Is Yankee/Red Sox Hegemony coming to an end?

Frobby

They'll be back. Next year they add Scherzer and Shields to their rotation and get ARoid back to DH, as well as signing Miller for the pen along with Betances, and maybe Robertson back. Oh and Hanley at SS.

Next year, they very well could be. And the O's could be a shell of their current selves. As for this year though... the dream's dead.

The Yanks actually get a HUGE boost with Jeter's retirement. They were paying one of the worst regular SS's in the game more than $20 million a year for a couple years there.

I don't know that A-Rod's return will pay big dividends, though, for the record. He hasn't been a particularly exceptional or healthy bat since 2010 or so... and he's coming off a full year away from the game.

I just look at their roster and yes, they have some talent, but guys like Nava, Carp, Steven Drew, Iglesias, Saltalamacjkaia, Napoli, Gomes, David Ross, Middlebrooks, whoever the hell also played 3rd for them when Middlebrooks wasn't playing well, etc etc. Felix Dubront, Koji retiring 395 straight batters etc etc

I mean, a lot of these guys are has-beens or never-weres (this guy's dead! Cross him off the list!) and they came together and just rolled.

Now they may lose Ellsbury and I really really think they're gonna get hit hard by the regression monster. Or maybe these guys are all awesome.

Cool story, bro.

It is anti-climatic when all the concern over the "buy a championship" approach has two of the highest spenders in baseball sitting on the sidelines watching the World Series along with teams that couldn't break 70 wins.

I think Dan Patrick had a poll recently regarding who's season would you rather have:

The Last Place Orioles with nothing to play for: Play a season ending series that ultimately eliminates a division rival in a final atbat

or

The Redsox: playing a high level of baseball aside from the start and finish but entering Sept 9 games up and sitting pretty. Only to be axed the last game of the season in a walk-off for the O's.

Orioles. Loved knocking the Sox out after all their Fenway South nonsense. Especially since they got nothing out of it and it was the start of a new era of O's baseball - the Showalter Era.

o

(POSTED ON SEPTEMBER 14, 2013)

o

Whatever your interpretation of "hegemony" is, I believe that this has all played out very interestingly.

OThe A.L. East was unquestionably marked by Yankee/Red Sox hegemony from 2003-2007 ........ then the Rays got up there from 2008-present, winning one pennant, making 3 postseason appearances, and are now well on their way to their 6th consecutive winning season. It was the Yankees and the Rays on top of the division in 2010-2011 (thanks in part to the Orioles taking 5 out of 7 games from the Red Sox in the final week and-a-half of the 2011 season.) Then the Yankees, the Orioles, and the Rays all won 90 or more games in 2012, with the Rays being the odd man out of the postseason at 90-72, while the Red Sox floundered all the way down to last place, at 69-93. Now, the Red Sox have regained their dominance atop the division this year. They (the Red Sox) really putting the hammer down in the last 3 weeks, going 15-4 in their last 19 games to go from being in a 1st place tie with the Rays to having a commanding 8 and-a-half game lead. The Bostonians are almost certainly assured of coasting to the (A.L. East) title ........ but the Yankees have slipped back, and are in danger of missing the postseason for only the 2nd time in the last 18 years.

Even with the Rays and the Orioles hammering their way into contention as of late, at least one of these teams (the Yankees or the Red Sox) have managed to stay at or very near top of the A.L. East., one way or the other. Fortunately for us, we are no longer the doormats of the division, and (along with the Rays) will be trying to knock both of these teams out of the postseason in the same year in 2014 and beyond. But as of now, they both just won't go away at the same time.

o

(POSTED ON NOVEMBER 2, 2013)

Maybe next year.

DEFINITELY next year (which is now this year.)