Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

LaRoche was always a good option, but not the best.

Now that it appears we have reached our third option, LaRoche is still a solid pick up.

Bottom line is, if/ when we sign LaRoche we will have upgraded the defense and offense at the corners nicely.

What is the difference between LaRoche at 1B and Scott at DH vs. Scott at 1B and somebody like Vlad or Thome at DH?

Remember LaRoche only put up a .788 OPS last year. He also K'd 172 times last season as opposed to only 48 BBs.

He'd be another Aubrey Huff IMO but with no promise of Huff's 2008 season.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the difference between LaRoche at 1B and Scott at DH vs. Scott at 1B and somebody like Vlad or Thome at DH?

Remember LaRoche only put up a .788 OPS last year.

Well, that's not true...I mean, Huff had no promise of his 2008 season..LaRoche has had a 900 OPS before.

That being said, i don't really disagree with you here..The difference being you know LaRoche can play a capable first base and its up in the air if Scott can because the Orioles have been morons with how they have handled him playing first over the last 2 years.

Personally, I think Scott would be worth the same as LaRoche at first.

But, there is zero chance Vlad or Thome come here, so bringing their names up is meaningless.

What the Orioles should be doing is looking into Blanks or someone like that.

You have a young first baseman in here and you can play Scott and Reimold there, along with DH.

You then look to upgrade LF if possible.

The Orioles should be looking into guys like Gordon as well.

But it sounds to me that the Orioles will just try to go with the safe and easy move...IE, just sign LaRoche, take the production that you know should be there and go from there.

One thing we need to remember is that his stats were worse last year but it was also the year of the pitcher, so a lot of players saw their stats dip down.

Did anyone else here the Nats are going hard after Cliff Lee, May offer him insane money and years?

Why yes, I actually put up a thread about it in the MLB section a little bit ago :cool: <--- My best impression of an NST pat on the back haha.

I don't think Lee will affect attendance too much and it will help us greatly if he is not in the AL East.

Well, that's not true...I mean, Huff had no promise of his 2008 season..LaRoche has had a 900 OPS before.

That being said, i don't really disagree with you here..The difference being you know LaRoche can play a capable first and its up in the air of Scott can because the Orioles have been morons with how they have handled him playing first over the last 2 years.

Personally, I think Scott would be worth the same as LaRoche at first.

But, there is zero chance Vlad or Thome come here, so bringing their names up is meaningless.

What the Orioles should be doing is looking into Blanks or someone like that.

You have a young first baseman in here and you can play Scott and Reimold there, along with DH.

You then look to upgrade LF if possible.

The Orioles should be looking into guys like Gordon as well.

But it sounds to me that the Orioles will just try to go with the safe and easy move...IE, just sign LaRoche, take the production that you know should be there and go from there.

One thing we need to remember is that his stats were worse last year but it was also the year of the pitcher, so a lot of players saw their stats dip down.

I think the O's first choice is still Konerko. But I don't think that is going to happen . But who knows?

I'm sure they are offering the 7 year offer we've heard about.

The Nats are going to have our 1995-1996 offseason it seems.

The O's are going to have to watch out because the Nats could steal a bunch more fans next season.

So, are they also going to have our little 1998-present down period, too? Because that offseason is directly linked to the downfall of the franchise.

Remember LaRoche only put up a .788 OPS last year. He also K'd 172 times last season as opposed to only 48 BBs.

I really have no problem with Luke at 1B. But LaRoche isn't a bad pickup either.

So long as he is cheap enough to replace without thinking twice about the lost money owed to him.

I just don't see a deal with us and DC that makes sense for him.

Per our friend,Ken Rosenthal:

The A's are also in on Josh Willingham and Derrek Lee, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, but the Nationals' asking price for Willingham is said to be absurd. Rosenthal feels that the A's could offer Lee more than the Padres or Diamondbacks.

Prices come down

Per our friend,Ken Rosenthal:

The A's are also in on Josh Willingham and Derrek Lee, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, but the Nationals' asking price for Willingham is said to be absurd. Rosenthal feels that the A's could offer Lee more than the Padres or Diamondbacks.

Prices come down

No doubt but there isn't a logical trade there if they want pitching.

Hopefully it doesn't happen..They are going to have to give him a stupid contract if they sign him.

from the Chicago Sun times twitter:

cst_sox:

Could be a snag in Konerko talks. Source said that so far Konerko's camp is adamant about $15 m per. That would crush the payroll for relief

$15 million per is way too much.

Take LaRoche.

I like the idea of Scott at first but here is a question. Scott was far less streaky last year, could he have settled into the DH role? Could this have had an impact on his lack of streakyness?

Nothing angers me more than this.

The Nats really haven't gotten any "better" with the Werth deal. They switched out Dunn for Werth, lost homers in the process and got an OF guy that, without the protection of Rollins and Howard, will probably have some troubles. Moreover, Nats park is much more a pitchers park than Citizen's Bank.

The Nats are in their best NY Mets mode. A lot of money for free agents who are going to haunt them. However if they can get Cliff Lee and Strasburg in the same rotation, look out.

LaRoche is a safe move...a lot like Aubrey Huff IMO. I don't want Bartlett unless it's for spare parts, ie, not Reimold.

Archived