How do you view Wieters now?

Sports Guy

How do you view Wieters as an offensive player now?  

244 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view Wieters as an offensive player now?

• I still feel he will be a franchise, 900ish OPS catcher
    • I felt he would be a franchise player but now I think he will just be an occassional AS
    • I felt he was going to be a franchise player but now he will just be an average player..at best
    • I felt he was going to be average but now I think he will be a superstar

It seems to me that the O's have made catching their first priority with Wieters. They are building around pitching, and a strong defensive catcher is a must. Wieters as a SH needs twice as much time to work on his swing. He simply hasn't focused on it as much as he needs to, because learning the pitchers and the hitters in the league have taken a lot of his time. Hopefully this season, he can focus more on his bat.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that the O's have made catching their first priority with Wieters. They are building around pitching, and a strong defensive catcher is a must. Wieters as a SH needs twice as much time to work on his swing. He simply hasn't focused on it as much as he needs to, because learning the pitchers and the hitters in the league have taken a lot of his time. Hopefully this season, he can focus more on his bat.

Well, maybe he needs to give up switch hitting? He has been awful vs lefties thus far in his career..albeit in only 250ish at bats.

Well, maybe he needs to give up switch hitting? He has been awful vs lefties thus far in his career..albeit in only 250ish at bats.

This is an overreaction, I think. I can't see scrapping switch hitting after 900 PA.

I think he can take a nice step forward this year -- .285/.355/.465 -- and take off from there. The kid can hit. Last year he commanded the strikezone a little better and I think the power is going to jump as he learns which pitches he can drive.

I am expecting Wieters to catch the amount of games that an elite catcher catches when healthy.

Well, that's fine, but I have to agree with WC that to me he looked very tired at times last year. Every player is different and has strengths and weaknesses. It may just be that at 6'5" and 230 lbs., Wieters can't catch 130 games without getting sluggish. So, I'd forget arguments about other catchers, and just keep an eye on Wieters and give him a blow when it's needed. I have complete confidence in Buck Showalter's capacity to observe what's going on and make decisions accordingly.

Well, that's fine, but I have to agree with WC that to me he looked very tired at times last year. Every player is different and has strengths and weaknesses. It may just be that at 6'5" and 230 lbs., Wieters can't catch 130 games without getting sluggish. So, I'd forget arguments about other catchers, and just keep an eye on Wieters and give him a blow when it's needed. I have complete confidence in Buck Showalter's capacity to observe what's going on and make decisions accordingly.
If Wieters needs to sit 50 games a year, trade him right now because he is never going to be that good.

There is zero reason he shouldn't be catching 125-135 games a year if he is healthy.

If Wieters needs to sit 50 games a year, trade him right now because he is never going to be that good.

There is zero reason he shouldn't be catching 125-135 games a year if he is healthy.

And while you are at it trade Mauer too. He has started over 110 games in two years. :rolleyes:

To me if Wieters should get less then 120 games at catcher to stay strong that is the time when the back up catcher becomes more important. 40 games is maybe 160 at bats. It also easier to sit or DH Wieters if there is a good back up catcher.

Maybe if he catches 135 games this year I will stop referring to it. That should be incentive for him.

Well, he probably will if he stays healthy because the Twins actually have an understanding of how to use their players...Just as Buck showed he did with the way he handled Wieters last year.

Archived