Watching O's Games Outside of Area

smootharch

I live in Minnesota and am trying to figure out the best way to get every Oriole game. I purchased the Sports Pack on Direct TV, hoping to just watch every game on MASN and MASN2. For some reason, the game was blacked out last night, and it looks like every game will be that way on that channel if I live outside of the local area. Does anyone know if the MLB Extra Innings on Direct TV is the only way to get each game? I was trying to avoid having to pay the $220 for the season.

And I am referring to watching on TV. I know all of my options on-line.

Thanks.

I don't know of anything other than the MLB EI...but I got that for $179 during the free preview last week.

But, speaking of blackouts...have the blackout rules changed this year? Orioles games have never been blacked out in South Carolina, but the last game that was supposed to be televised on the MLB Network wasn't shown. I don't remember the exact wording now, but it stated that due to MLB blackout rules the game could not be shown and regular programming would continue after the game.

Yes, if you have DirecTV, you have to buy the MLB Extra Innings package if you want to see nearly all of the Oriole games. Just paying for the sports channels package will not work ... they will be blacked out unless you live in that team's area.

I say "nearly all" because Fox has rights on Saturday afternoons, so if the Orioles play anytime before 7 p.m., the game will be blacked out for you.

Also, either watch the game live or record it as any of these baseball games rebroadcast later are blacked out then.

An aside: Even if you pay for the sports channels and pay for MLB Extra Innings, you still will not be able to see any of the Orioles Classic games that MASN televises. Those are blacked out for those of us outside of the MASN coverage area. Very frustrating, but I have contacted MASN and they told me even though these are not live games, you have to live inside of the MASN coverage area to see the Classics. And I don't believe this is a MASN decision, as I have noticed the YES network blacks out any Yankees games from the past as well.

Archived