Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When were Griffey Jr. and Derek Lee teammates?

When were Tori Hunter and Derek Lee teammates?

I'm sure Derek Lee is a great teammate but do these guys have any firsthand knowledge?

Not sure firsthand, but I'm sure that they have played with guys who are consistently telling them the same thing about Lee.

It's one of these "When I was in Cincinnati I played with a guy who knew a guy who played SS when Lee was at first" type of deals. You really can't read an article or hear another player talk about Derek Lee without mentioning "Great Teammate," so that's a positive but so was Millar.

Which CF's? Just any in MLB? I'm not getting Josh Hamilton for him, so I'll say Austin Jackson. They both have a .333 wOBA and Jackson is a much better defender. Don't think Detroit would agree to it though. I'd take Guteirrez, Gardner, Cody Ross, Kemp or Bourne as well.:laughlol:

....Im hoping because of the laugh youre joking?

Gutierrez is a scrub. Cody Ross is a scrub too, he just happens to be a streaky scrub who happened to get hot in the playoffs... Gardner is pretty mediocre. Bourne is fast, but has a sub-.700 OPS... Kemp is the ONLY one of those guys I would take

....Im hoping because of the laugh youre joking?

Gutierrez is a scrub. Cody Ross is a scrub too, he just happens to be a streaky scrub who happened to get hot in the playoffs... Gardner is pretty mediocre. Bourne is fast, but has a sub-.700 OPS... Kemp is the ONLY one of those guys I would take

Either you're joking or this is a stupid post. Look at their numbers last year and compare them to Jones'. There's a big difference in defense with all of them. And a CF who is - in RS isn't much help, unless his bat is very special. Jones ' bat isn't much better than some of these guys and is worse than others. His one plus is power, but until I start seeing 25+ HR and at least league average defense from him, I'm not buyihg the hype.

Aren't you the least bit skeptical about Gardner's ability to play at his 2010 level going forward? I see about half a dozen red (ok, at least yellow) flags on his resume:

1) His .383 OBP was about 60 points higher than his OBP his previous two years, and pretty much matched his minor league OBP.

2) In bb-ref WAR he was only 4.0, because their fielding system (and the fan's scouting report, and +/- by the way) thought his fielding was only +12 or +14 instead of +22. Almost no one is +22 consistently.

3) He stole 47 bases with 9 caught, which is his best base stealing runs of his entire major or minor league career.

4) His BABIP was .340, while it was about .305 previously in the majors.

5) He's 27 this year.

6) Randy Winn is by far the best player on his bb-ref comps through age 26.

Don't take this as me saying Gardner is a bad player, not by a long stretch. I'm just saying that it's pretty unlikely he's a 5+ win player going forward, he's probably more like a 2-4 win player for the next few years. Which means Adam Jones has a good chance of matching that or moving ahead. And it's plausible that Pie is in that neighborhood, too.

Well, I sure don't think Gardner is a 5.4 (f)WAR player going forward. But I do think he is the better player, and I also think Jones (or Pie) would be incredibly lucky to match Gardner's 2010.

My only vote went to Rasmus. I freely admit that I don't know nearly enough about most of the National League guys to make a good judgment. I considered Kemp, just not sure if he has the work ethic to ever get the most out of his talent and I'm not sure that he's really a centerfielder for much longer. I'd take BJ's brother, but wouldn't let him near my team.

I was looking for "None of the Above" but it wasn't an option. As good as some of those guys are right now, in the next couple of years I think Jones will prove to be better than any of them. And right now, he's (I think) cheaper than most of them, too. So, I'll go along with Frankie Valli:

Let's hang on to what we've got

Don't let go, we've got a lot

Got a lot of love between us

Hang on, hang on, hang on

To what we've got

As you kind of implied, I think Gardner would have to be incredibly lucky to match Gardner's 2010.

The main thing Gardner did last year, besides play good defense was put up a .389 OBP, thereby giving him the opportunity to steal 47 bases. He did this primarily by getting 79 BB's. How was this lucky? I sure wish Jones could get that lucky.

The main thing Gardner did last year, besides play good defense was put up a .389 OBP, thereby giving him the opportunity to steal 47 bases. He did this primarily by getting 79 BB's. How was this lucky? I sure wish Jones could get that lucky.

Agreed, which is why I think last year was his career year. I think he was exposed during the playoffs last year when I think the only hits he managed in the post season were 2 infield hits, beating out two weakly tapped grounders. He has no bat, and no self-respecting ML pitcher is afraid of him.

In 569 PA last year he had 32 XBH for a total of 49 extra bases. Pitchers are not going to walk him any more, and he can't hit enough to break even.

As you kind of implied, I think Gardner would have to be incredibly lucky to match Gardner's 2010.

But having done it once speaks very favorably of his true talent. I mean, 5.4 WAR is improbable for most good players. That doesn't mean that all such players are comparably valuable.

Archived