Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Realistically the only possible trades would be Kemp, Upton, Gutierrez, or Span. Nobody in their right mind is is giving up, Rasmus, Granderson, Jackson, or McCutcheon, for Jones and we wouldn't want Rios for him.

Considering age, salary, performance, and platoon splits, there's no way I'd trade Jones for Granderson.

You forgot..NONE OF THE ABOVE!:)

Cindy, you do realize that after we trade for a player, that player becomes an Oriole as well, right? :D

Re: my actual vote, I went Rasmus and McCutchen. I'd trade him for Kemp as well but I think they're actually the same player.

Gutierrez will probably never be a +30 defender, either. He's been a +30, +20, and +7 in '09, '08, and '10. You might be able to pencil him in as a +15, which is excellent, but that's barely making up for his offensive shortcomings and age difference compared to Jones.

All true, which is why I wouldn't swap Jones for him.

And Upton had never done that before he did it there.

One or two incidents does not a player make.

I think its close as to which player is preferable. I haven't really looked at the stats to know yet.

That's actually not true.

Upton had a play (before this play in the link) where he jogged into second base and got thrown out.

He also had another play similar to the one in the link against us, but the one above got more pub because Longo called him on it.

I'm not saying he's a terrible guy but this was not the first time he's done something like this.

I'd also trade Jones for Gardner. Gardner is way, way underrated.

Really?

Brett Gardner in his 3 yr AL career:

.268/.358/.367/.726 in 852 AB.

Felix Pie in his 2 yr AL career:

.270/.315/.424/.739 in 540 AB.

I grant you that Gardner's OBP is very attractive, and Felix's is something of an achilles for him. Gardner is also a very good baserunner and Felix only shows flashes.

(But) they are both very good fielders wasted in LF. Gardner has positively anemic power. By comparison to his .367, Cesar Izturis has a .323 lifetime SLG. Gardner would be respectable in CF, but in LF he is not adequate. For the record, I maintain the same thing about Felix. He can not provide his full value to us in LF, simply because fielding in LF is less important than fielding in CF, and fielding is what both of these guys do best.

So in what sense is Gardner way underrated?

The very comparison to Pie underrates Gardner. He slugged .379 last season - gross! Oh, and he put up 5.4 WAR. Pie would have to take a trip down to the crossroads to have a 5.4 WAR season once in his career.

Aren't you the least bit skeptical about Gardner's ability to play at his 2010 level going forward? I see about half a dozen red (ok, at least yellow) flags on his resume:

1) His .383 OBP was about 60 points higher than his OBP his previous two years, and pretty much matched his minor league OBP.

2) In bb-ref WAR he was only 4.0, because their fielding system (and the fan's scouting report, and +/- by the way) thought his fielding was only +12 or +14 instead of +22. Almost no one is +22 consistently.

3) He stole 47 bases with 9 caught, which is his best base stealing runs of his entire major or minor league career.

4) His BABIP was .340, while it was about .305 previously in the majors.

5) He's 27 this year.

6) Randy Winn is by far the best player on his bb-ref comps through age 26.

Don't take this as me saying Gardner is a bad player, not by a long stretch. I'm just saying that it's pretty unlikely he's a 5+ win player going forward, he's probably more like a 2-4 win player for the next few years. Which means Adam Jones has a good chance of matching that or moving ahead. And it's plausible that Pie is in that neighborhood, too.

Archived