Is Yankee/Red Sox Hegemony coming to an end?

Frobby

1 hour ago, weams said:

The surprise for me in that article...

Hanser has a shot at the batting title.  The nonsuprise is dombrowski ruined another organization.  At least this time he won them a title.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The surprise for me in that article...

Hanser has a shot at the batting title.  The nonsuprise is dombrowski ruined another organization.  At least this time he won them a title.

The Red Sox knew the real when they got involved with Dombrowski. It’s like dating a stripper, you know it’s not going to work out in the long run. You just hope you don’t come home to an empty apartment one day. 

The Red Sox at least have the $$$ to dig themselves out of their hole relatively quick unlike the Tigers. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Red Sox knew the real when they got involved with Dombrowski. It’s like dating a stripper, you know it’s not going to work out in the long run. You just hope you don’t come home to an empty apartment one day. 

The Red Sox at least have the $$$ to dig themselves out of their hole relatively quick unlike the Tigers. 

I have no idea what budgetary restraints the Tigers are under.  Do you have a source?

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea what budgetary restraints the Tigers are under.  Do you have a source?

This is from Forbes. The Red Sox are estimated to have generated $516M of revenue in 2018 and the Tigers generated $276M.

When Mike Ilitch was near the end of his life he went all in on big contracts to win a World Series, but that quickly changed after this death and the Tigers not being a playoff contender anymore.

Tigers are still feeling the effects as they are stuck paying Miggy (still owed $124M after this year) and Zimmermann. If those funds were invested into player development, it seems likely they would rebuild the franchise faster. This isn't as much of an issue for the Red Sox who who can carry bad contracts, and still have revenues to invest in the farm system.  

https://www.forbes.com/teams/boston-red-sox/#5f7034f87d42

https://www.forbes.com/teams/detroit-tigers/#6810d93971e0

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since I define Yankee/Red Sox hegemony to mean that both teams are very good at the same time, I’m heartened by the Red Sox’s fall from grace this year.    I think with some good moves they could be back in the playoffs next year, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if they’re mediocre for a while.   The Yankees, on the other hand, look poised to be atop the division for a while.    They had a ton of injuries and still ran away with the division.    

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since I define Yankee/Red Sox hegemony to mean that both teams are very good at the same time, I’m heartened by the Red Sox’s fall from grace this year.    I think with some good moves they could be back in the playoffs next year, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if they’re mediocre for a while.   The Yankees, on the other hand, look poised to be atop the division for a while.    They had a ton of injuries and still ran away with the division.    

https://sports.yahoo.com/john-henry-tom-werner-official-000218358.html

Red Sox spent more than $240 million last year and will be in that range again this year. If they spend beyond the tax threshold again in 2020, they'll trigger the most onerous penalties, with a tax of 50 percent on every dollar spent over $208 million, 95 percent on every dollar over $248 million, and a sliding scale in between. They could end up making a tax payment of more than $20 million.

They want to reset all of those penalties, and there's only one way to do it -- start hacking off some limbs.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, weams said:

Next year's threshold goes up to $208 million, and the Red Sox will be helped by the departure from the payroll of $56.82 million invested in five players: Rick Porcello ($20,625,000), Pablo Sandoval ($18,445,000), Mitch Moreland ($6.5 million), Steve Pearce ($6,250,000) and Eduardo Nunez ($5 million).

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27715496/john-henry-wants-boston-red-sox-avoid-luxury-tax-20

• Upvote 1