Bautista's extension

clapdiddy

Of course, Rios contract hasn't really been bad...he has been worth 40 million thus far...He could put up a WAR of 0 in 2011 and 2012 and still be worth that deal.

And I already made it clear why I brought up Nick's contract.

Could you try and be clearer?

You said, "You must think Nick was a bad contract then."

What sense does it make to try and argue that Rios contract wasn't bad by asking the opinion on a contract that has been good?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may turn out to be a bad deal. I think Bautista turned a corner last year and has emerged as a pretty good hitter. He increased his walk rate, decreased his strikeout rate, made much more regular hard contact and did all this with a .4 reduction in his BABIP.

I don't think he's a 50+ HR bat, but I'm not sure why he wouldn't be a potential .250/.350/.500, 30+ HR bat. I mean, we're talking about $8 M this year and $14 M after that, right (2012-2015)? I'm not sure why this is such a terrible contract. May not be a steal -- there's risk -- but lots to like about last year.

Could you try and be clearer?

You said, "You must think Nick was a bad contract then."

What sense does it make to try and argue that Rios contract wasn't bad by asking the opinion on a contract that has been good?

Well, Rios' contract has been good as well.

However, my point, AGAIN, was that at the time of the deal, Rios' contract was good...and he was very similar to Nick.

So, if you feel Rios' deal was bad at the time, then you have to think Nick's was also bad.

Huh? What about years 2013 and 2014?

You are doing a terrible job of following the conversation.

I haven't mentioned 2013 and 2014. I am saying that from 2008-2012, he is due 40 million...He has already been worth 40 million.

So, he could be worth zero dollars in 2011 and 2012 and, in theory, still would have been worth his contract up until that point.

Archived