Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones has a 2.0 WAR right now in my book.  

I don’t care that he has taken some bad routes early on. He also starts out every year going oppo and then slowly reverts back. We always get the “what if” early on. 

The guy is a winner. He has that “it” factor. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t care that he has taken some bad routes early on. He also starts out every year going oppo and then slowly reverts back. We always get the “what if” early on. 

And he's worked overtime to develop it when it wasn't so clear in the beginning.

To his complete credit IMO.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

I seem to recall AJ starting other seasons like this, being more patient and hitting the ball the other way... and then stopping.  It would be awesome if he can continue with this approach.

I was about to post something similar.  He always starts off hot, going the other way, laying off the sliders he loves to chase.  Eventually, he can't control himself and reverts back.  Then partway through the season he'll make another effort to stop chasing and go the other way.  Just can't control himself on the low and outside breaking balls for the entire time.

If it makes sense financially, I'd love to see him back next year in RF, too.  Hard to believe he's been here as long as he has.  

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That's...... not how it works. We don't win if Cashner doesn't pitch very well, we don't win if Bundy doesn't pitch very well, we don't win if Gentry doesn't rob a homer etc...

7 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

That's...... not how it works. We don't win if Cashner doesn't pitch very well, we don't win if Bundy doesn't pitch very well, we don't win if Gentry doesn't rob a homer etc...

We also don't win if Buck brings in Rule 5 pitchers in high leverage situations and bats Chris Davis leadoff...

Not clear on your point here.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was about to post something similar.  He always starts off hot, going the other way, laying off the sliders he loves to chase.  Eventually, he can't control himself and reverts back.  Then partway through the season he'll make another effort to stop chasing and go the other way.  Just can't control himself on the low and outside breaking balls for the entire time.

If it makes sense financially, I'd love to see him back next year in RF, too.  Hard to believe he's been here as long as he has.  

I remember times where he has been more disciplined and taken more walks. I cannot remember him intentionally going the other way anything like at Houston.  Not saying it hasn’t happened., but I would have thought I would have noticed it in the past since it is a pet peeve of mine.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I remember times where he has been more disciplined and taken more walks. I cannot remember him intentionally going the other way anything like at Houston.  Not saying it hasn’t happened., but I would have thought I would have noticed it in the past since it is a pet peeve of mine.  

Career .290 BA in April. The highest of any month for him. With a .815 OPS, 2nd highest. 

Another reason to love Jones, he comes out the gate raking.  I just hope for one season he goes oppo all year. Contract years are perfect for that. 

He is the face of the franchise. He is the veteran leader of the team. He also needs to have a few more days off this year. He also should not be retained to play CF next season. He is not chasing those down and away pitches right now. Beautiful to watch, but will it continue? Will he play a corner OF position next season? Will his payroll demands be in our wheelhouse?

“Baseball is flipping a coin,” Jones said. “I don’t really know. I’m just trying to do my thing, I guess. I don’t have that answer. I wish I did, but I don’t. That’ll make me start thinking, and I’m not trying to think.”

10 hours ago, baltfan said:

Not only has he had some clutch hits, but for the first time I can ever remember he has hit the ball consistently the other way. 

I think he’s hit the ball the other way in spurts throughout his career.    Basically, show me a stretch of 10 games where Jones was hitting .300, and I’ll show you a stretch where he was hitting to the opposite field.   In his career, he’s hit to the opposite field 24.6% of the time.    But it goes in streaks, and there are long periods where he gets pull happy.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He also starts out every year going oppo and then slowly reverts back.

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

He always starts off hot, going the other way, laying off the sliders he loves to chase.  Eventually, he can't control himself and reverts back.  Then partway through the season he'll make another effort to stop chasing and go the other way.  Just can't control himself on the low and outside breaking balls for the entire time.

RTTM 

8 hours ago, amdcpus said:

That’s not true. If you want to play what if’s, if Cashner or Bundy don’t pitch well but the hitting is better we do win.

I also don’t see your point.

Archived