Townsend or Mahoney?

QBsILLEST1

Curious to who other posters feel is the better 1B prospect between the 2. I know many people will say Mahoney because he was scorching the ball and did it at a higher level and is very athletic and has finally shown some power this year. But, I personally like Townsend more. I know he is just now really beginning to hit in Frederick, but the injuries have really hampered him all year and he has still managed to hit pretty well.

If I believed the Mahoney that we all saw tear through the Carolina league and onto the Eastern league was the "real" Mahoney, then it'd be a no-brainer, but he is playing over his head IMO. He may wind up to be very solid, but I think that Townsend will wind up better. It is very close for me I will add, but I am just skeptical of players who suddenly erupt for a few months of the year who haven't shown a track record of this type of production. Townsend when healthy has been pretty much what I was hoping he would be when we drafted him....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's tough just because they're two guys that I think a lot of people, myself included, don't have enough info and data on. My gut says Mahoney, but I have no real argument for it. Maybe it's the better athleticism and contact.

Mahoney's done nothing his last ten games-under .200. And Townsend is in the low minors and can't stay off the DL-batting .167 at Frederick overall.If I'm the O's, I try to sign a top first basemen this winter. If they come thru, great, but don't count on them.

While I'm a Mahoney fan, I'd have to give the edge to Townsend. He was an impressive college hitter (if I recall correctly) who's done very well when healthy this year. With Townsend, it's like - What's not to like - when he's healthy? ...while Mahoney seems to be inconsistent and perhaps free-falling.

Mahoney's done nothing his last ten games-under .200. And Townsend is in the low minors and can't stay off the DL-batting .167 at Frederick overall.If I'm the O's, I try to sign a top first basemen this winter. If they come thru, great, but don't count on them.

How is this a valid argument? You are going to write off Mahoney because of his first real cold spell of the season?

We don't know near enough yet to make any kind of judgement. Mahoney is a kid who has all the raw materials, and with coaching he has turned it on. Mahoney was not a baseball factory kid through high school and college. He has come a long way. What I like about him most is how he handles it all. Very well rounded nugget.

Townsend seems to be a very talented bat. I would just like to see the kid stay healthy for one solid year before I can say anything more definitive.

Maybe Mahoney moves to the OF and Townsend takes 1B in a few years. Who knows. But to make any judgements just yet, well, nah.

Until Townsend shows me he can stay on the field for a full season, I can't rank him ahead of Mahoney. Personally I think Snyder is better than Mahoney.

Some folks forget quickly all the success Brandon had at Bowie. Especially when he has struggled in Norfolk for a year and a half. He reminds me of a Michael Cuddyer (of a few years ago) at the plate. He will hit, he needs more time. He needs a callup this year if he's healthy.

I'll take Townsend. I think he's looking like he might be the more complete hitter of the two because of better plate discipline. It's amazing the difference between Townsend's awful debut last year and this year. Talent wise, I think Townsend will be ready for AA next year, although I suspect he'll start at Frederick again.

I don't know how you can make an argument that Townsend is ready for Bowie. Heck, in parts of two seasons he only has played in 75 games and only 11 at Frederick, where he was not impressive at all before going on the DL.

I don't know how you can make an argument that Townsend is ready for Bowie. Heck, in parts of two seasons he only has played in 75 games and only 11 at Frederick, where he was not impressive at all before going on the DL.

I have yet to see Townsend. Looking forward to it sometime next season when he makes it to Bowie. One of my faults is not seeing more players at Fredrick and Delmarva. Hopefully I can take a few more trips to those ballparks. As of now I have to go with Mahoney. Snyder is on the radar and should get a shot at making the O's in 2011

I have yet to see Townsend. Looking forward to it sometime next season when he makes it to Bowie. One of my faults is not seeing more players at Fredrick and Delmarva. Hopefully I can take a few more trips to those ballparks. As of now I have to go with Mahoney. Snyder is on the radar and should get a shot at making the O's in 2011

My thing is this though, regardless of Townsend being hurt or not, when healthy, he is an all around hitter, and has a track record to prove that which dates back to college. Mahoney wasn't really on the radar screen coming into this year, he suddenly goes on a hot streak for a couple of months which pads his stats, and suddenly that means more than years of track record from Townsend? I just can't get behind that. Mahoney's track record says the hot streak was just that, a hot streak. I can't place Mahoney ahead of Townsend, or even Snyder in actuality based on a hot streak.....

I

Archived