MATUSZ at AAA-Norfolk

OFFNY

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barring any setbacks, in a week or so they should promote Britton, Matusz, and Griffin all at once.

Who did he piss off in the organization? Am I the only one that wonders what happens between the level he has had these pitchers and the next above levels when they seem to fall apart? I absolutely feel with the Orioles history of screwing things up that he will leave after the season and go on to be a HOF type of pitching coach (with our luck a division rival). Of course with the Orioles luck he will be the MLB coach and will be absolutely horrible, thus we lose either way.

Well when all our young pitching was in the minors it made sense to have a guy who could do well in AAA. Now they're all getting their mechanics destroyed in MLB though so yeah I think it makes sense to promote him with the kids he's worked with.

Through 2 innings Matusz has thrown 51 pitches. he has given up 4 runs (3 earned)on 4 hits and 2 walks. Not a good follow up to the stellar start he had last time. Looks like we wont be seeing him back in Baltimore for a while. I was really hoping he would string some nice outings together down in Norfolk.

Matt Riley, Adam Loewen, Daniel Cabrera, Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz....the list continues. Guys who look like world beaters coming up through the system then lose their stuff or command (or both) after reaching the majors. Then they get demoted back to the minors and are a shell of their former self.. The poor luck is mind boggling. Who will the next one be?

Zach Britton

Is this something that can be improved with more strength and conditioning, lifting weights and such? I know many always talk about Matusz looking "soft" I wonder if a little more time in the gym would do him some good.

Matusz was never a hard throwing, mid-90s pitcher. He could be a Jimmy Key, Jamie Moyer, Gregg Maddox type if he can command 4 pitches and the strike zone. I see him becoming crafty. Let's not give up on him but from an organizational stand point if he is not hurt then we may need to help him re-invent his delivery and career. With the track record of our player development folks he would have a better chance of that in another organization.

Matusz was never a hard throwing, mid-90s pitcher. He could be a Jimmy Key, Jamie Moyer, Gregg Maddox type if he can command 4 pitches and the strike zone. I see him becoming crafty. Let's not give up on him but from an organizational stand point if he is not hurt then we may need to help him re-invent his delivery and career. With the track record of our player development folks he would have a better chance of that in another organization.

The issue isn't that Matusz needs to throw mid 90's, but he does need to throw 90ish consistently if he wants his change up to work. Throwing your fastball the same speed as your change up hasn't served him too well this year, when you can get a 10 MPH difference in your FB/CH you'll see him be successful. He is a guy who relies on his CH, and like I said, right now its just a couple MPH slower than his FB. That needs to change.

This is really the saddest part. If just one of these guys turned into an above average starter we could of had a different situation. Its really amazing to me. Some people will say that these guys just weren't that good in the first place but Loewen and Cabrera had some crazy physical tools and Till and Matusz were very hyped by outside scouts and they've all failed. I obviously still have hope in Matusz but I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Tillman's ceiling is much lower than what was thought just two years ago.

Britton, Riley, Loewen, Cabrera

Zach Britton

Archived