Narron and Bridwell sign with O's

Showalter spent 4 years in NY, 3 years in AZ, and 4 years in TX. The Orioles haven't retained a manager for more than 4 years in nearly 3 decades. There's a possibility that he might not be here by the time high schoolers drafted this year make it to the majors. I can't imagine he would have much of an affect.
I assumed you were using sarcasm before.

These guys signing has absolutely nothing to do with the timing of Buck's hiring, or vice versa. That's just a ludicrous claim.

Indeed, they hired him because he's a winner, and he provides legitimacy to the organization.

Hence, draftees tend to sign when they learn he has been hired, because he's a winner and provides legitimacy to the organization. Draftees tend not to sign when the organization that drafted them has no legitimacy, is losing and has an interim manager.

The timing of his hiring was certainly not chance when your top picks also remain unsigned.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-notebook-0805-20100804,0,4404674.story?page=2

Jerry Narron on Showalter (page 2 of above article)

Narron, who managed the Cincinnati Reds from 2005 to 2007 and the Texas Rangers from 2001 to 2002, has an interesting perspective on the Orioles' recent managerial hire, and not just because his son might play in the big leagues someday. Showalter replaced Narron as manager in Texas.

"I think they made a great choice. He has been in the position to build or rebuild ballclubs before," Narron said. "He knows what it takes. He is a baseball guy, and I think the Orioles made a great choice."

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think they made a great choice. He has been in the position to build or rebuild ballclubs before," Narron said. "He knows what it takes. He is a baseball guy, and I think the Orioles made a great choice."

This quote doesn't imply anything to the effect that Narron decided to sign now that Showalter is managing the O's.

This quote doesn't imply anything to the effect that Narron decided to sign now that Showalter is managing the O's.
I agree. There is no connection between the signing and Buck signing, period.

Whatevs my bruvs, maybe so. I just think there's a possibility that the influence of Buck's signing MAY have had an effect. Or, once Buck signed, he MAY have signed off on these deals. We can agree, though, to disagree. ;):) I like "conspiracy theories" anyway. :P Oh yeah, and I still believe that Century, FL's, Nat Showalter, IS God!

Jeff Zrebiac agrees with you guys and others here on the OH.

Jeff Z's reply to fifth comment on link below:

"While I certainly don't disagree that Showalter hiring sends the right message to everyone around baseball that O's are serious about turning this thing around, these two draft agreements were in the works and pretty much completed for a while now, certainly before Buck was announced. You just have to wait a little while because of they are overslots and do other things, including physicals for them to be finalized. I'm glad people are really excited about Showalter and it was nice to cover a game at Camden Yards where there was some buzz. But I think it's a little much to credit Buck for things that he clearly has no involvement in. "

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/08/narron_bridwell_to_take_physic.html

In other words, the answer to the question: "Do you know much about Narron" is "No."

More accurately, "No, but I am completely convinced he won't be any good anyway."

In fairness, Narron's .310 BA in HS is a bit worrying, but his OBP was something ridiculous like .650, and his SLG was about .800 as well, so I'm not particularly concerned with the BA.

More accurately, "No, but I am completely convinced he won't be any good anyway."

In fairness, Narron's .310 BA in HS is a bit worrying, but his OBP was something ridiculous like .650, and his SLG was about .800 as well, so I'm not particularly concerned with the BA.

The batting average doesn't bother me at all either. It looks to me like he was pitched around alot and not given many pitches to hit. That tells me the other teams feared his bat. That average likely would have been quite a bit higher if teams would have pitched to him more. Either that or he has an incredible eye and great plate discipline. Either way, I likey!

In other words, the answer to the question: "Do you know much about Narron" is "No."

Well in all fairness none of us really know much about him right now. You don't really "know" a prospect until you've seen him play a couple seasons in the minors. We know he's got the tools to be drafted and signed at a good chunk of change, now we just need to see what he'll do with them.

Well in all fairness none of us really know much about him right now. You don't really "know" a prospect until you've seen him play a couple seasons in the minors. We know he's got the tools to be drafted and signed at a good chunk of change, now we just need to see what he'll do with them.

Yes, but also in all fairness, how can you conclude someone won't make it, especially when you don't know a single thing about the kid. That is ignorance IMO. I mean, I haven't seen Narron play, but I can make an argument for why he will/can succeed based off of the info we have on him. Can you make an argument that he won't be successful without knowing anything about him? No, so while I agree with what you say, I don't agree in defending PBJ's ignorance....

Yes, but also in all fairness, how can you conclude someone won't make it, especially when you don't know a single thing about the kid. That is ignorance IMO. I mean, I haven't seen Narron play, but I can make an argument for why he will/can succeed based off of the info we have on him. Can you make an argument that he won't be successful without knowing anything about him? No, so while I agree with what you say, I don't agree in defending PBJ's ignorance....

I wasn't defending his ignorance, I didn't even read what that was in response to. Calm down jumpy. Read what I wrote, all I did is point out like we have discussed a few times, that you have no idea what you have for a few years.

You might want to back up and read the full exchange. I realize that we can't "know" him for a couple of seasons, thanks. The odds are against him as they are with most everybody below the top 15 or 20 picks.

I just think writing him off or even discounting him at this point is pretty silly.

Here's the comment that started the exchange:

It looks like they overpaid for Narron. I hope the guy pans out, but I'm a big doubter.

followed by:

NO ONE plays craps more than me and I never bet the don't. I have my chips on the don't on everyone's favorite Jordan bad choice this year. Come bets anyone?

He's the only individual in this thread claiming to have some insight or knowledge.

You might want to back up and read the full exchange. I realize that we can't "know" him for a couple of seasons, thanks. The odds are against him as they are with most everybody below the top 15 or 20 picks.

I just think writing him off or even discounting him at this point is pretty silly.

Here's the comment that started the exchange:

followed by:

He's the only individual in this thread claiming to have some insight or knowledge.

You put the wrong context on it. I wasn't agreeing with him in the slightest (never do), nor was I disagreeing with you. I was just reminding people that worrying about what these kids are going to be in 4-5 years is stupid to do right now. Let's talk about it in 2 years and see where we are at.

Archived