New Law Mock Draft V4

He has:

1. Cole

2. Rendon

3. Hultzen

4. Baltimore Orioles: Trevor Bauer, RHP, UCLA

"All else being equal, they'd prefer a college player, and would love Hultzen but seem unlikely to get him. Also hearing them on Dylan Bundy and to a lesser degree on Starling and Lindor. Early interest in Jed Bradley seems to have faded."

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=mlb_draft

I'd be amazed if Starling gets past KC.

The rumor around the media sites is that Kansas City wants a college arm that will be ready to help them in 2013 when all of their current prospect studs are up with the Big club. Believe what you will -- I'm a little skeptical but it isn't crazy.

To add to that he has Bundy going to the D-backs at 7, Starling to the Cubs at 9 and Bradley is not in his top 10.

I'm willing to bet money this doesn't happen. That #7 pick is use it or lose it, no chance they take such a high upside HS draft pick who has ALL the leverage and could ask for the moon and half of Saturn. He could just go to JUCO for a year, and come back to be a top 3 pick next year, or pull a Cole and go to college for 2 seasons and be the #1 overall pick. I think Bundy is better than Cole was out of HS, by a good amount.

Posted a link to FullCountPitch's story on Bauer the other day:

http://fullcountpitch.com/2011/05/10/building-a-workhorse/

The more I read articles like this, the more I think the determining factors on who gets picked where are going to come down to off the field issues like asking price, where a player is from or whether you know their family.

There are so many good pitchers, and players, in this draft that could turn into top flight starters.

Cole was shaky again last night, giving up four runs on seven hits in the first two innings against Cal St. Bakersfield, a game UCLA lost, 5-1...

To be fair to Cole, if you take away the two shaky innings he was 7 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 6 SO

Hultzen also had a rough first inning last night, surrendering five runs (three earned) on the way to a 6-2 loss against Miami...he did recover nicely the last six innings he pitched...I'm not sure who the first pick is going to be or should be

Nick, can you compare Dylan Bundy and Sonny Gray? I'd appreciate how you value them, as both are shorter right-handers with plus stuff. Would Kyle Drabek be a fair comparison to either?

Physically, I think Drabek could be a solid comp for Bundy. Gray is shorter than both, though very strong. Bundy has a deeper arsenal than Gray. Comparable fastball velocity, with Bundy bumping higher this spring but far less tested as to how it holds up over the long haul. Gray's curve is easily the second best pitch between the two of them. I still have concerns over the number of innings Bundy threw last spring/summer (it showed in the summer), but provided his medicals checked-out I'd have no issue drafting him or Gray at 4th overall.

I think that while Bundy is highly developed for a HSer, there is a little more risk his stuff slips as he transitions to throwing on less rest. I'd rank Gray ahead, but it's incredibly close and I don't think there is really a bad choice.

Archived