O's offer Tejada to Angels for 3 prospects

Bigbie03

HAHAHA.:)

Oh man Bigbird, you slay me, buddy.

So much for my plans for tonight!

Hey, instead of going out to the bars, anyone wanna come over to my crib, drink some beers and hit "refresh" on this thread all night?;)

Sounds like a good night to me: watch Bedard duel against Freddy Garcia and watch the FO go to work. I definitely wouldn't mind not seeing Tejada in the lineup tonight. :D

BTW, I think the best deal for us now is Wood, Aybar and Saunders. Bring Aybar up to replace Miggy and promote Wood to AAA. We need another pitcher lately with Ramon Ortiz sucking lately, Benson injured and waiting on Penn so let's get Saunders and see what he does. He looked good in his first outing for the big club out in Anaheim.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/28/friday/index.html

Jon Heyman of CNNSI.com has this to say in the above write-up:

It could be getting interesting. Conventional wisdom suggests that the slow-moving Orioles and Angles would have trouble consumating a deal as quickly as the swap between the Rangers and Brewers involving Carlos Lee unfolded. But perhaps mutual incentive has arrived and it is enough to get a fire lit beneath their collective behinds.

Looking forward to Bigbird's information.

Well, we can look at this two ways:

1.) The Angels were waiting for Carlos Lee to "set the market" for trade-deadline sluggers. Now they can go after Tejada saying well, look at what MIL got for Lee! No way we're giving you top prospects!

2.) The O's (give 'em credit) have already set the bar pretty high with the rejected offer of Santana, Kendrick and Shields. Plus, Tejada's better than Lee and is signed for another three years. Ask for Wood, Adenhart and Aybar and just say, "How badly do you want to win this year? TEX just gave up actual ML players for Lee; you're not giving up anyone who will contribute this year, and you're getting maybe the best offensive SS in baseball, even if you'd want him to move to 3B. Take it or leave it."

Obviously, I look at it the second way. :) But I am very heartened by the fact that we asked for what we did the first time, and we weren't laughed out of the room. The second proposal is pretty much an identical deal in terms of talent, except that it's a bit younger.

Am I the only person here that thinks we should aim for Wood, or another positional prospect, instead of Santana?

I know he's a great pitcher already, but I think our over abundance of minor league arms-- and lack of positional prospects --means we should go after two bats.

I'm fine asking for someone else other than Santana to get a deal done. However while we've made progress we're hardly at a spot where we have an "overabundance" of young pitching.

Eventhough there's a good chance a lot of these "pitching prospects" don't turn out as good as Santana is right now, I feel we have enough arms to put together a very good 5-man rotation in a year or two.

Even if we were to get Santana, how do we fill that gaping hole in the offense? As many on here have guessed, it might be tough to lure a free agent here if a Tejada trade goes down.

Wood and Kendrick would likely improve our offense in the future and give us a more well-rounded team.

Young pitching is much more valuable than offense. If all our guys develop you can always spin one off for offense.

Why would doing what it takes to become a winner make it tougher to lure a FA here if Tejada is traded?

Am I the only person here that thinks we should aim for Wood, or another positional prospect, instead of Santana?

I know he's a great pitcher already, but I think our over abundance of minor league arms-- and lack of positional prospects --means we should go after two bats.

Eventhough there's a good chance a lot of these "pitching prospects" don't turn out as good as Santana is right now, I feel we have enough arms to put together a very good 5-man rotation in a year or two.

Even if we were to get Santana, how do we fill that gaping hole in the offense? As many on here have guessed, it might be tough to lure a free agent here if a Tejada trade goes down.

Wood and Kendrick would likely improve our offense in the future and give us a more well-rounded team.

You think we have an "abundance" of minor league arms?

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

You can NEVER have enough pitching. Most pitching prospects never turn out, so having a ton is a good thing.

Plus, Santana is far from a prospect. He's an established pitcher in the league. Something we DON'T have much of.

Why would doing what it takes to become a winner make it tougher to lure a FA here if Tejada is traded?

I think this move would signal a rebuilding period and prove to free agents that we're several years away from winning.

What some people were guessing is that players will see what happened with Tejada-- he signed with promises of team improvement that never happened --and was traded away. Free agents might be worried they'll have a similar fate. I guess we'd really have to overpay, which isn't anything new.

As not only the self-appointed president of the Ervin Santana fan-club, but also a client, i could tell you right now, he is definitely the guy we should be aiming for.

Outside of Liriano, is there a pitcher under the age of 25 better than this guy right now?

To have him, Bedard, and Benson go into a 3 game series makes me rest very easy at night.

No way we should pass up the chance to take this guy, he is the real deal

I would be elated to get that return, but I don't think Stoneman is in any hurry to deplete his starting rotation.
Yeah, I can't emphasize this enough: I will be absolutely floored if they actually give us Santana. That would just make zero sense for them.

As not only the self-appointed president of the Ervin Santana fan-club, but also a client, i could tell you right now, he is definitely the guy we should be aiming for.

Outside of Liriano, is there a pitcher under the age of 25 better than this guy right now?

To have him, Bedard, and Benson go into a 3 game series makes me rest very easy at night.

Who says we have a chance?

Winds have shifted big time.....will post later

Dear lord, I am leaving work at 530 and will be away from a computer until Sunday afternoon!!!!!!!

I'm going crazy!!!

P.S.- Kendrick, Aybar, Adenhart (Crossing the fingers all weekend for this)

Exactly, Santana has to be the center-piece for this trade to go down. We desperately need pitching.

Who says we have a chance?

No one, but the person I quoted said he would rather us try to take Wood, and another positional prospect, instead of Santana, if we had a choice.

I also said in another thread that i dont think we will get Santana, and I was hoping to hear good things about Adenhart, but I think it got looked over.

Archived