Stark on Baseball Tonight

DC2Dallas

Agreed, though I think Pence offers us somebody who really can hit for power, while the guys in the Angels package are different kind of players. Also, Hirsh is ready to pitch in the big leagues, while Adenhart is still in A ball.

True. The problem I have with Pence is where to put him. The Outfield is the only place where we actually have position depth. Seems like at some point our corner outfield is going to be too crowded between Markakis, Reimold & Pence. None of them seem to be extremely comfortable in Centerfield.

I prefer the Angels package because they have more infield depth, something we need badly. If we could fill 1B, replace Tejada at SS and get a young pitcher with tons of upside, I'd have a hard time passing that up.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True. The problem I have with Pence is where to put him. The Outfield is the only place where we actually have position depth. Seems like at some point our corner outfield is going to be too crowded between Markakis, Reimold & Pence. None of them seem to be extremely comfortable in Centerfield.

I prefer the Angels package because they have more infield depth, something we need badly. If we could fill 1B, replace Tejada at SS and get a young pitcher with tons of upside, I'd have a hard time passing that up.

I think that is a problem you deal with down the road. The goal right now is to stock pile talent.

Personally, I don't think either of those deals are enough to get a trade done.

On the Astros side, we still need an extra prospect or two whether we have to take Everett back or not.

On the Angels side, if they aren't going to give up Kendrick or Wood, we should be able to add Arredondo, Sean Rodriguez, or maybe Mathis to that package.

Still, I do agree, the Angels with their boat load of infield prospects is very enticing.

If you were the O's and you had your druthers... which package would you prefer between :

Adenhardt, Aybar and Kotchman (not that Stoneman would do that)

or

Everett, Pence and Hirsch???

Just curious.

I know everyone's come down in favor of the Angels offer, but IMO that's a really, really tough call.

IMO Hirsh is the best of the 6, and he's basically ML-ready. The problem is that if for whatever reason, Pence doesn't pan out, then the O's are really screwed offensively.

Aybar and Kotchman give the O's two guys that are ML-ready, and although at this point both are typically lower-rated than Pence and Hirsh, they both fill glaring needs. Adenhart is a terrific prospect, but he's a single-A pitcher. Lots of risk there.

In the end I'd probably go with the Angels offer too.

If we can get both Kendrick and Aybar, I'd prefer that to getting Wood and Aybar or another similar prospect. I'd also have to get a pitcher, prefereably Adenhart, in the deal.

Kendrick, Aybar, and Adenhart is probably a deal I'd do for Tejada. Kendrick would probably put up an .800+ OPS next season, if not closer to .900, and Aybar will be a better option at SS than Fahey, although I'm not a huge fan of Aybar.

I'd prefer Adenhart to Saunders because Adenhart's ceiling is much higher and we already have a few guys like Saunders who could contribute next year (Cabrera, Penn, Loewen) but have higher ceilings.

If we can get both Kendrick and Aybar, I'd prefer that to getting Wood and Aybar or another similar prospect. I'd also have to get a pitcher, prefereably Adenhart, in the deal.

Kendrick, Aybar, and Adenhart is probably a deal I'd do for Tejada. Kendrick would probably put up an .800+ OPS next season, if not closer to .900, and Aybar will be a better option at SS than Fahey, although I'm not a huge fan of Aybar.

I'd prefer Adenhart to Saunders because Adenhart's ceiling is much higher and we already have a few guys like Saunders who could contribute next year (Cabrera, Penn, Loewen) but have higher ceilings.

Would you settle for a guy like Arredondo instead of Adenhart if the Angels refused to part with him? I would likely be willing to make that compromise if we could still get Wood and Aybar.

I think when it comes down to it, we need to get;

Brandon Wood (SS) of the future

Ervin Santana (SP)

If we cant get Santana, We need to go get a future pitching prospect (Adenhart or Saunders). I prefer Adenhart

AND

Kendrick

So basically in order for us to give up Tejada, we have to get the Angels top 3 prospects (all of which are rated higher than anyone in our system, including Markakis, Penn & Loewen), plus a young MLB pitcher off their current team, which is in contention for a playoff spot.

Thats it? :)

Why make our demands so unreasonable that we end up missing a good deal?

Santana isn't happening. If we could get two of Wood/Kendrick/Adenhart, I'd consider that a damn good deal considering these guys are among the elite prospects in all of baseball.

We are losing sight of the FO's demands for Maj league talent...The fans want youth and potential but the FO wants someone they can market as a blue bobblehead in September:p

That is a very vague position they are holding, at least as far as we know.

Aybar is major league ready. Wood is tearing up AA, but his K rate shows he isn't ready yet. Maybe a year from now, he'll be ready. The pitcher we receive will likley be two or more years away, but he will have a lot of upside.

I think that Wood, Aybar/Kotchman, and Adenhart would be the best offer out there.

However, I feel that Hirsch, Pence, Nieve, and Everett is slightly more realistic. Even if you have to take out Nieve.

It's a tough call, but at this point, I'm willing to bet that the Astros deal has a higher chance of getting done than the Angels deal. And I'd rather send Tejada to an NL team than keeping him in-league.

I'd prefer to take the Angels package, but if I had to put money on where I thought that Tejada would end up, I'd probably put my cash on Houston.

I support any Houston or LAA deal that nets us top prospects, though I like LAA's prospects better, because I've become increasingly convinced that it makes no sense to keep Tejada on this team. We just wasted 3 years of his career here going nowhere. He has a right to be a little upset about that, given what he was promised when he signed the contract. Now it's starting to show in his play and in the clubhouse. He's 30 now. His defense has already gone in the crapper to the point that I view him as approaching unusable at SS, and he's getting to the age where his offense is going to start to decline, too. We had him in his prime and we wasted him. I get angrier every time I think about it. This team has been going about things the wrong way for years now, and one way to fix that is to get rid of this player that we cannot use right now and get prospects that will be helping us in the future when the rest of the team is ready to match up to them, instead of having one superstar and a bunch of scrubs like the 2003 Texas Rangers.

I would jump for joy if the FO finally managed to trade Tejada, but I have no faith in them being able to pull the trigger. They haven't been able to pull the trigger on a deal like this since, oh, I don't even know when. I'm not mad that PA has to approve: every owner in baseball would want to approve a trade of a player like Tejada, except for maybe Time Warner. But it'll never get done.

I tell you one thing, as bad as things are with our FO, I wake up every morning these days and head to the 'puter to see if there was a trade that happened while I slept.

Waiting with some hope for something 'good' to happen for the O's (even if it means trading Miggy for some good young players). :)

Especially if it means trading Miggy for some good young players.

I still think the most logical deal is the one davearm proposed: Adenhart, Aybar, Kotchman, and Mathis for Tejada. The Orioles plug a lot of holes, and the Angels don't have to give up any of the guys currently helping them. Of course I'd rather get Wood or Kendrick, but that's still a lot of talent, and Adenhart could quickly become one of the Orioles top starters.

I still think the most logical deal is the one davearm proposed: Adenhart, Aybar, Kotchman, and Mathis for Tejada. The Orioles plug a lot of holes, and the Angels don't have to give up any of the guys currently helping them. Of course I'd rather get Wood or Kendrick, but that's still a lot of talent, and Adenhart could quickly become one of the Orioles top starters.

I hate how people talk about pluging holes.

I really do not want Mathis/Kotchman/Aybar.

Thats all we have been doing for the past 10 years is plugging friggin holes.

We can plug our wholes through FA and minors if we really needed too.

If we trade Tejada, we need to try to get the best potential (which is Wood, Kendrick and pitching prospects. At least get one of Wood or Kendrick).

Would you settle for a guy like Arredondo instead of Adenhart if the Angels refused to part with him? I would likely be willing to make that compromise if we could still get Wood and Aybar.

I'd settle for Saunders if we're getting Kendrick. If we're getting Wood, I Woodn't (hehe).

I don't know anything about Arredondo, so I'd have to check him out a bit and get back to you on that.

Archived