Per Olney tweet, look for resolution in 48 hours

ChaosLex

No I don't. But I do know the Orioles are not being aggressive in pursuing him.

And if it takes $1-2 million more that would just likely wind up in Peter Angelos' money bin anyway, then give him the money and get the player.

I have no doubt that if MacPhail wants Vlad, Angelos will give him the money he needs to sign him.

Ok Trea, lets turn the tide. If its ONLY an extra million or two, then why is Vlad being so hard headed? Why doesn't he just take the 5 mil? Its just another million that will sit in his money bin. Vlad is so tight it's pathetic. :rolleyes:

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I don't. But I do know the Orioles are not being aggressive in pursuing him.And if it takes $1-2 million more that would just likely wind up in Peter Angelos' money bin anyway, then give him the money and get the player.

I have no doubt that if MacPhail wants Vlad, Angelos will give him the money he needs to sign him.

Why should the O's be aggressive i persuing someone they don't feel they really need? You obviously feel we do really need him. I don't understand why you think the 2 extra wins he might provide is so important.

For the final time, we have the ONLY known deal on the table. There is ZERO reason to up the offer. NONE! If he wants to play baseball he'll take our deal.

In principal, I agree 100% with you. But, remember you are dealing with athletes.....athletes like to win, it may not have to be much....but the feeling of winning has some merit. He bluffed that there was an $8 million dollar offer on the table, he lost. If the O's truly think he is important, ante up, incentivize a litttle.

Last year when a few of the OH'ers suggested the O's sign Vlad, most said no..he was done...after a good year in Texas, it appears most OH'ers want this done. I'm clearly sitting on the fence, but if AM insists on buying the bats this is low risk compared to Atkins last year.

Ok Trea, lets turn the tide. If its ONLY an extra million or two, then why is Vlad being so hard headed? Why doesn't he just take the 5 mil? Its just another million that will sit in his money bin. Vlad is so tight it's pathetic. :rolleyes:
I think it's his "ego" getting in the way.:rofl:

Good point.

According to baseball-reference.com, Vlad has made $117.9 million in his career.

So what's the difference in getting an extra million or two?

I kind of enjoy this debate. If we didnt have the Vlad issue to yell about what would we be discussing?

For my 2 cents I think we can do without Vlad but if he falls to us then lets take him.

I can see us unloading a lot of these guys at the trade deadline to pick up prospects. We have a real nice amount of 1 year guys.

How are the O's lowballing him whenever no one else has made him an offer?

There's no reason at all for them to bid against themselves.

Do we know for sure that no other team has made an offer of any kind? I find that hard to believe. You could have a situation such as:

LAA are offering $3 million for one year with limited ABs.

BAL is offering $4.5 million for one year, with 600 ABs.

In this case the Orioles have the best deal on the table, numbers-wise. But Vlad's natural inclination is to play for LA, so he might still be leaning toward that deal. However, if the O's were to increase their offer to include another $3 million in incentives or something, that could sway him.

So in that case, you would not be bidding against yourself, per se. You'd still be bidding against another team. But by "bidding" you're talking about the total package - money, environment, chance to win a pennant, number of ABs, etc.

Anyway... this whole point could be moot as I have no idea if any other team has made him an offer of any sort.

I kind of enjoy this debate. If we didnt have the Vlad issue to yell about what would we be discussing?

For my 2 cents I think we can do without Vlad but if he falls to us then lets take him.

I can see us unloading a lot of these guys at the trade deadline to pick up prospects. We have a real nice amount of 1 year guys.

I am missing the trade BRob threads.:rolleyes:

Do you want the player or do you want to see a "win" by MacPhail? Which is more important?

I want a GM who sets priorities, gets them done and is always looking out for undervalued commodities.

If you want me to be critical of AM, I'd be happy to be. For example, I really don't think VMart should have been our #1 priority this offseason.

However, I do like that he got Lee, Reynolds, Hardy and Duke. You can't look at this stuff in a vacuum.

I want a GM who sets priorities, gets them done and is always looking out for undervalued commodities.

If you want me to be critical of AM, I'd be happy to be. For example, I really don't think VMart should have been our #1 priority this offseason.

However, I do like that he got Lee, Reynolds, Hardy and Duke. You can't look at this stuff in a vacuum.

Very True.

I, for instance, would like to get Vlad for a reasonable deal, and have the extra 2 million to give to Bengie Molina for a backup catcher roll.

Archived