Per Olney tweet, look for resolution in 48 hours

ChaosLex

Here's a scenario for you...

You work a contract job for 1 year; say the pay is 80,000 for the year. Your performance review was great; spectacular even. However when your contract was up, the company you worked for could not for one reason or another renew your contract, so you go searching for another job in the same field. Your only offer is for 45,000. Do you take it or leave it?

Depends on what I did with that $80,000 and what I made in years previous.

In Vlad's case he already made tens of millions, so why would he need another $4.5, especially from a last place team?

Like it or not Vlad is an entertainer who has an ego who wants to be justly compensated. If you want him to play for your team, you've got to show it.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually it was a $7.4 million dollar deal as he got an extra $1 million with them not picking up the option and could have recieved up to $0.9 million more based on being on the roster for so many days which he likely got.

And Vlad was worth $10.3 million last year with his performance according to Fangraphs.

So considering he performed as a $10 million dollar player would have, $4.5 million is a lowball offer as he more than earned that $7.4 million he got from Texas.

Per that same FanGraphs, Thome's production was worth $14.6 MM and he only got $3MM. Talk about lowballing, how bout dem Twinkies?:laughlol:

In Vlad's case he already made tens of millions, so why would he need another $4.5, especially from a last place team?

Like it or not Vlad is an entertainer who has an ego who wants to be justly compensated. If you want him to play for your team, you've got to show it.

And yet you have advocated that just another million or two would make him sign here. :rolleyes:

When Chris Jericho wrestled as a good guy, he would refer to his clueless opponents as assclowns. I'm not sure why I thought of that right now. :scratchchinhmm:

That's all well and good, but nobody else is offering him anything. He has no market and no position to negotiate from.

So there is zero reason for the O's to offer a dime more than they have.

You're worth what the market says you're worth. Not what some sliding statistical scale says.

When are you going to pull your head out of the sand and realize that?

Exactly..I wonder how that scale would tip, if you took out Arod's contract from the equation. $33M is ridiculous.

If he wants to get paid to play baseball and only one team is offering that to him, he needs to accept it.

Exactly my point; he doesn't need the 4.5, if he doesn't want to play baseball he can go look for other things to do. If he wants to play baseball than he has to take the offer. Why offer more money for the sake of paying an ego? Hell the way I see it, Anything above a minor league contract is paying his ego.

Trea, please respond.

Thanks,

OH

Thome really wanted to play for the Twins IMO, so that's why he took less than the Rangers offered him to go back there.

And unlike Vlad, Thome didn't play the full season. The Twins were pretty selective in how they used him.

Vlad was Texas' DH and cleanup hitter from start to finish.

Exactly..I wonder how that scale would tip, if you took out Arod's contract from the equation. $33M is ridiculous.

The stat is based on all free agents, but to keep it simple, if there were 100 free agents and the value is $4.5M, then that year's crop of free agents produced $450M, so remove A-Rod and that drops to $417M, or $4.17M. So while it is an outlier, it doesn't have as major an effect as it could.

18 months ago I would have said the same thing. Now I wonder whether '09 was a fluke for him. I am not sure of his emotions and maturity, besides the achilles his personal life may have been another achilles. The O's have been patient with him...

Once you get past half a season, there is really no such thing as fluke success in MLB. Clearly he has the abilities to be a successful hitter. He has power, he has a reasonably solid stroke, and he has a good batting eye and plate discipline. The question is not whether he can hit in MLB--he has already answered that--but why he didn't last season.

In this case, there's a reasonable explanation: his bum heel and slow recovery from surgery, possibly compounded by off-field distractions. Until he shows otherwise, the assumption has to be that when the problems are behind him, he will be back to what he was. You might say that you don't want to count on that happen, and that's fair enough. But you can't call his 2009 a fluke. It was for real; it didn't happen by accident.

Actually it was a $7.4 million dollar deal as he got an extra $1 million with them not picking up the option and could have recieved up to $0.9 million more based on being on the roster for so many days which he likely got.

And Vlad was worth $10.3 million last year with his performance according to Fangraphs.

So considering he performed as a $10 million dollar player would have, $4.5 million is a lowball offer as he more than earned that $7.4 million he got from Texas.

What was he worth the year before?

Since you wont answer, I will. Fangraphs had Vlad at $3.8M in 2009 and project his value at $4.8M in 2011. Clearly the Orioles asking price is reasonable. It is a discount, but it also is a risk.

Archived