Gotta agree with Tony and JTrea. If Britton is clearly the best 5th starter, he should get the job. If it's close then let him start out in the minors. IMO, it's not close.

Thank you for agreeing. 5th best? A bit better than that.

But one of the best 5, yes.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for agreeing. 5th best? A bit better than that.

But one of the best 5, yes.

It's still only 3 or 4 starts. And Tillman has definitely been one of the 5 best too.

I didn't mean you when I said about writing Tillman off. But Britton hasn't been THAT much better than Tillman. And you can't bank on him being better once the regular season starts.

It's still only 3 or 4 starts. And Tillman has definitely been one of the 5 best too.

I didn't mean you when I said about writing Tillman off. But Britton hasn't been THAT much better than Tillman. And you can't bank on him being better once the regular season starts.

How much is the difference b/w winning and losing? Should we contend, how much do you think each win will mean to this team?

You can't bank on anything, all you can do is take the data available and make the best possible decision. If you want your team to by in, then you havent to make a decision for today. If these guys playing behind britton think he gives them a better chance to win right now, then you have to keep him up. Its about a team, not about one player 5-6 years from now.

Britton wants to win for the Os now

Reynolds wants to win for the Os now

Vlad wants to win for the Os now

Roberts wants to win for the Os now

Hardy wants to win for the Os now

Its about today for the Os. Not 6 years from now, not 2 years from now. Win now and the rest will take care of itself. We need an aggressive and positive mindset that Everyone in the organization cares more about winning this year than anything else. That sort of thing is a mindset and it comes from the top.

You have guys like Vlad out there thinking maybe I made a good move coming here, maybe I can win here. He watches Britton and im sure he is impressed. We have to aggressively pursue every win and every chance to gain any advantage in our quest to win any game we possibly can. Today we are guaranteed, we can figure out 1 player several years from now.

jmo

How much is the difference b/w winning and losing? Should we contend, how much do you think each win will mean to this team?

You can't bank on anything, all you can do is take the data available and make the best possible decision. If you want your team to by in, then you havent to make a decision for today. If these guys playing behind britton think he gives them a better chance to win right now, then you have to keep him up. Its about a team, not about one player 5-6 years from now.

Its about today for the Os. Not 6 years from now, not 2 years from now. Win now and the rest will take care of itself. We need an aggressive and positive mindset that Everyone in the organization cares more about winning this year than anything else. That sort of thing is a mindset and it comes from the top.

You have guys like Vlad out there thinking maybe I made a good move coming here, maybe I can win here. He watches Britton and im sure he is impressed. We have to aggressively pursue every win and every chance to gain any advantage in our quest to win any game we possibly can. Today we are guaranteed, we can figure out 1 player several years from now.

jmo

I don't even disagree with you! :) Wins matter this year, for sure. Best case I think we're on the fringe of the WC. I just think Tillman is the better bet for two months, and a MUCH better move for the club, long long term.

Agree to disagree, I guess. :P

EDIT: For that matter... and again the dreaded SSS... If our 5th starter only gets 3 starts in April, I'd almost rather see Drese get the nod. Send Tillman and Britton down and get them BOTH on a good 5 day rotation. Beginning of May, Drese sticks, or moves to the pen, or dropped, and Tillman comes up.

I think his experience demands to call him up first. He's done enough amazing things in the minors, and enough good things in the majors, to give him the first chance.

I wouldn't take too much away from the line today, as he was mostly facing low-A players. But his pitches were sharp and he felt good. Got stretched out in an extended second inning. Velo stayed sharp into the fifth.

Here are my notes:

Zach Britton, who was pitching in the MiL game today while Tillman got the start for the big league club in Bradenton, was basically just getting his work in. He went 5 scoreless innings, including an extended second inning intended to elevate his pitch count. His command was a bit spotty, but the movement on his pitches was sharp and his velo was game speed. He still needs a little refinement in the command department, but he’s more or less ready for big league action. That sinker will play as a legitimate out pitch in ML and the slider was very sharp today as well. After his outing Britton said he felt good and loose.

jmo

In the spring of 2008, the Rays were coming off a 96-loss season. Despite their history of 91 losses or more in every one of their first ten seasons and despite the tough prospect of competing in the AL East, they knew they had a pretty good team. Despite evidence that the team was pretty good, most predicted an improved but losing season while recognizing the possibility that they could break .500 if a lot went well. They managed to change the losing culture in 2008 with a World Series appearance.

In the spring of 2011, the O's are coming off a 96-loss season. The history of losing and the tough prospect of competing in the AL East make it difficult to believe the O's will be in contention. Most 'experts' are predicting an improved but losing season with the possibility that they could break .500 if a lot goes well. Maybe we should take a note from the Rays, right?

The Rays kept Evan Longoria in the minors for the first two weeks of the 2008 season so that he would be under control for the extra year.

Thirteen days in 2008 < six months in 2014.

A week later, they signed him to a very creative potentially very long-term deal.

Archived