For What It's Worth...

Belkast

For the FA years sure, but there is a 0% chance he gets that type of money over the next two years. He won't be expecting to get it either, unless he is hellbent on leaving town. His agents will be intelligent enough to know that nobody gets FA year money during the arb years of a contract extension. It has never happened in MLB history, and Bedard certainly won't be the first.

Got it. Thanks.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we not pursuing him at all according to your guy? I just want to know if we are interested. MacPhail hasn't made a statement like some other GMs have already...

Not coming here, no chance of happening, none, nadda, no way!

Spoke with my guy and thought I would pass along what I was told. Nothing earth shattering but here it goes.......First the players that we will attempt to get off of next years roster. Gibbons,Payton,Hernandez ,1 of Millar/Huff, Tejada, and Baez.

Gibbons -Good luck, they'll need to add cash

Payton - see Gibbons

Baez - on the disabled list for the 2008 season.

And he should be.

Maybe he would rather play in Toronto, but his first priority is financial security.

He will be 29 before opening day and he has yet to pitch a whole season. Durability isn't his strong suit.

His value may never be higher than right now so it would be a risky roll of the dice, imo, for him to wait two more seasons to hit FA.

You are exactly right, and these are the same reasons that I think we would be foolish to at least not see what we could get for him. I really like Bedard, as we all do, but his durability does scare me a little.

Belkast, curious if there's anything more specific being said about Tejada -- who's interested, what kind of an offer they're expecting, etc.
Wow, I can actually hear your knuckles grinding from crossing your fingers hoping that the Cubs won't trade Pie for him. :)

Gibbons -Good luck, they'll need to add cash

Payton - see Gibbons

Baez - on the disabled list for the 2008 season.

Gibbons will get cut very soon.

Payton has value if we eat some of his contract.

With Baez, you won't get much for him, but getting rid of him one way or another would be fantastic.

Belkast, curious if there's anything more specific being said about Tejada -- who's interested, what kind of an offer they're expecting, etc.

As I said yesterday and it was confirmed by my guy. Your Cubbies are probably the most likely target and Pie would be likely main attraction. They would like to get 3 or 4 other teams into the fold as well to maximize our return.

The numbers you've presented are perfect IMO. I wouldn't go any higher than that on Bedard with the question marks looming about him. There is no way I offer him 6 guaranteed years. I would offer him 4 plus two club option years at high dollar amounts like 19 mil/2 mil buy out if I had to do it.

I'm not even sure which way I hope Bedard will work out. He has tremendous actual value but I'm positive his perceived value among GMs is even higher than his actual value. Of course, you could always trade him at some point EVEN if you sign him.

I am right there with you on this post.

I keep going back and forth on Bedard...I guess i will be happy either way.

BTW, if we offer him more than 4 guaranteed years, i think it will be a mistake as well.

The most i could see giving him is 4/54 but that is really the most money Bedard figures to make over the next 4 years...Since we are taking on all the risk, we should be able to get him for 4/44-50 million.

BTW...Not sure how much everyone cares but Trembley has impressed the hell out of everyone. Sounds like he could very well be a long term Baltimore style manager. His work effort is fantastic and his passion is even better. I am rooting for him.

This may be the most important post in the thread. Having the right manager in place could lead to a long managerial tenure, which would mean the team is doing well, and had made the right managerial choice. I'd like nothing better than to see Trembley retire after 15 sucessful years helming this ship. It would mean that our curse had been reversed.

All he needs is the players.

As I said yesterday and it was confirmed by my guy. Your Cubbies are probably the most likely target and Pie would be likely main attraction. They would like to get 3 or 4 other teams into the fold as well to maximize our return.

Thanks as always.

Archived