Per Olney tweet, look for resolution in 48 hours

ChaosLex

But as fans should we care more about the business having success or the team winning?

For some, I think the business side seems to be more important.

It's not about what we care about, we're the fans. At the same time, we as fans can't bury our heads in the sand and simply pretend that the business side doesn't exist.

For some reason, this particular detail simply flies right over your head.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question on the contract total amount (reported 4-5 mil).

Is the 4-5 mil (range) "all" base salary and or the original reported 2 mil with between 2-3 mil in incentives to make the 4-5 mil offer ?? If this is the case Vlad me not be happy with the still low 2 mil base.

Others have posted that it is his pride or his ego. I think it is RESPECT. He signed a smaller contract in 2010 to prove himself. Then all he did was hit 29 h/r's, bat .300 and knock in 115 runs. Others players got bigger contacts this with less offensive numbers.

So, if the current offer is a base of 4.5 mil, I say give him a contact that can be worth 8 mil (3.5 in incentives) and yes you have 48 hrs to accept. It is called a Win-Win. Andy stays at 4.5 mil base and Vlad gets a contract that can be worth 8 mil.

Incentives:

1. 250000.00 for making the allstar team...another 250000.00 named MVP.

2. 1 mil A L MVP..750000 for 2nd...500000 for 3rd and 100000 for 4th.

3. I averaged four offensive stats coving his last 4 years, including an off year in 2009. He could make $250.000 by making and or exceeding each of the following: 25 h/r..95 rbis..160 hits...79 runs.

4. need a little help on this one: selling a preset number of season ticket plans.

All the incentives except the allstar game are pluses for the Orioles and the team.

Why should the O's be aggressive i persuing someone they don't feel they really need? You obviously feel we do really need him. I don't understand why you think the 2 extra wins he might provide is so important.

I, for one, am disappointed that we haven't been more aggressive in pursuing Jose Guillen. Sure, we don't need or want him, but this passive approach is just another example of MacPhail's inability to pull the trigger.

But as fans should we care more about the business having success or the team winning?

That depends. If you like to go to games, you absolutely must care about the business side. Otherwise ticket prices will become outrageous.

Like others have said, the two go hand in hand.

I'm not really sure how you don't see that.

Guest Hayden2004

BobKlap Bob Klapisch

by KenWeinman1057

Vlad is almost certain to land with Baltimore, and I believe he'll help the O's more than Manny will help the Rays. Just a hunch.

It's not about what we care about, we're the fans. At the same time, we as fans can't bury our heads in the sand and simply pretend that the business side doesn't exist.

That sums it up nicely.

I mean, it's not my money, I'm all for the signing at any price. But I get why it hasn't happened the way Trea wants it to.

Question on the contract total amount (reported 4-5 mil).

Is the 4-5 mil (range) "all" base salary and or the original reported 2 mil with between 2-3 mil in incentives to make the 4-5 mil offer ?? If this is the case Vlad me not be happy with the still low 2 mil base.

Others have posted that it is his pride or his ego. I think it is RESPECT. He signed a smaller contract in 2010 to prove himself. Then all he did was hit 29 h/r's, bat .300 and knock in 115 runs. Others players got bigger contacts this with less offensive numbers.

So, if the current offer is a base of 4.5 mil, I say give him a contact that can be worth 8 mil (3.5 in incentives) and yes you have 48 hrs to accept. It is called a Win-Win. Andy stays at 4.5 mil base and Vlad gets a contract that can be worth 8 mil.

Incentives:

1. 250000.00 for making the allstar team...another 250000.00 named MVP.

2. 1 mil A L MVP..750000 for 2nd...500000 for 3rd and 100000 for 4th.

3. I averaged fou r offensive stats coving his last 4 years, including an off

If you had your choice of DH's which would you rather have?

Dunn $14MM

VMart 12.5 MM

Vlad 8MM

Scott 6MM

Matsui 4.25 MM

Thome 3MM

Cust 2.5

Manny 2MM

But do we really believe that an extra $1-2 million is going to break this franchise to the point where they can't do anything else that they want to?

The payroll hasn't even hit $90 million yet.

At some point the product on the field has to win out over the profit received.

I don't care about the business side. The Orioles have plenty of resources to use. It's a matter of how much of them they want to use.

PGA is going to make a profit regardless of signing Vlad or not.

I care about winning and seeing the Orioles commit to putting the best ML product they can on that field.

It seems some people would rather see MacPhail "win" than to see MacPhail acquire Vlad so the Orioles can win more games and have better offensive depth.

Do you want the player or do you want to see a "win" by MacPhail? Which is more important?

Heck even at $6 million, Vlad is a "win" for the Orioles IMO.

The bolded part is painfully obvious.

But do we really believe that an extra $1-2 million is going to break this franchise to the point where they can't do anything else that they want to?

Why don't you understand the Orioles have a certain threshold of what they would want to sign Vlad for?

They have other options that they like...They seemingly like Vlad more depending on price but it gets to a point where that price goes higher than what is worth spending.

No, but if we break for one FA then other FA's in the future will know that we are desperate and will fold. Look at it the other way: with all the money Vlad has made, is an extra 2 million really necessary?

We are holding all the cards here. Vlad's group is bluffing, we aren't biting. At this point, if Vlad wants to play he will take what we are offering. We could really have been jerks and only offered him $1 million but we didn't. We offered a reasonable amount for an aging veteran, which is probably more than any other FA DH will make.

Also, with your love for WAR, do you really think the extra 2 wins are going to be a difference maker in the end? I mean, if we win 76 instead of 74, do we all of a sudden go from "cellar dwellers" to "playoff caliber team?"

How much better will the product on the field be with Vlad than with the Reimold/Pie platoon? How many wins? How many more tickets will be sold?

You do know that? Based on what? They have, reportedly, the ONLY OFFER on the table for him. They have offered him a contract that is comparable to what other DH's have gotten this offseason and adding incentives onto it. So, how exactly is that not being aggressive?

And how do you know PA is willing to spend that money?

You must walk out of every negotiation with a lot less money, a smile on the face of the other guys and one sore butt.

Thanks SG. Now I'm going to be hours cleaning the soda off of my computer.

Archived