Narron and Bridwell sign with O's

I think this probably answers why the O's got Buck to manage this season. Without him, I seriously doubt these two would have signed.

While that may be true, they didn't hire Buck for the sole reason to sign two HS draftees. They hired him for much more than that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this probably answers why the O's got Buck to manage this season. Without him, I seriously doubt these two would have signed.

Honestly, I don't think either has to do with eachother. They both were gonna sign regardless of who are manager is. Joe Jordan wouldn't have picked these guys in the top 10 if he didn't expect to sign them, Buck has done some great stuff for the team already, but these signings have nothing to do with Buck....

While that may be true, they didn't hire Buck for the sole reason to sign two HS draftees. They hired him for much more than that.

Indeed, they hired him because he's a winner, and he provides legitimacy to the organization.

Hence, draftees tend to sign when they learn he has been hired, because he's a winner and provides legitimacy to the organization. Draftees tend not to sign when the organization that drafted them has no legitimacy, is losing and has an interim manager.

The timing of his hiring was certainly not chance when your top picks also remain unsigned.

Indeed, they hired him because he's a winner, and he provides legitimacy to the organization.

Hence, draftees tend to sign when they learn he has been hired, because he's a winner and provides legitimacy to the organization. Draftees tend not to sign when the organization that drafted them has no legitimacy, is losing and has an interim manager.

The timing of his hiring was certainly not chance when your top picks also remain unsigned.

I assumed you were using sarcasm before.

These guys signing has absolutely nothing to do with the timing of Buck's hiring, or vice versa. That's just a ludicrous claim.

Pure genius. I certainly never thought about it that way, but the Showalter hiring also explains the Tejada trade and the Ohlman trade as well.

Could Brian Roberts have somehow known that Showalter was going to be hired so he rushed back off the DL?

Wow, it's all becoming clear now.

Pure genius. I certainly never thought about it that way, but the Showalter hiring also explains the Tejada trade and the Ohlman trade as well.

Could Brian Roberts have somehow known that Showalter was going to be hired so he rushed back off the DL?

Wow, it's all becoming clear now.

Don't forget the capping of the BP oil leak. That timing can't just be a coincidence with the Showalter hiring...

But seriously, good to have these guys signed.

The Orioles are nearing agreements with two more of their top 10 picks, both high upside high school players that will get above slot deals to join the organization.

Fifth-round pick, shortstop/third baseman Connor Narron and ninth-rounder, right-handed pitcher Parker Bridwell, are expected in Baltimore later this week to take physicals. That is pretty much all that is left before they finalize their deals.

When the two deals are completed, the Orioles will have agreed to terms with 33 of their 49 selections from the June draft, including five of their top 10 and nine of their top 15.

Their top two picks – Florida high school shortstop Manny Machado (1st round, 3rd overall) and UCLA right-handed pitcher Dan Klein (3rd round) remain unsigned. The Orioles will have until midnight on Aug. 16 to come to an agreement or they’ll lose their draft rights.

Orioles Director of Scouting Joe Jordan will be in California this week to scout the Area Code games, and could meet directly with Klein and his representative, John Boggs, along with a couple of other draft picks. Two other unsigned top 10 picks – sixth rounder Dixon Anderson, a right-handed pitcher from U.C. Berkeley, and seventh rounder Matthew Bywater, a left-handed pitcher out of Pepperdine – also hail from California.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/08/narron_bridwell_to_take_physic.html

Personally I could care less if we sign Machado. Give me the #1 and #4 pick next June and I would be ecstatic:)

Personally I could care less if we sign Machado. Give me the #1 and #4 pick next June and I would be ecstatic:)

I understand this line of thinking, but it would be nice to have a stud SS prospect in our system.

I don't understand not signing Machado. The O's don't have an all-star ceiling SS in the minors, and they have already been shown to stick to a budget in the draft, making it very unlikely they would dish out the money to sign Rendon + one of Jungmann/Cole/Purke. I'd rather sign Machado now and get a top SS talent in the system than sit around and wait for June 2011 and hope the O's draft and sign two 6+ million dollar draft picks then.

I don't understand not signing Machado. The O's don't have an all-star ceiling SS in the minors, and they have already been shown to stick to a budget in the draft, making it very unlikely they would dish out the money to sign Rendon + one of Jungmann/Cole/Purke. I'd rather sign Machado now and get a top SS talent in the system than sit around and wait for June 2011 and hope the O's draft and sign two 6+ million dollar draft picks then.

This guy gets it.

Whatever money you don't spend in 2010 can just be added to the 2011 draft budget, so I don't see next year's budget at the big issue. However, I'd rather have a bird in the hand than one in the bush. If you are unable to sign the comp pick, you lose the pick entirely.

Agreed and Narron was one of the tougher guys to sign, right? Well...the assupmtion from draft day at least.

I don't think the issue was whether he wanted to sign (he wants to start his pro career right now). The question was whether he was worth the money he's asking for. Interested to see how much it took to ink him.

I don't think the issue was whether he wanted to sign (he wants to start his pro career right now). The question was whether he was worth the money he's asking for. Interested to see how much it took to ink him.

According Jordan Tuwiner, bonus was bottom of the 1st round $$....

Archived