I don't see why a rough stretch of games should change anyone's opinion of Britton. If you expected him to continue to skate through starts with his peripherals, you had unreasonable expectations. He looks like he has legit #2 upside, but as I expressed after his 1st start, he's a ways away from that. So what? If he finishes the year with true #3/#4 production, that is fantastic for a 1st yr arm. Take a deep breath and exhale, everyone. There are going to be hiccups.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see why a rough stretch of games should change anyone's opinion of Britton. If you expected him to continue to skate through starts with his peripherals, you had unreasonable expectations. He looks like he has legit #2 upside, but as I expressed after his 1st start, he's a ways away from that. So what? If he finishes the year with true #3/#4 production, that is fantastic for a 1st yr arm. Take a deep breath and exhale, everyone. There are going to be hiccups.

I agree. I was very high on Britton since seeing him pitch for Advanced-A Frederick two years ago, and I still am. I am very happy with the impressive outings that he started the season with, and like you, I feel that his latest rough stretch is all part of the growing process for a young, talented pitcher.

Yep...A lot of people were ignoring some warning signs early on.

His K rate is under 5.

His swingingstr% is 13%, which is under league average but I would guess around league average for starters. However, he missed more bats early on than he is now I believe..almost as if the league has caught up to him.

Now, he needs to adjust back.

Command still not where it needs to be but it will come in time I would guess.

I wasn't pointing out his recent slide in a panic, and I agree with your post. I was mainly trying to put some perspective on all the hyperbole being thrown around after his first 5 starts, results wise at least.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I wasn't pointing out his recent slide in a panic, and I agree with your post. I was mainly trying to put some perspective on all the hyperbole being thrown around after his first 5 starts, results wise at least.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Wasn't singling you out. I agree with all of this.

Would it really be that crazy to send him back to AAA for the requsite 20 days (or whatever the number is) so he can catch his breath? It's not so much a reaction to the two poor starts in a row from him, but I really would like to address his service clock issue, and maybe giving him 4 or 5 starts at AAA would give him a chance to work on some of the finer details of his game without the pressure of learning in the bigs. He's gotten a taste, had some success (and some failure), and he can take it as an opportunity to finish off his development.

It really hurts that Tillman and Bergy have imploded so much that we really don't have the means to do this.

It is interesting that they keep pushing Britton on his innings, especially when they have had a few chances to skip him but they run him out there as part of a 4 man rotation. Other teams have skipped their promising youngsters to help keep their innings down.

So mature. :rolleyes:

I agree this thread has run its course. It is hard to follow the information in here now.

This thread now seems to be bad luck so it might be time for it to die.

Bad luck. It's a real bummer.

Archived