How about some love for Andino

CA-ORIOLE

Yeah the UZR/150 makes it look a lot worse I guess. I do think there are issues with positioning/luck/pitching here. I've noticed him shade a lot towards the middle even with a LH batter up, so I would have guessed he had more issues to his left not his right. You have the FB breakdown right?

If he shades toward the middle, doesn't that mean he's less confident of going to his right?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he shades toward the middle, doesn't that mean he's less confident of going to his right?

I doubt Andino has any confidence issues in the field. My impression was he was positioning himself based on what the pitchers were trying to do. I assume that's a team thing. It seamed to me he was shaded too far up the middle against some LH batters and the pitcher was trying to pitch to the outside corner. In theory that seams fine, but I've noticed a few balls get through the hole between first and second. That's just a casual observation on a few plays.

Maybe it's a residual of Buck's philosophy of playing off the corners. I really don't know or have enough data to make a conclusion. Sounds like El Gordo has FB breakdown numbers which show him weaker up the middle than in the hole.

Yeah the UZR/150 makes it look a lot worse I guess. I do think there are issues with positioning/luck/pitching here. I've noticed him shade a lot towards the middle even with a LH batter up, so I would have guessed he had more issues to his left not his right. You have the FB breakdown right?
FB has him +1 to his left, 0 st.on, -8 to his right. He is +2 on pop ups. .517 on DP's. In terms of total runs, he is worth 43, 3 more than Reynolds.........:scratchchinhmm:

Andino has been pretty steady recently. He did have an at bat last night where he didn't run hard out of the box until he saw the short stop bobble it, then he started to hustle. If he would have ran it out hard there would have been bases loaded with Hardy coming up. It could have made a difference. They made a point to point it out coming back from comercial on the Royals broadcast. Since I live outside of Philly now, I have to buy the MLB package and can't always watch the MASN feed.

Should be non-tendered or traded this offseason if the Orioles actually want to win next year.

They can do better.

What Drungo and Frobby said. Seriously, he can play 3b, ss, 2b, and is not a black hole with the stick. Good role/bench player. I'm not sure how non-tendering Andino would make the Orioles win next year.

He's a back up infielder, for God's sake! The dilemma here is Roberts. Andino would fit perfectly starting 40-60 games spelling Hardy and Roberts when they need a day off or having a nagging injury. But when he's playing every day, the drop-off from Roberts or Hardy is very significant.

Well that's my point. Hardy and Roberts are both injury risks, so you've pretty much got to have somebody who can be a regular backing them up.

Aviles would have been perfect but the Red Sox traded for him. Clint Barmes is a good option for us IMO among others that are improvements over Andino.

FB has him +1 to his left, 0 st.on, -8 to his right. He is +2 on pop ups. .517 on DP's. In terms of total runs, he is worth 43, 3 more than Reynolds.........:scratchchinhmm:

Thanks, not what I would have thought based on some sparse anecdotal evidence.

Well that's my point. Hardy and Roberts are both injury risks, so you've pretty much got to have somebody who can be a regular backing them up.

Sure, it would be nice to have a major league regular sitting on the bench, but good luck with doing that with limited resources. It doesn't make logical sense to pay the price to get two starting middle infielders for the same position when you could get a guy like Andino to be a backup and use the remaining resources to fill one of the other 26 holes on the roster.

Aviles would have been perfect but the Red Sox traded for him. Clint Barmes is a good option for us IMO among others that are improvements over Andino.

The same Aviles who's a .676 hitter over the last three years, is not hitting this year, is 30 years old, and is a career -5 fielder? The last three seasons combined he's been worth 0.3 wins. Over the same timeframe Andino has been a more valuable player. Barmes is marginally better, but he'll also cost something to acquire and will almost certainly be looking for a starting job.

The Orioles aren't UNC or Duke basketball, where top players are jumping at the chance to sign up and sit on the bench. Basically if you want to mis-allocate resources to get a starter to sit on the O's bench, you'll have to trade for him and tell him to shut up, sit down, and like it.

Re: Andino - I love Flat Brim. He hustles and he tries hard. Loved seeing him go 1st to 3rd on the pickoff bad throw the other night. He is hitting .272 and getting on base and playing good defense. What more do we want out of a second baseman?

Somebody that will help the Orioles win as many games as they can.

Somebody that will help the Orioles win as many games as they can.

I'd rather have Andino over Barmes/Avilles. I think he's got more upside. The better option imo would be going with Adams at second (keeping Andino as backup) if Brob fails. He's got options and gives us some flexibility. I don't buy the he can't field stuff and I definitely think he can hit. We could also sign somebody like Adam Kennedy as a corner uiltity guy that can play second against tough RHP.

He's a back up infielder, for God's sake! The dilemma here is Roberts. Andino would fit perfectly starting 40-60 games spelling Hardy and Roberts when they need a day off or having a nagging injury. But when he's playing every day, the drop-off from Roberts or Hardy is very significant.

This is exactly right. Andino is actually a very good backup ute. We don't need Andino to step it up, we need a solid 2Bman.

That's silly. Good teams always have players worse than Robert Andino on their roster. They shouldn't be penciling him into a starting role, but you'd darn well better have a plan to replace players besides "get rid of everyone who's not an All Star and figure out the rest later."

so Andino explains our high position in the standings? hahahahahha!

Archived