Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want LaRoche for any more than about 2/16, but I guess that would be an acceptable deal. He's pretty much the definition of a league-average player. His 114 OPS+ is average at first, his glove is average (a little below by TZ, about average by UZR, the fans have him dead-on average)).

I guess you could say he's about 2, 2.5 wins better than the Atkins/Wigginton/Hughes comedy troupe. Probably comparable in value to Luke Scott, just avoiding the whole "learning to play first base" mess.

Might be a 2 year deal and an option. 2/19 and a buyout,perhaps? This is probably not going to happen today.

How many more runs can we expect with LaRoche and Reynolds at the corners versus last year's production?

If Reynolds and LaRoche play to there 3 year average in 2011, we would see the following improvements in OPS and WAR. I'm not sure how to translate that to runs.

LaRoche

1B (New Player - O's) = Potential Improvement

OPS: 824 - 680 = 144

WAR: 2.13 - (-1.1) = 3.23

Reynolds

3B

OPS: 808 - 646 = 162

WAR: 2.47 - 0.0 = 2.47

I'm actually willing to go 3 years with LaRoche if the dollars stay low enough that we have no issue signing a big 1B should the opportunity present itself. He isn't great, but I'll take a consistent 1B at this point.

LaRoche would be fine with me as a 1B target. He has an .827 career OPS, 114 OPS+, consistently hits 25-30 HR with 35-40 doubles and has decent (not great) plate patience. He's also a solid fielder.

It is kind of interesting to be taking both corner IF from a team that one fewer games then we did, but I digress...

Bartlett is a better option than Izturis. I'm not sure where that 2009 season came from, but even at a decent expectation of around .700, he's a significantly better offensive option. Can we get him without giving up a bullpen arm?

These moves would improve the offense from last year. Hopefully we don't hurt the pitching staff too much in the process. Would really like to see us keep our 4 starters.

With LaRoche and Reynolds both striking out a ton in Arizona, is it possible the hitting coach is to blame a little?

Well, his K rate has been going up the last 3 years. His contact rate has also been going down.

In 2010, he swung at more pitching outside of the zone than any point in his career.

So, I am not sure you can blame their hitting coach, since LaRoche has seen a decline in these areas on other teams.

Now, that being said, his decline did get worse in Zona, so there is possibly something the team was asking from him that made him be worse in these areas...but the decline was already happening.

Well, his K rate has been going up the last 3 years. His contact rate has also been going down.

In 2010, he swung at more pitching outside of the zone than any point in his career.

So, I am not sure you can blame their hitting coach, since LaRoche has seen a decline in these areas on other teams.

Now, that being said, his decline did get worse in Zona, so there is possibly something the team was asking from him that made him be worse in these areas...but the decline was already happening.

I am going to ask a dumb question:laughlol: How much better is Werth then LaRoche?

And Mark will have a buddy on the team. :D

I could see us going after LaRoche but, we would be getting a little LH happy IMO.

We could work around it. If Adam Jones has grown enough he could slide into the middle of the lineup in the 3 slot and make it alot more even.

Archived