Showalter and trades this offseason

JTrea81

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We do not have alot of trade pieces. I think some of the people you want to trade will not get you as much as some people think.Riemold would get as very little. We would have to trade some pitching prospects to get anything of long term value.

Guthrie and Scott have very solid value.

And they do have some of that young pitching they could move and really, that they should move.

They could also move Pie or Jones, although I doubt they move Jones.

They have money, some pieces, a potentially very good young core and a manager that has a ton of respect..they may be able to get some guys here...But AM has to be willing to spend some money and has to show he willing to move young pieces for ML ready talent and/or vets.

Jtrea, lets say San Fran trades for Fielder but Fielder wants to wait to go to free agency to sign a deal.

San Fran offers him 8/160...We offer him 8/180.

He now has ties to San Fran but Baltimore offers him 20 million more...Who gets Fielder?

Baltimore obviously, but that would be SF's mistake for lowballing him.

If the Orioles trade for him and the money is right, my guess is that he would re-up with Baltimore.

I'm not saying we'd get a hometown discount, but he'd want Boras to work out a deal with the Orioles first before the other clubs unless he had a burning desire to play somewhere else.

Baltimore obviously, but that would be SF's mistake for lowballing him.

If the Orioles trade for him and the money is right, my guess is that he would re-up with Baltimore.

I'm not saying we'd get a hometown discount, but he'd want Boras to work out a deal with the Orioles first before the other clubs unless he had a burning desire to play somewhere else.

Thanks for proving my point..Its all about the money.

And 8/160 is hardly a low ball offer...That would be a dumb contract.

And he won't want Boras to negotiate with just us..He will want him to play as many teams off of each other as possible..You can't possibly be this naive and believe that, can you? You obviously have zero idea how negotiations work, particularly with a Boras client.

Thanks for proving my point..Its all about the money.

And 8/160 is hardly a low ball offer...That would be a dumb contract.

And he won't want Boras to negotiate with just us..He will want him to play as many teams off of each other as possible..You can't possibly be this naive and believe that, can you? You obviously have zero idea how negotiations work, particularly with a Boras client.

I realize he'll want top dollar, but if we were to offer a 6/150 contract in the first 15 days of FA if he didn't extend, I doubt anybody would beat that. He can shop that around all he wants but at the end of the day he winds up in Baltimore most likely if that is our offer.

Now if San Francisco traded for him and they offer something like 6/132 and they are contenders, our 6/150 offer in FA may not look as good.

But if they try to steal him from us for 6/132 , I doubt he'd take that and he'd take the money with Baltimore instead.

I realize he'll want top dollar, but if we were to offer a 6/150 contract in the first 15 days of FA if he didn't extend, I doubt anybody would beat that. He can shop that around all he wants but at the end of the day he winds up in Baltimore most likely if that is our offer.

Now if San Francisco traded for him and they offer something like 6/132 and they are contenders, our 6/150 offer in FA may not look as good.

But if they try to steal him from us for 6/132 , I doubt he'd take that and he'd take the money with Baltimore instead.

He isn't going to get all the way to the final 15 days and not test the market...There is zero chance of that happening unless you offer him the dumbest contract ever given out in the sport.

So, its going to go to FA....And since it will, we are better off waiting one more year. Your theory of having ties to BMore if we get him first is just wrong...its not going to matter...Money is the only thing that will matter.

He isn't going to get all the way to the final 15 days and not test the market...There is zero chance of that happening unless you offer him the dumbest contract ever given out in the sport.

So, its going to go to FA....And since it will, we are better off waiting one more year. Your theory of having ties to BMore if we get him first is just wrong...its not going to matter...Money is the only thing that will matter.

If the offers are close I think it would matter.

Obviously if some team blows him away it doesn't matter. But I doubt you are going to see that.

If the offers are close I think it would matter.

Obviously if some team blows him away it doesn't matter. But I doubt you are going to see that.

If the offers are close, he will probably go to the team where he can win or at least win quicker.

He may choose the Orioles because of OPACY over say a team like Seattle(Seattle doesn't need him because of Smoak..just using them as an example because of their park).

And btw, you don't give up 3-5 good young players for the idea of "if the offers are close, I THINK it would matter". Giving up that kind of talent for "I thinks", "might" and "maybe" just isn't a smart thing to do.

This post was in direct response to what you wrote and you ignored it, just like I said you would. Just like you always do when one of your theories is refuted in such a way that you can't even make up some of your gobbledygook to "respond" to it.

The list of folks that you consistently frustrate is a who's who of intelligent posters on this board. In just the last three days, I count Hank, 1970, Frobby, DH, Mad Mark, and Paul getting so frustrated with your antics in various threads that they went to the trouble to post as much in a response. I don't know why I even started reading what you write again. I'm out. I've got better things to do with my time than talk with a wall. Lesson learned AGAIN.

Walls are for holding ceilings up and hanging things on. You don't talk to them. You talk to plants. I thought we'd gone over this already.

If the offers are close, he will probably go to the team where he can win or at least win quicker.

He may choose the Orioles because of OPACY over say a team like Seattle(Seattle doesn't need him because of Smoak..just using them as an example because of their park).

And btw, you don't give up 3-5 good young players for the idea of "if the offers are close, I THINK it would matter". Giving up that kind of talent for "I thinks", "might" and "maybe" just isn't a smart thing to do.

Well this whole argument pertains to Fielder.

For AGon, I think you can extend him, again if the offer is right and as I've said, if available he is my preferred choice. I think obtaining Fielder is more realistic, but AGon is the #1 trade target IMO, with either Werth or Beltre in FA as the #1 target there...

Well this whole argument pertains to Fielder.

For AGon, I think you can extend him, again if the offer is right and as I've said, if available he is my preferred choice. I think obtaining Fielder is more realistic, but AGon is the #1 trade target IMO, with either Werth or Beltre in FA as the #1 target there...

AGon shouldn't be #1...The problem with AGon is that you will have more teams going after him than Fielder and to get him, you are going to have to likely outbid Boston and I am not sure we can or should do that.

Trading 3-5 players and handing out a contract bigger than what Tex got isn't a smart thing for a 60 win club. There is just no logic behind that.

Archived