If you were the GM, would you put Britton on the OD roster, or wait?

Frobby

If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If you were GM, would Britton be on the OD roster

• Yes - give the team the best chance to win now
    • No - get the extra year of control by waiting until April 21 or later

This poll is closed to new votes

Tampa Bay.

Who is cheap and doesn't want to play their talented players and/or has a sufficient development system in place to replace them cheaply.

Tampa has to keep players down for financial reasons.

What's the Orioles excuse?

The Orioles just dropped more than $20 million on 1 year players, and they can't afford to pay Britton?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who is cheap and doesn't want to play their talented players and/or has a sufficient development system in place to replace them cheaply.

Tampa has to keep players down for financial reasons.

What's the Orioles excuse?

The Orioles just dropped more than $20 million on 1 year players, and they can't afford to pay Britton?

This has nothing to do with money.

It is about keeping him for one full season longer. Do you not get that? That is huge.

The money situation would be the super 2 stuff...which you seem to think is what we are talking about.

I am not sure you actually understand the difference.

Ah, so you suggest that I just agree with whatever the masses think, take insults that are thrown out for no reason, not let people know that I am actually not someone else, etc?

No thanks. Keep the tip in your back pocket.

:thumbsup1:

Yep, that's exactly what I said. Uh-huh.

*smiles*

*backs slowly away*

Trea is incorrect about the "basics".

I knew about the rotation spots that were already decided and how many starts the #3 starter makes and what the "competition" was actually for.

That's more than some people who have stated "it's not 4 starts" over and over again seem to know...

This has nothing to do with money.

It is about keeping him for one full season longer. Do you not get that? That is huge.

The money situation would be the super 2 stuff...which you seem to think is what we are talking about.

I am not sure you actually understand the difference.

You do realize if they extend him, that point for the extra year becomes moot.

So now you are talking about leverage in an extension.

Or maybe they trade him in 2015 instead of 2016?

After 2015 we may be rebuilding anyway after all our core players leave.

Britton is our best pitcher now. He also has the best chance of beating those 4 teams out of the three starters for that #3 spot.

This team has invested far too much into winning in 2011 to not field the best team they can starting Opening Day.

It's wasting money to go into April without your best players on the roster.

I won't have any problems trading a 27 year old Britton in 2015 if we've developed a replacement for him in the minors as well, as we'll have plenty of time to do that.

That's what Oakland does. They develop pitching and then trade it when it becomes expensive and past peak.

I knew about the rotation spots that were already decided and how many starts the #3 starter makes and what the "competition" was actually for.

That's more than some people who have stated "it's not 4 starts" over and over again seem to know...

The 4th start would be April 19...Britton could start April 21...So really, it is 3 starts and that assumes he has a chance to be the "#3" starter to begin with.

Nope...sorry.

You do realize if they extend him, that point becomes moot.
And with Boras as his agent, they won't be able to extend him beyond his last arb year UNLESS they drastically overpay, like the Rockies did with CarGo. You are already sitting here and saying he could be done in a few years, so I am sure you aren't willing to give him a monster contract well into his 30s.

After 2015 we may be rebuilding anyway after all our core players leave

And if that's the case, then having the extra year of service time makes Britton worth more in a trade. You can't tell me that you can't grasp the importance of that.

You are talking about 2-3 starts in a season where you think we will win 85 games EITHER WAY.

So, why are you even crying about this?

And don't give me the mindset bs...The team's mindset isn't any different if Britton goes down or not.

The 4th start would be April 19...Britton could start April 21...So really, it is 3 starts and that assumes he has a chance to be the "#3" starter to begin with.

He should start every single game for the first two months of the season, and if the Orioles were smart they'd lock him up for the next decade for $500 million.

You do realize if they extend him, that point for the extra year becomes moot.

So now you are talking about leverage in an extension.

Or maybe they trade him in 2015 instead of 2016?

After 2015 we may be rebuilding anyway after all our core players leave.

Britton is our best pitcher now. He also has the best chance of beating those 4 teams out of the three starters for that #3 spot.

This team has invested far too much into winning in 2011 to not field the best team they can starting Opening Day.

It's wasting money to go into April without your best players on the roster.

No he's not.

There are 4 starts that Britton could start before the 21st.

The 3rd against Tampa, the 8th vs. the Rangers, the 14th vs. the Yankees and the 19th vs. the Twins.

Duke is also scheduled to make that start on the 21st, so if he's healthy, Britton isn't coming up.

So there's your 4 starts.

There are 4 starts that Britton could start before the 21st.

The 3rd against Tampa, the 8th vs. the Rangers, the 14th vs. the Yankees and the 19th vs. the Twins.

Duke is also scheduled to make that start on the 21st, so if he's healthy, Britton isn't coming up.

So there's your 4 starts.

But if Britton gets the 21st start, then its really only 3 starts.

If Duke comes back and Britton is kept down, then that's a good problem to have if everyone is producing.

Name somebody you have more faith in against those 4 teams based on this spring and all the tinkering that Connor has done?

Matusz...I am not like you...I don't blow small sample sizes out of proportion.

I have more knowledge and intelligence than that.

Not to mention, unlike you, I also know that Britton isn't the greatest pitcher of all time and because of that, he will have some growing pains, maybe even in April of his rookie season.

I am not willing to say he is going to go out and pitch a bunch of shutouts from the beginning.

Archived