Can we please release Mike Gonzalez?!?!?

Marcus

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's unfortunate. I'd approach him anyway and request that he take an assignment in the minors. If he's a team player, he'll accept it, go down and get his head and mechanics back together and maybe make it back up here later in the season and contribute. Takes a special kind of player to agree to that though.

Right, we know that overall in his 12.2 innings this year he has been poor. That is not up for debate. The issue is how significant are 12.2 innings?
Well, you like to talk about how he pitched in those 22.2 innings after his return last year, so we'll give him 10 more innings this year to get his numbers in line with his career, and see how that goes.

Don't think so. When we release him he will never pitch in the majors again. He is worse than Mike DeJean was, and I never thought I'd see someone that bad again.

Ha! I am disappointed that I'm even surprised that you out did your last post. Just ridiculous.

I point out how he was when he returned, because you have many fans that point how he was to start '10, when he clearly injured.

What exactly is your point here? You think he has been horrible so far this year? Great we agree. You are tired of hearing about his career numbers... give me any reason why it makes more sense to judge him basically on '11 alone?

At the risk of repeating myself, what he has done in his career, in the N.L. mind you, isn't necessarily what you can hang your hat on this year. You thought 22.2 innings was a fair body of work to judge him as effectively returned from his injury. Tell me what number works for you this year, and we'll grade him then.

He is a waste of time!!! Get rid of him!!!! Logic??? Logic says that he is worthless as a pitcher. Maybe as a person but not as a pitcher any longer. Let him go be a stud for someone else, he will never be for the Orioles.

It is the same posters who chime in for every thread like this, every year. We are nowhere near releasing Gonzalez. He's in a very poor groove now, but eventually will get out of it. He'd have to suck for another 2 months before any serious thought would be given to releasing him. So why do we need a new thread like this every time the guy has a bad game?

Sucks for two months like April and May of 2011?

We cannot afford that.

I haven't jumped on the Mike Gonzalez pile-ons due to his long track record of success. But something is broken. For me, tonight was the last straw. Gonzalez needs to go. If we can somehow send him to the minors to fix whatever is wrong, great. Otherwise, I don't want to see him in an Orioles uniform again.

yep, gotta agree with this (too much rep, etc.)

Is it possible to start dealing players yet? If not, when?

It is the same posters who chime in for every thread like this, every year. We are nowhere near releasing Gonzalez. He's in a very poor groove now, but eventually will get out of it. He'd have to suck for another 2 months before any serious thought would be given to releasing him. So why do we need a new thread like this every time the guy has a bad game?

Because every time he pitches is a bad game Frobster! His career numbers argument that Stoner keeps preaching is a joke. As he was sitting in the bullpen last night all alone, I bet Buck looked out there and thought, "Jeebus, I am gonna HAVE to use him, aren't I?" Buck has no confidence in him, the fans have no confidence in him, and HE seems to have no confidence in himself.

But ALL of that aside, he is a loose cannon out there. He has no idea where his pitches are going, and he nearly ended a young man's career last night.

I feel bad for Gonzo, I really do, because looking at him, this poor performance really seems to get to him, but enough is enough. He is hurting the team and he is endangering players. Not to mention, we know how Gerardi is. I would not be at all surprised to see one of our guys plunked hard tonight by CC.

The only thing I have left to say to Gonzo can be found here...

object>

Gonzalez sucks this year, no question. But worst Orioles reliever ever? Heck, half the 1998-1999 bullpens were worse than Gonzalez:

Mike Fetters (1999): 5.81 ERA, 1.839 WHIP

Ricky Bones (1999): 5.98 ERA, 1.786 WHIP

Heathcliff Slocumb (1999): 12.46 ERA, 2.769 WHIP

Norm Charlton (1998): 6.94 ERA, 2.029 WHIP

Based on pure sucktitude I go with Slocumb. As bad as Gonzalez has been, I don't think it is scientifically possible to be worse than Slocumb. I can't shake the feeling that Gonzalez is hiding an injury and needs to be put on the DL.

Archived