Is Yankee/Red Sox Hegemony coming to an end?

Frobby

As the money keeps flowing so will the wins. If not for a complete catastrophe of injuries and other off field issues Yanks would have been right there with Red Sox.

And it looks like the "money will keep flowing" for the NYY. There are multiple stories in the sports pages and web sites suggesting the NYY will be looking to spend $300 million during this off season and they have a pretty impressive shopping list.

From 2012

Philadelphia: $169,728,180Boston: $168,614,614L.A. Angels: $160,146,581L.A. Dodgers: $129,080,186St. Louis: $115,449,953Chicago Cubs: $107,708,021N.Y. Mets: $103,710,802Chicago White Sox: $101,763,212Minnesota: $101,165,992Milwaukee: $99,931,760Atlanta: $97,254,832Toronto: $92,133,335Miami: $89,875,132

I'm on the record as stating that this entire Red Sox season was one large middle-finger stuck up at the regression gods.

I expect them to finish 3rd in the division next year, at best.

#hopeful

They were the luckiest team of all time.

Edited by weams

They were the luckiest team f all time.

I just look at their roster and yes, they have some talent, but guys like Nava, Carp, Steven Drew, Iglesias, Saltalamacjkaia, Napoli, Gomes, David Ross, Middlebrooks, whoever the hell also played 3rd for them when Middlebrooks wasn't playing well, etc etc. Felix Dubront, Koji retiring 395 straight batters etc etc

I mean, a lot of these guys are has-beens or never-weres (this guy's dead! Cross him off the list!) and they came together and just rolled.

Now they may lose Ellsbury and I really really think they're gonna get hit hard by the regression monster. Or maybe these guys are all awesome.

I just look at their roster and yes, they have some talent, but guys like Nava, Carp, Steven Drew, Iglesias, Saltalamacjkaia, Napoli, Gomes, David Ross, Middlebrooks, whoever the hell also played 3rd for them when Middlebrooks wasn't playing well, etc etc. Felix Dubront, Koji retiring 395 straight batters etc etc

I mean, a lot of these guys are has-beens or never-weres (this guy's dead! Cross him off the list!) and they came together and just rolled.

Now they may lose Ellsbury and I really really think they're gonna get hit hard by the regression monster. Or maybe these guys are all awesome.

Well, they cheat well.

I bet the Orioles could've won a World Series too with an extra 60 million or so to spend...

Lets see...maybe we'd have Darvish? or Cliff Lee? Instead of a potential Feldman signing this off season maybe we'd see Tanaka?

Not trying to say the Orioles would definitely be able to leap to the front of the standings with more money but it without a doubt wouldn't hurt!!

Whatever your interpretation of "hegemony" is, I believe that this has all played out very interestingly.

OThe A.L. East was unquestionably marked by Yankee/Red Sox hegemony from 2003-2007 ........ then the Rays got up there from 2008-present, winning one pennant, making 3 postseason appearances, and are now well on their way to their 6th consecutive winning season. It was the Yankees and the Rays on top of the division in 2010-2011 (thanks in part to the Orioles taking 5 out of 7 games from the Red Sox in the final week and-a-half of the 2011 season.) Then the Yankees, the Orioles, and the Rays all won 90 or more games in 2012, with the Rays being the odd man out of the postseason at 90-72, while the Red Sox floundered all the way down to last place, at 69-93. Now, the Red Sox have regained their dominance atop the division this year. They (the Red Sox) really putting the hammer down in the last 3 weeks, going 15-4 in their last 19 games to go from being in a 1st place tie with the Rays to having a commanding 8 and-a-half game lead. The Bostonians are almost certainly assured of coasting to the (A.L. East) title ........ but the Yankees have slipped back, and are in danger of missing the postseason for only the 2nd time in the last 18 years.

Even with the Rays and the Orioles hammering their way into contention as of late, at least one of these teams (the Yankees or the Red Sox) have managed to stay at or very near top of the A.L. East., one way or the other. Fortunately for us, we are no longer the doormats of the division, and (along with the Rays) will be trying to knock both of these teams out of the postseason in the same year in 2014 and beyond. But as of now, they both just won't go away at the same time.

Maybe next year.

They were the luckiest team of all time.

I don't know about that, but I do think the Blue Jays this past year were one of the unluckiest teams of all time. At the present time, I don't think it would take that much for the most of the teams in the AL East to fall to the bottom of the division or rise to the top. Even though the Rays have so much consistency and depth because they are so well managed, they could fall to the bottom if they trade away Price or not re-sign someone like Loney and not find way to replace their production. The Red Sox could find themselves in a similar position since they seem to be shying away from big free agent contracts at the moment. On the opposite end of the spectrum the Yankees could wind up as the Blue Jays if even more high priced players get hurt or just tail off. In some way the O's are in the most precarious position because they don't have that much depth, their management has a mixed track record, and they obviously cannot spend with New York, Boston and Toronto. There is a great deal of parity in the AL East right now but the reasons why, team by team, is fascinating. It's hard to see any of these teams being dominant any time soon and predicting failure or disappointment for any of them seems pointless too.