How do you view Wieters now?

Sports Guy

How do you view Wieters as an offensive player now?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view Wieters as an offensive player now?

• I still feel he will be a franchise, 900ish OPS catcher
    • I felt he would be a franchise player but now I think he will just be an occassional AS
    • I felt he was going to be a franchise player but now he will just be an average player..at best
    • I felt he was going to be average but now I think he will be a superstar

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Wieters will turn out to be a very good hitting catcher, but I'm not as optimistic about his ceiling as I was when he was called up.

I'd put it this way: I think he'll probably be a very good player, occasional all-star, with a couple great years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into that .900, Mauer-esque hitter that we initially expected. I would be surprised, however, to see him completely stall and remain a league average or below catcher, offensively.

I bought into the hype and thought he was going to be our clean-up guy, but I still think he can be a good 5 hitter. He's still going to be a franchise cornerstone thanks to his defense, even if his bat doesn't improve much.

When he makes contact, good things happen. Thus you have to at least view him as an occasional All-Star. He has a natural level of power that can't be taught.

Now, for him to make consistent, good contact ... that's the issue. It takes so much time an effort to get that big frame going, that inevitably crafty pitchers can find ways to take advantage of him. But when he lays into a pitch, he hits it hard as heck.

I am still worried about his tendency to go to the opposite field with his power. Normally this would be thought of as a good thing but I am still not convinced that his biggest problem is the heater. And if he really does have major issues catching up with the fastball then he wont be much more than an average catcher.

His fielding and his arm really impressed me last year.

Archived