Two part Melewski interview with AM about international operations.

Can_of_corn

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope there isn't a doubt that MacPhail should not be back in 2012 now after reading these comments.

This just shows you how much of the game has passed him by and how fast he's turning into another Syd Thrift.

His views on the international market are biased and outdated and he's not willing to do the research to even see if he's right. That sounds a lot like Thrift used to.

After reading this article I have finally been converted. This story shows a blatant disregard for how MLB operates in 2011, and what it takes to field a successful team and how to build from the ground up. It aint 1985 anymore Andy!!! Wake the #$%^ up!

McPhail is clearly not the answer, and his "conservative" approach combined with Angelos' proclivity for cheapness is a death sentence for theis franchise. It is no wonder we have gone nowhere for 4 years.

This combination of owner/GM is a complete disaster. You need balance betwen the two,and it seems like they are one in the same at how they look at things. That is probably why Angelos picked him in the first place, he knew he would fall into lock step with his "vision". That vision would be to sit back and watch the club appreciate over the years while spending as little as possible. Basically a long term investment who really cares if we win or not my investment will be rising regardless. (and it has to the tune of about $200 million over 18 years). If you include how he extorted MLB with the Nats that number is probably WAY low.

He made a few decent trades, made a few good draft picks(maybe) but not much else.

See ya later.

To me, falling behind others in your division as far as talent acquisition (excluding free agents) is not a good strategy. The Orioles are clearly not going to out invent the rest of the division. Then it comes down to being in the same pools and taking your chances on development. If we exclude certain pools, well that just puts us behind the 8 ball. In that regard, McPhail's attitude might just be old school unwilling or wise. How many multi million dollar camp babies have made it to the show? There is a good question. Once one goes super star, then McPhail has big egg on his face, even if the majority of bonus babies fail. Only takes one super star.

I think most on here are not characterizing what he said correctly. AM SAID HE WOULD HAVE GIVEN SANO 1ST ROUND MONEY!!!. That means he was offering seven figures but not Weiters or Manny money. That means the valued him highly and were in fact willing to pay. Being has though he is already playing part of his time at 3rd maybe AM was right. As of last year there was one all star produced by the top 31 signings from this system and a couple of guys that might become regulars. But let's be honest there where more guys that became other older people than productive MLers in that group. AM is making his bets down there and really we will not have any idea how he is doing for 2 or three more years at the earliest.

Don't fall for that. That's the equivalent of offering 7/$140M for Tex. It's not going to get it done and he knew it wouldn't get it done. Either you're in or you're out. AM is always half way.

Pretty crappy stuff. MacPhail is getting bashed here and deservedly so. His stance on international scouting is ridiculous. Moreover, it's insulting that he holds up Simon and Koji as examples of international scouting. Yeah, Andy...way to reach out on a limb and pluck some up and coming talent.

I haven't been really vocal on here as someone who wants him gone after this year, but I absolutely do. However, I'm not convinced his replacement will be any better as long as Angelos is running things.

The only good thing about MacPhail returning for 2012 and beyond would be JTrea's reaction. I think his return could be worth the meltdown.

In 2010, the Rays spent $1.73 mm internationally, the Sox spent $1.64 mm, the Orioles spent $1.18 mm. The Yankees ($5.27 mm) and Jays ($4.18 mm) were much higher. http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2011/2611345.html We spent more in the Rule 4 draft than the Rays (by $2 mm) and the Yankees (by $2.5 mm). http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2010/08/bonus-expenditures-2008-10/

The Orioles have the lowest number of international prospects in their organizational top 30 of any team in the majors (3 of their top 30). http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/03/evaluating-international-signings-points-to-farm-system-health/

This really is meaningless. Who cares where the top prospects are from.

The Sano negotiations came off sounding bad back when he signed with Minnesota. Sano signed for about $3M. Andy said our offer wasnt close to that, so in truth he might not be honest about offering Sano 1st rd money. I forget how much Hobgood made, but it was probably around $3M.

The Sano negotiations came off sounding bad back when he signed with Minnesota. Sano signed for about $3M. Andy said our offer wasnt close to that, so in truth he might not be honest about offering Sano 1st rd money. I forget how much Hobgood made, but it was probably around $3M.

Hobgood signed for about 2.5 if I remember correctly. There is a big difference however between slot for a top 5 or so pick, which is around where Baltimore picks every year, and the bottom of the round. I think the O's probably offered #30 pick slot money for Sano, which is going to be a lot lower then 3 million.

This really is meaningless. Who cares where the top prospects are from.

When you have a decidedly average to below average farm system, and you choose to ignore a place to sign talent when 29 other teams have shown that it's worth a venture... I got news for you.

This isn't a situation where Andy can say "If twenty-nine baseball teams jump off a bridge; does that mean I should too?" This situation is more akin to "Just because 29 other teams wear deodorant does that mean I should too?" Yes Andy, you absolutely should because your baseball team reeks. Please wear deodorant. Please jump off the bridge with everyone else too. We need to start scouting international talent. We need to start doing it well. Hector Veloz is not a good faith effort. Koji Uehara, while probably the best pitcher on the team at the moment is 36 years old. That is not a good faith effort.

I liked this answer: "If you want to put $5 million down on batting practice, have at it. Now, in three years, if I'm wrong and I see that's where you should be, then we'll be there. But I am going to need to see proof that I am wrong, that's all."

Where's the proof he's wrong?

I liked this answer: "If you want to put $5 million down on batting practice, have at it. Now, in three years, if I'm wrong and I see that's where you should be, then we'll be there. But I am going to need to see proof that I am wrong, that's all."

God is this a bad argument. How many IFAs have received $5 million? Mr. MacPhail is using hyperbole to try and prove a point. He confesses to have not actually done or read any studies on seven figure investment in IFA. His entire interview was full of hyperbole and almost nothing of substance. You'd think the person in charge of making all of these investment decisions would need to resort to overstatement to try and prove a point. He should have some substance to back up his opinion, right? Especially considering it is flying in the face of what a bunch of other ML organizations are doing...

He won't do the study.

God is this a bad argument. How many IFAs have received $5 million? Mr. MacPhail is using hyperbole to try and prove a point. He confesses to have not actually done or read any studies on seven figure investment in IFA. His entire interview was full of hyperbole and almost nothing of substance. You'd think the person in charge of making all of these investment decisions would need to resort to overstatement to try and prove a point. He should have some substance to back up his opinion, right? Especially considering it is flying in the face of what a bunch of other ML organizations are doing...
So which of the recent big bonus signings do you think we have missed out on. Sano? or this 5M kid that Texas signed? They're 16 YO. Your argument seems to be other organizations are doing it so we should be too. What am I missing here? We are spending middle of the road money in the DR. It would be silly to try to match theMFY's spending. We are targeting a certain type of player that we think fits our needs. It's too soon to see results from 16 YO we signed 3 years ago. Why are you so sure this is the wrong approach?

So which of the recent big bonus signinggs do you think we have missed out on. Sano? or this 5M kid that Texas signed? Theyre 16 YO.

Carlos Martinez, STL, around $1.5 million

Miguel Sano, MIN, around $3 million

Ronald Guzman, TEX, around $3.5 million

have been my favorites going back to last July.

Question for you, if Guzman and Hernandez were given their "crazy" bonuses from Texas based on "batting practice" then why are there quotes from their scouts on each's ability to recognize pitches and differentiating between in-game power and BP power right now?

And I guess it must be true that it wasn't Guzman playing at the nationally televised Under Armour All-America Game and in the Dominican Prospect League -- some sort of body double maybe? -- since we know the guys getting multi-million dollar deals in Latin America only take batting practice and refuse to play in any organized games...

Archived