ESPN Radio discusses Pujols to O's in Free Agency

KSDonDada01

This is the tipping point for the OH to think that we have a shot at Pujols.

The problem is availability of other teams. The Yanks and Sox, two teams with the financial means to get Albert, have their man already. We have a rich owner and a need at first, so we will be thrown around by the National media as a possible destination, and the more they throw our name out there, the more some people will get all excited and frantic. I fully expect someone *coughTreacough* to be pissed at MacPhail next offseason when we fail to land Pujols "even though we were the favorites to sign him." ;)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not remotely interested in Pujols. Simply too much money for a club of Baltimore's size to pay any one player. The risk is too huge. Injuries happen and happen a lot.

I really do hope the Cardinals get this figured out, though, because I want him nowhere near Toronto.

Man I HATE the Belle analogy. HATE it. I should make a new rant thread about it. The guy was awesome for us before the injury. AWESOME! You can't predict injury. You can't let one deal influence every signing for 12 years after that. And for God's sake, you cannot rewrite history and make Belle out to be some underperformer. He did everything we could ask for before he got hurt!

I agree.. especially considering we only ended up paying ~15.3 Million for those 2 years after the insurance paid out? Not a bad deal at all.

The problem is availability of other teams. The Yanks and Sox, two teams with the financial means to get Albert, have their man already. We have a rich owner and a need at first, so we will be thrown around by the National media as a possible destination, and the more they throw our name out there, the more some people will get all excited and frantic. I fully expect someone *coughTreacough* to be pissed at MacPhail next offseason when we fail to land Pujols "even though we were the favorites to sign him." ;)

How does St Louis have that much better financial means than we have? Especially considering their commitments in place?

I guess my feeling on Pujols right now is...a year ago, I would have said zero chance. Right now, I think it's unlikely, but it's not impossible.

IF we finish .500 or better and show some signs this year, then I would offer him a 5 yr/150mm deal. I personally think its the 30mm per season he wants. In the later stages of his contract when he is 35-36 y/o, he can DH if he is breaking down.

If 5/150M was enough, he'd be signed by now. That is way low.

How does St Louis have that much better financial means than we have? Especially considering their commitments in place?

Last year they were 4th in attendance 3,301,218. By comparison we were 24th 1,733,018. They own 2/3 of Missouri, Half of Illinois, parts of Iowa, Kentucky and Tennesee and most of Arkansas. In St. Louis the Cards are a religion and the Rams are an afterthought.

Last year they were 4th in attendance 3,301,218. By comparison we were 24th 1,733,018. They own 2/3 of Missouri, Half of Illinois, parts of Iowa, Kentucky and Tennesee and most of Arkansas. In St. Louis the Cards are a religion and the Rams are an afterthought.

That's nice but check this out:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2370324&postcount=27

Even with more attendance they don't appear to have significantly higher revenues.

Archived