I'm willing to stick with Bergy. He stinks right now, but when he gets it together he'll string 10, 12, 15 good starts in a row.

I don't know scOtt. His 2 seamer was brutal last season, the worst fastball in MLB. His late season success came with him using his 4 seamer a lot more, I am worried that the book on him has been updated.

If the goal is to leave camp with the best five, right now he is headed to Norfolk.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know scOtt. His 2 seamer was brutal last season, the worst fastball in MLB. His late season success came with him using his 4 seamer a lot more, I am worried that the book on him has been updated.

If the goal is to leave camp with the best five, right now he is headed to Norfolk.

Yeah, he definitely has to turn it around first.

BB hasn't outpitched Tillman does he deserve his spot?

My five right now would be Guthrie, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton, Tillman.

Over the past two seasons, Bergesen has been more impressive than Tillman in the regular season when it counts ......... plus he has more time than Tillman in the bigs. Guthrie has been our best starting pitcher overall, both in terms of effective pitching and service. Then Bergesen, then Matusz (combined effectiveness and major league experience.) I believe that Guthrie has earned the most rope to hang himself with, and Bergy and Matusz are close to each other in second/third. That is why Tillman, Britton, Arrieta (and Duscherer if he gets healthy) are the ones that are being talked about getting those last two spots in the rotation.

Over the past two seasons, Bergesen has been more impressive than Tillman in the regular season when it counts ......... plus he has more time than Tillman in the bigs. Guthrie has been our best starting pitcher overall, both in terms of effective pitching and service. Then Bergesen, then Matusz (combined effectiveness and major league experience.) I believe that Guthrie has earned the most rope to hang himself with, and Bergy and Matusz are close to each other in second/third. That is why Tillman, Britton, Arrieta (and Duscherer if he gets healthy) are the ones that are being talked about getting those last two spots in the rotation.

I think only Guthrie and Matusz have earned enough rope that they should be guaranteed a spot in the rotation. As I stated earlier BB's 2 seamer was a major disappointment last season and if it does not return to form I do not see how he will stay in the rotation all season.

Only in ST ! Some people would put Chris Tillman in the OD rotation and send Brad Bergesen to the minors.

Tillman has never had two good starts in a row and has been "OK" this spring. Bergesen was great over the last two months last year and had a very solid rookie season.

Oh my! I'm concerned over Bergesen's spring but let's not get carried away just yet.

THAT is what I was trying to say in my last post. Thanks. I owe you one. :)

Only in ST! Some people would put Chris Tillman in the OD rotation and send Brad Bergesen to the minors. Tillman has never had two good starts in a row and has been "OK" this spring. Bergesen was great over the last two months last year and had a very solid rookie season. Oh my! I'm concerned over Bergesen's spring but let's not get carried away just yet.

From Buck's comments today about the pitching, it isn't a huge stretch to believe that more than one spot may be up for grabs:

I'm looking forward to them kind of locking it in a little bit. Some of the things they've been kind of tweaking and experimenting with. It's normal for spring training, but because they're younger, they want to try things to be perfect. I welcome that. But I think as you see, say, the post off-day, which would be the 22nd, I think you'll see, 'OK, I've looked at everything and here's what I'm going with.' The difference with them is they don't have a long-term track record of success, so that creates a little bit of, in some people's minds, what are we going to get? If (Mike) Mussina's healthy and he's down there with a 7.00 ERA, I don't think anybody's in a state of panic. They could all have zero ERA's down there and we'd still have that 'what if?'

Sounds to me like the next round of starts will be important.

Only in ST! Some people would put Chris Tillman in the OD rotation and send Brad Bergesen to the minors. Tillman has never had two good starts in a row and has been "OK" this spring. Bergesen was great over the last two months last year and had a very solid rookie season. Oh my! I'm concerned over Bergesen's spring but let's not get carried away just yet.

No, I am "concerned" that Bergesen is a ground ball pitcher and that his 2 seam fastball was the worst fastball in the majors last season. That does not bode well for his continued sucess at this level. His struggles in spring training may mean nothing, or it may mean that teams are adapating to his increased use of his 4 seam fastball.

I spoke with a Boston scout yesterday about Britton. He said that he wasn't blown away by his secondaries, but his four seamer/sinker combo is "one of the best he's seen in a long time." He said his sinker dives so much, it almost acts like a hard splitter.

I asked him how Britton compares to Lester and he said, "Favorably, but Lester's command is better because he doesn't get quite as much movement."

I spoke with a Boston scout yesterday about Britton. He said that he wasn't blown away by his secondaries, but his four seamer/sinker combo is "one of the best he's seen in a long time." He said his sinker dives so much, it almost acts like a hard splitter.

I asked him how Britton compares to Lester and he said, "Favorably, but Lester's command is better because he doesn't get quite as much movement."

Thanks for passing that along.

The similar speeds combined with the big difference in movement between the two fastballs makes that a devastating combination. Even if you guess right, each one is hard to hit square. "Lacks command because the ball moves so much" is not really a bad problem to have.

The slider is supposed to be better than average, and I saw a couple of excellent changes the other night. I don't remember the last time I got so enthused by a first look at an O's player. Mussina, maybe.

The Orioles have made an effort to mute the hype, I think, so Britton has snuck up on us somewhat. But from my first look the other night, he has the potential to be really, really good.

Archived