, let's say Britton goes on to be a 100-game winner in the majors, Beato has a 10-year career as a solid reliever, and Berken has a 5-7 year career as a decent reliever. That would be a decent yield for a draft. It is too soon to know how this draft will be viewed in hindsight.

Bad criterion. Every team drafts guys who don't make it, and every team fails to pick some guy who later becomes a Hall of Famer. You have to look at overall results.

Hypothetically, let's say Britton goes on to be a 100-game winner in the majors, Beato has a 10-year career as a solid reliever, and Berken has a 5-7 year career as a decent reliever. That would be a decent yield for a draft. It is too soon to know how this draft will be viewed in hindsight.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I do recall how the Orioles TV commentators at the time were all enthused about Beato and actually interviewed him after he was signed. As usual, though he hasn't developed to expectations as to what he was drafted to be (starter).

Yeah, I guess you are right. I do recall how the Orioles TV commentators at the time were all enthused about Beato and actually interviewed him after he was signed. As usual, though he hasn't developed to expectations as to what he was drafted to be (starter).

I have been disappointed in Beato, but if he develops into a solid reliever, that would still be a good outcome for that pick. For what it's worth, Beato was the 32nd player chosen, and 15 of the players drafted ahead of him have not yet reached the majors. In any given draft, only 57-70% of the players selected in the first round (including 1st round supplemental) typically make it to the majors, and even a lot of those never have more than a cup of coffee.

I love Adams. He has an Arrieta-type confidence to him. Something we really need in Baltimore is some confidence, i'll even take cockiness. Adam Jones is the only one that comes to mind, along with Arrieta, who have a good deal of open confidence to themselves.

I'm not going out on a limb here when I say that Britton will be a solid major league starter as well as the staple of this draft.

Also, the only other guy that I really have some type of hope for is Beato. I think we could see him in Baltimore towards the end of the year, best case scenario. Same with Britton.

I think I have given up on Rowell. I don't know what to think of him. Monumental dissapointment for me.

Finally, I had no idea we drafted Isiah Stanback, who has played for the Cowboys and Patriots I believe during his NFL career.

This will probably be Jordan's worst draft, but it was his draft most in line with the national consensus. I believe Rowell, Beato, Adams and Britton were all inside the BA Top 75.

IMO, when I compiled the writeups that year, it seemed highly unlikely that Jed Stephens had a shot at the majors. People thought Bordes would move quick and he has not.

Tyler Henson is not one to write off yet. He's in the midst of one of his best month's since signing and could emerge as one of our minors better stories in a season lacking in them if he keeps it up.

Tyler Henson is not one to write off yet. He's in the midst of one of his best month's since signing and could emerge as one of our minors better stories in a season lacking in them if he keeps it up.

I agree here. Adams is not a total write-off at this point, either.

We drafted Isaiah Stanback?

Well at least JJ picked a professional athlete :D

I saw that. He was a pretty good QB for the huskies. Great Athlete. The Rox took both Kyle Parker and Russell Wilson two very good ACC QB's. Parker being the only NCAA player to throw 20 TD's and hit 20 HR's and did it as a Freshman. I actually like Russell Wilson a little more then Parker. If not mistaken Pat White was drafted by the Yanks last year and Mick Vick was drafted by someone and had not played since 8th grade.

Archived