BOISE STATE: 3 Years Straight Years Starting tough against Ranked Teams, Winning anyway

OFFNY

They have to do it now because their stadium is too small. There's not enough money in it for the big schools to play in Boise when they can schedule another home game. That's why Boise has to do a 2-for-1, an away game, or a neutral site game. They can cry about it all they want, but that's how it works.

I don't want to hear "that's how it works". That's the key sign of a broken system.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to hear "that's how it works". That's the key sign of a broken system.

I don't care what you want to hear. That's how the system works, as "broken" as it is. College football isn't pure, it isn't a charity, and money is a significant factor. If you believe it has ever been otherwise, you're crazy. You can sit there and wax poetic about how unfair the system is, but until a suitable solution is found, presented, and enacted Boise has to work within the confines of the system as it is. And under the current confines of the system, Boise is not doing everything it can to build up a suitable NC resume. Anyone saying otherwise is just kidding themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Boise has a solid football team, but this year they play an annually disappointing Georgia team coming off a sub-.500 year, TCU (who already lost to Baylor), and a bunch of mediocre-at-best teams. If that earns them a shot at the NC over a team that has played 7-8 actual tough games (including multiple tough games in a row), then how would that be any better?

My main problem with Boise is that they make these ridiculous home-and-home offers to schools that they know are never going to accept due to monetary reasons and then they act like the school is chicken for turning them down. That's just disingenuous. It's unfortunate that they are at such a disadvantage because they play in a crappy conference and have a tiny stadium, but it is THEIR responsibility to make up for that disadvantage. The big schools don't need Boise, don't care about Boise, and have no responsibility to help Boise out. There are of plenty of other teams out there to play and plenty of other matchups that can be just as beneficial competitively while being suitable monetarily.

In sum, if Boise wants big teams to make monetary sacrifices in terms of "competitive fairness," then it best be willing to make competitive sacrifices in terms of monetary fairness. And if Boise doesn't like it, they can (a) cry, pout and never get a shot at a NC or (b) come up with a new system that addresses everyone's concerns (competitive, monetary, etc.).

You can sit there and wax poetic about how unfair the system is, but until a suitable solution is found,

A solution was found over 100 years ago. A playoff. Unfortunately, Division I-A college football doesn't agree with the 32,596 other sports that do agree with it ........ including every other division of college football, Little League baseball, and teen-aged thumb wrestling.

A solution was found over 100 years ago. A playoff. Unfortunately, Division I-A college football doesn't agree with the 32,596 other sports that do agree with it ........ including every other division of college football, Little League baseball, and teen-aged thumb wrestling.

I'd love it if there was a playoff. I think there should be one. Doesn't change the fact that Boise doesn't do enough under the current system.

I'd love it if there was a playoff. I think there should be one. Doesn't change the fact that Boise doesn't do enough under the current system.

First of all, Boise State has done plenty under this completely irrational, incorrigible system. Secondly and more importantly, that issue is a raindrop in a storm. Boise State not playing a harder schedule is about as significant as air conditioners in winter when compared to the fact that the NCAA is as backward an organization as there is ....... particularly when it comes to not having a playoff system for its most prolific show (Division I-A football). A playoff would eliminate all disputes. The NCAA has ignored this necessity for decades, and is showing no signs of amending it.

I think they do the best they possibly can. You mention the big schools needing their revenues as a reason not to schedule home-and-homes with Boise State. Well, Boise State can't operate their athletic department without revenues either. A 2-for-1 or 1-time road game for a couple hundred thousand can't generate the revenues that a full home stadium (even at a capacity of 33,000) can. Again, I'm not suggesting the rest of college football take pity on them for that and make exceptions only for them. But at the same time to point at them and say "you aren't doing all you can" is not accurate.

• 3 years later...

o

Boise State won their 3rd straight Fiesta Bowl.

2006, 2009, and 2014.

Included in their win was another "Statute of Liberty" play for one of their touchdowns.

Fiesta Trifecta: No. 20 Boise State Beats No. 10 Arizona for Third Fiesta Bowl Win

(By Chadd Cripe)

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/01/01/3568972/fiesta-trifecta.html?sp=/99/104/125/124/1691/

Look at that schedule for Boise! A bunch of garbage.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/04/2014-college-football-strength-of-schedule-ncaa-method/

Winning % of opponents - 50.98% - tied for 74th.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

66th ranked schedule above.

http://www.sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Sagarin - ranks Boise 37th overall with 74th strength of schedule and one game - a loss - versus top 30 opponents.

Folks can chat up this program all they want, frankly, I'm not sure why anyone is listening.

Archived