Showalter has a surprise for the team

ChaosLex

When I started reading your post, I thought you were going to go in a different direction. Ray Lewis is a peer- one who has gotten the most out of his body and played at a very high level longer than pretty much anyone at his position ever has. As professional athletes, I'm sure they understand better than anyone else what kind of respect Ray is entitled to. Not only that, but an understanding of how someone like the Atlanta DA might want to take a shot at a guy like Ray to make a name for himself.

I think other sports fans would be far less forgiving than other sports players.

I don't think the players could care less about Lewis' legal battle from a decade ago. I'm not arguing that point at all.

I'm saying that as a communications professional, if another communications professional came in to give us a pep talk and offer new perspective, it would likely be no different than all of the same banter I've heard dozens of times before. I suppose Lewis could give the "I've been to the top of the mountain..." speech, but I don't think that's Buck's style.

A new perspective, one that puts everything in perspective, such as a military speaker, would have a greater impact, IMO.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Motivate them for what time period, though?

For a football game? Ok. But for an entire baseball season? No.

That's the issue.

Give Ray a little credit. I'm sure he's smart enough to understand that getting in the player's faces and asking them if the dogs are in the house is not going to be of any good to a baseball team at the beginning of spring training. What he can share that might be of good is the level of preparation, teamwork and focus that it takes to be a championship team, as well as a HOF-caliber professional. He can also tell the O's about the incredible amount of fan support Baltimore will give them if they go out there and compete with the best.

I don't think the players could care less about Lewis' legal battle from a decade ago. I'm not arguing that point at all.

I'm saying that as a communications professional, if another communications professional came in to give us a pep talk and offer new perspective, it would likely be no different than all of the same banter I've heard dozens of times before. I suppose Lewis could give the "I've been to the top of the mountain..." speech, but I don't think that's Buck's style.

A new perspective, one that puts everything in perspective, such as a military speaker, would have a greater impact, IMO.

Maybe this isn't an appropriate analogy, but I was watching The Soup or something about how Prince dragged Kim Kardashian up on stage during a concert and she later tweetd about how star struck she was about meeting Prince... Now Kim is in some pretty famous company usually (dated Reggie Bush, slept with RayJay, pals with Paris Hilton, famous lawyer father, etc).. So you'd think that being a pro athlete would make you think "Ray Lewis, so what", but he's one of the top five-ten greatest linebackers of all time. I think KK's experience with Prince just goes to show that idols are idols, and even famous people have them and look up to them. I dont think a Ray Lewis pep talk would fall on deaf ears.

You figured that all out on your own, did you?

You can't argue that fact that the statement isn't true. The people who never watch sports knows who Larry Bird was. They know he was a legendary basketball player. The same people know Ray Lewis for a different reason. Fair or not, he'll forever be stigmatized outside of Baltimore sports, and by his peers of course. Its a shame, because he is an all-time great.

I am not even say I disagree with you...but that goes back to what i said..people are morons.

Just as people here Big Ben and they think rapist. You say Kobe Bryant and they think rapist. That is just how people are and that's fine..but it doesn't mean they aren't morons or ignorant.

Teams have other athletes come in to talk all the time. Now, a lot of times they are retired but not always...Its not like it some radical concept that never happens.

You are so completely, utterly, dead wrong on this. Talk to anyone, and I mean ANYONE outside of Baltimore about Ray Lewis, and the first they will bring up is the Murder stuff. He is hardly going down in the annals of sports history as a great leader, outside of Baltimore sports.

I'm not saying its right, but I'm saying this is what he's known for. People who do not watch football know who Lewis is, not because he is a great player, but because they heard about him getting tangled up in some mess.

I travel a lot for work and that is not the first thing that is always brought up to me when I wear my Ravens hat at an airport. So don't tell me I am wrong. In fact, when I was in Nashville a month ago all I kept hearing is how Ray Lewis was awesome and how they felt their defenses would have gone from good to great if they had him on their team. Hell I heard this during the 2000 AFC playoff game when we beat them on our way to winning the Bowl. I was alone in the pisser at halftime, surrounded by Titans fans and they were all telling me how awesome Ray was and this was months after the Atlanta incident.

I have heard that comment from opposing fans before but is usually the idiots who are trying to take the piss rather than anyone who actually has a brain and knows what the hell they are talking about.

I wonder how many O's players don't even root for the Ravens?

I wonder, besides you, how many people that would even matter too? I abhor the Indianapolis Colts....they are an abomination and I wish them nothing but failure on the field. But if I was a young athlete and Peyton Manning came to speak to my team and share some of the wisdom he's learned over his career, you can damn well bet I'd listen. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

You figured that all out on your own, did you?

You can't argue that fact that the statement isn't true. The people who never watch sports knows who Larry Bird was. They know he was a legendary basketball player. The same people know Ray Lewis for a different reason. Fair or not, he'll forever be stigmatized outside of Baltimore sports, and by his peers of course. Its a shame, because he is an all-time great.

Do you have a poll or two or three to back up this "fact"? The NFL is so dominant in the American landscape that I'd argue that maybe, just maybe, if you ask 100 people (who were not obviously-biased Ravens, Steelers or Skins fans) "Who is Ray Lewis?" that the majority of them would say "football player" before "former murder suspect." It has been over 10 years now. We're just used to hearing about it from Steelers and Skins fans over the years - I think a neutral area poll might reveal surprising results. But that's just my opinion...

Anyway, I think Buck will have something more significant than a movie showing or a rah-rah speech from another athlete to begin his first spring training with the Birds. I have no idea what it is, but I can't imagine he'd have even mentioned it unless he thinks it's potentially impressive.

Do you have a poll or two or three to back up this "fact"? The NFL is so dominant in the American landscape that I'd argue that maybe, just maybe, if you ask 100 people (who were not obviously-biased Ravens, Steelers or Skins fans) "Who is Ray Lewis?" that the majority of them would say "football player" before "former murder suspect." It has been over 10 years now. We're just used to hearing about it from Steelers and Skins fans over the years - I think a neutral area poll might reveal surprising results. But that's just my opinion...

Anyway, I think Buck will have something more significant than a movie showing or a rah-rah speech from another athlete to begin his first spring training with the Birds. I have no idea what it is, but I can't imagine he'd have even mentioned it unless he thinks it's potentially impressive.

Thanks for reading my post. I think you missed the parts about me saying people who arent big on sports. Everyone in the world knows Michael Jordan for being the best basketball player of all time. Of course people who follow the NFL know Ray Lewis as a football player. If you want to argue that the first association is that mess he got himself tangled up in, then you have no leg to stand on. People who don't follow sports closely will always associate him with the murder stuff, before anything else. Again, right or wrong, thats reality.

Archived