Should Pie have plowed into Joba?

NewMarketSean

I just watched the game on the MLB.TV archive, then read the whole thread. Now I have things to say!

Pie should have scored one way or another.

Pie did slide, but it was a terrible slide. A good slide and he scores.

Joba's blocking of the plate with his back turned was effective but utterly stupid. Pie could have ended his career and it would have been 100% clean.

In my opinion as a really good base runner in high school (take that for what its worth) the natural reaction for any base runner to seeing a position player blocking a bag should be take him out. There should not be a thought process or a hesitation, it should be automatic.

Who cares about a 60 pound difference? Pie is going full speed at Joba's back. Drop a shoulder into his thigh or spike him in he calf, not way the big man doesn't go down and he most likely drops the ball.

I know this sounds harsh because it probably means Joba is injured, possibly seriously. But that's baseball, you put yourself in a poor position, then the other team needs to make you pay. If you give your opponent this type of advantage, no matter how small, they will take it every time. You take him out, then the next similar play you have a clean place to slide.

To me, this is exactly the mentality Buck has been trying to instill in this team. Make them scared of us, not the other way around. It is a matter of intimidation.

I agree 100%

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't care what anyone says. Matt set the tone when he kicked the hell out of Upton. Bring the pain or stay home. I don't care if it's April and I don't care if you're giving up 40 pounds. You get paid to play a game and you should lay everything out every night. I'll take injuries and a losing season knowing that my guys gave as good as they got.

Personal side note. I'm a life long Utah Utes fan. In this year's game against TCU our quarterback Jordan Wynn slid down on a third down scramble and run about 2 yards short of a first in the beginning of the game. It set up an ass whooping of epic proportions. If you don't want to leave it all on the field, don't come to play. For god's sake I'll run into the fence playing slow pitch soft ball just because I want to win. No excuse.

You can't help the team from the DL.

Archived